• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sanford Fl. to Robins AFB Ga.

RAYZER

Hi Folks.
I am scheduled to pick up my recently aquired m373 trailer from Robins AFB on 6/23.
My plans are to leave Sanford on the 23rd at 3 am and travel 380 miles to To Robins before noon, hook up and start on the return trip before stopping for some sleep.
I'll be running solo and driving the Deuce Tractor.
My route will be: Sanford, 1-4 to 414 to 429 to turnpike to 75
to Robins AFB Ga.
I'll post my progress along the way.

jbayer

Hi Folks.
I am scheduled to pick up my recently aquired m373 trailer from Robins AFB on 6/23.
My plans are to leave Sanford on the 23rd at 3 am and travel 380 miles to To Robins before noon, hook up and start on the return trip before stopping for some sleep.
I'll be running solo and driving the Deuce Tractor.
My route will be: Sanford, 1-4 to 414 to 429 to turnpike to 75
to Robins AFB Ga.
I'll post my progress along the way.
Lord willing I should be heading South on I-75/Turnpike in my M923 on the way back to the Keys as you are heading up.
Safe travels to both you guys.
Either one of you have A/C in your trucks?

RAYZER

Safe travels to both you guys.
Either one of you have A/C in your trucks?
Yeah right!!
I hope it's not 100° next week!
The killer will be hooking up and getting out of there solo!
We picked up a trailer a couple weeks ago out of Stewart, it was brutal even with two of us!
That truck had air conditioning, it was still Hot!

belmor

Nope, no AC. People ask all the time how we live in the Keys with the heat-they are nuts!

I just looked at the forecast for my trip home and it is going to be hotter in Kansas than it is down here, at least here we have the breeze off the water most days!

3dAngus

It's 100 degrees every day this week, and next, so to speak, where the reality on the thermoter will say between 97-101, but hotter with the "feels like" index.

We are in an early heat wave in Middle Georgia where every day for the next ten days it is a scorcher.
Be careful out there. Your cab will reach 120 degrees in the middle of the day driving on hot pavement without air conditioning.

Ray, this is one time, for healths sake, I highly recommend you take it on the road in the dark when the nights are in the low 70s. You are likely to have heat stroke or heat exhaustion if driving between 11AM and 7PM.
Even the young suffer under these conditions. Bring gallons of water, and if you get in a bind, give me a call.
I'm not licensed for a big truck, but have an air conditioned pickup for a rescue vehicle.
PM sent...

3dAngus

By the way, the 23rd will be the coolest day in the next ten. Today it will hit 101 with a "feels like" of 105 degrees.
On the 23, it will be a cool 97 degrees, which will push the "feels like" temp to 100.
That of course, is if nothing changes, and it usually does when we get closer to the actual date.
Best of luck. Let us know how it goes, and I PMed my numbers in case you need me.

glassk

I know someone in Perry , that does welding and works on a lot of Trailers for folks at the AG Center, that will be about 30 miles on the road that would be time to see if hubs and all are OK, if you want his number PM me ,

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ray - Keep two coolers with you. One for food and drinks, and a small one to use to keep you cool. Load up the small cooler with ice and three washcloths. When the ice melts, you can wet your face, forehead, neck, and arms. The evaporating water will cool your core body temperature. Keeping the washcloths in a cooler separate from your drinks will keep your drinks colder. You will open the small cooler far more frequently than the drink cooler, and you want your drinks to stay as cold as possible. I used this technique to survive my first 3 years of living in FL. My car didn't have A/C.

I cut some pieces of interior carpet for the floorboards of my M1009 a couple of weeks ago. The carpet had been in my garage for over 17 years. I put the carpet over the top of some inexpensive Harbor Freight anti-fatigue mats to add a little extra material for noise and sound abatement. Adding those items made a substantial improvement in the comfort of my CUCV. I suggest you do the same to your tractor. :)

RAYZER

Thank you for that info and your concern,I think night travel will be the best idea, I will be for a few hrs in the hottest part of the day on wed but the rest can be in the cooler part of the morning.
Maybe wear long pants ( bdu's) and have a cooler full of ice, water and a wet towel.
In any event I'll watch myself!

3dAngus

I know someone in Perry , that does welding and works on a lot of Trailers for folks at the AG Center, that will be about 30 miles on the road that would be time to see if hubs and all are OK, if you want his number PM me ,
I think you made mention of such a fellow when you were here last but I didnt get his name and number down like I should have.
Would you mind PMing me his name and number as well?
Seems like that might be some useful info some day.

FloridaAKM

Good luck with your trip Ray, don't forget security @ WRAFB is serious about base security & they will go thru everything before letting you on base. Plenty of water, ice, cold drinks & drive in the early morning or @ night if possible will help put the heat @ bay!

RAYZER

Getting things together for departure and doing some truck maintenance today.
I have decided to leave from Sanford at 12m instead of 3 am so to put me at Robins around 9 am, I hear there's sometimes a line to get in at the commercial gate so better better to be early.
I'm taking a new nylon plate for the trailer pin plate so I don't have to smear grease on the 5th wheel, and a brand new (lucky) scepter water can that
Fuzzytoaster was so kind to send me!
uploadfromtaptalk1434970754076.jpguploadfromtaptalk1434970773755.jpguploadfromtaptalk1434970735208.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks