• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Saracen - British 6 wheel

JohnnyBM931A2

In the words of a British armor collector, "If you buy a Saracen and your wife doesn't divorce you, you found true love." The way I look at it, if she kicks me out to the curb, I have a place to sleep (back of a Saracen);). I tried to upload photo of Saracen, but something is glitching.
LOL.. That's funny. Well best of luck with your new toy! Can't wait to see the pictures :) 8)

mgkelly

I thought you had to get an approval to import something like a Saracen?

Seems that I recall the State Department stopping the import of armored military vehicles - calling them implements of war (?) or something like that - several years ago.

Good luck with yours!

Another Ahab

I thought you had to get an approval to import something like a Saracen?

Seems that I recall the State Department stopping the import of armored military vehicles - calling them implements of war (?) or something like that - several years ago.

Good luck with yours!
I like your location, mgkelly; that's funny!

acme66

Everything can be repowered/retransed right? Or are we talking a machine where the engine/transmission is a component of the hull?

Ken

Another Ahab

Everything can be repowered/retransed right? Or are we talking a machine where the engine/transmission is a component of the hull?

Ken
I'm not picturing that:

- Do you mean a build where the engine/ transmission is somehow an integral part of the hull; built into it?

acme66

Yea, something like that. Could you yank the engine/trans out swap in a smaller modern power plant with more HP say out of a pickup and just fab a drive line to the transfer case easy-peasy, or is the transmission also part of the suspension? 12v Cummins with an auto for instance.

Ken

datadawg

Been awhile since I logged in, so an update: I bought an MK6 version (latest iteration and up armored to deal with troubles in Northern Ireland). I had it fully overhauled in UK before importing it. Engine and transmission out, all mechanicals serviced, turret off, sandblasted and painted, electronic ignition added, etc. I decided that it's better to bite the bullet and have it fully done mechanically there by a shop that deals with British armor than import it and then have issues. It was a long and arduous process, but the smartest thing I did was not haggle on the overhaul price, as I didn't want the guy to cut corners. Imported it to US 2 years ago. Got it registered and insured, figuring I'd be taking the kids out for ice cream.

First time I drove it, people were pulling over and whipping out their phones. It was fun.

If you are interested in armor, Saracen is probably the most practical, usable and cost effective option out there. It can seat 10 (8 in seats, driver and commander in turret) and is wheeled, so you can actually drive it on the street. It does take lots of care, such as checking oil level in wheel hubs or making sure the nitrogen accumulators have pressure before driving. You're not just going to hop in and drive, like it's a 5 ton truck. But I was pleasantly surprised that mine started up after sitting for a year. Just needed to charge the batteries.

Here's a youtube clip of driving it in a parade with my 5 ton following.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj-WMhrUPQI

And a photo of it arriving from the port!

20151028_143650.jpg

Last edited:

datadawg

If you are looking to get one, my best advice is find the best one out there. It's much cheaper in the long run and more enjoyable. Also manuals are key. I wound up getting parts manual, service manuals, engine manuals, user manual, probably 10 binders of docs in all. It turned into a project in itself, as I had to find A4 sized notebooks and laminate sheets to fit the paper (wasted half the family European vacation hunting down stationary stores, LOL).

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks