• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Saved another one from the crusher/scrap yard.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

I picked this one up at Fort Dix, NJ and drove it 400 miles (8.5hrs) to Ohio. Ran like a top at 55MPH and didn't burn a drop of oil. Stopped frequently to check everything. It's going to join the other 3 already in the fleet after some paint work. I don't think the aluminum body was prepped correctly last time it was painted and the paint is peeling off. It has three brand new hard doors, new rims, and is very clean inside. The winch works too.

I wish these could be sold. Seems like such a waste. Hopefully, something might change and the ones saved from the scrap yard through this program might get out into circulation.

Yes Chris was great. A lot more laid back then other DLA places I have been for parts and/or vehicles. It was a long drive back, but enjoyable in the nice weather. Sunburned left arm :)

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HI them scrapping the HMMWV'S? :( thats about as stupid as when the did that to the M151's too, said they were to unsafe for civ use.

jdknech

I wish these could be sold. Seems like such a waste. Hopefully, something might change and the ones saved from the scrap yard through this program might get out into circulation.
you might look into it a bit farther.. the city police here just sold 3 of they're HMMWV's, and the county sold 1 of theres about a year ago... and they are for sure coming from the DMRO... but I am not sure how they are doing it...

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

So it isn't a personal vehicle? Nice score for wherever it is being used.

I wish it was a personal vehicle. These are for the agency I work for. The DLA has a law enforcement program where the surplus vehicles can be signed over to LE agencies at no cost. You do have to turn them in when no longer wanted. The surplus ones that LE agencies do not claim are destroyed, or "sold" to foreign governments.

jdknech: Not sure how those agencies can do that. The rules are clear when you enroll in the program. Some of the vehicles, sucha s cargo trucks and trailers, have different demil codes and can be disposed of by the agencies. HMMWV's definately not....as far as I know anyways.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agencies seem to forge that hmmwv's that are drmo'd out to them MUST return them when done....period.
if not, I wouldn't want to be the owner of one when the goverment comes looking for there truck.
they can go to other agency's via the correct paper work....but not sold off cuz they want to fund another project or they no longer need them.

once again....the us goverment does not sell hmmwv's at auction to the public.....period.

vitamink

Ok i just re read the whole thing. I missed the "LEO" portion of it and thought this was your personal vehicle. I'm glad i got one when i did, as the supply seems to be drying up. I just saw a bunch that were slated to go to Israel last time i was at the DRMO building. I'm glad you were able to save a few. Maybe someday they'll allow them to be sold again.

About 6 months ago, I was a Wright Patterson and Israel had a bunch reserved for them. I don't know what the sale price is.....

I have been pricing them as well to buy one. Sad thing is that if I sold the MV's that I have, I'd be close to having the cash :)

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
. Maybe someday they'll allow them to be sold again.
They were NEVER allowed to be Sold in the First Place....THe Original 1000 that got out was a SNAFU between the Marine Corp and United Defense Contractors.
DOD, AM General, DLA etc had no Idea what deal the MC cooked up...And being they were all handed over to UDC with SF97's there was not much anyone
could do...I mean, THey really could have if they wanted too. AM General Threw a Tizzy...even got with several State DMV's to stop any sort of Registration of the Trucks....Remember, they were sold as OFF Road Only....

kdaniels

As i remember there was a good many of the SF-97's that were not stamped "off road use only". I can say with certainty that mine had no stipulation like that on it. I had about 60-75 trucks to pick from over in Augusta Ga back in 2002. My understanding then was the USMC got approval from Congress to trade some surplus HMMV's located at Barstow and Albany supply depots to a contractor for gear needed that was not in the Corps budget at the time. It was the CONTRACTOR who sold them @ auction in Atlanta. I have heard over the years of people who got SF-97's with OFF ROAD only on their forms that had a hard time getting a title.

I took the MV issue that detailed the sale and my SF-97 down to the tag office to apply for tag/title. Been a happy Humvee owner ever since.

SEMPER FI !!

keith

TehTDK

What is so special about the hummer that makes it impossible to buy as a civilian. Its not as if its armoured or anything and in that aspect more or less just a bigass 4x4.

I mean where I live most of the MV's are getting Demilled or sent back to the company they were bought for, primarily because they are armoured etc. All because the danish government doesn't want to sell "war stuff" to its civilian population.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We're the goverment and we're here to help....LOL

its the same with the M151, they cited safety concerns, but thats BS IMHO.
personally I beleive its AM General as they are the ones who made the biggest stink....

jpinst

We're the goverment and we're here to help....LOL

its the same with the M151, they cited safety concerns, but thats BS IMHO.
personally I beleive its AM General as they are the ones who made the biggest stink....
What makes the government's position almost insane is that they will not sell most vehicles other than trucks, including armor and tracked vehicles to the public or even to somebody with a licnese for $2K worth of scrap when they coul have sold it to a collector for a $100K. its not that they are not safe, because you can buy tanks and apc's from the British MOD and import them to the US yourself and many do already. the government is wasting an opportunity to recoup much from their unwantred waste amd instead they throw it away.

Then again, before we arrived here in Afghanistan, we were given a list of all the issued gear that the government wants to take back, including parkas, back pack, canteen, camelbacks, etc. Yet, you can see what they do with all of that...you can buy them on GL by the hudnreds and it comes out to about .25 cents per assult pack..make me wonder why they just don't let us keep it.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks