• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Saved Deuce

poppop

I saved a couple of Dueces from the scrapper earlier in the year. They were at a surplus store and had sat there for years. The City ordered the owner to clean up his lot and when he refused the city had the vehicles towed. The tow company owner was a good friend of a friend of mine. When the company had to move he was going to scrap the dueces and even though they were in bad shape from sitting for years I could not stand to see them cut up. I paid $1000.00 each for them. One started right up and ran good, the other had a stuck fuel shut-off rod but started right up when it was freed. The sheet metal and beds are very rusted from neglect and being filled with garbage and leaves but they run great and all the drive tran works great, both have air-shift t-cases, most guages and lights work as do the in tank fuel pumps. I removed the dropside bed from this truck and put this 1200 gallon tank on it to supply my sprayers. It handles it very well. The tank previously was on a 1964 f-600 ford single axle whose cab was almost totally rusted away. The brakes were the main problem and the whole system had to be cleaned up and rebuilt. I did not have to buy any hard parts, just hone and put in kits. The air-pac cleaned up great and works good with no new parts. It looked almost new, just corroded and stuck. The second truck will require the same with the brakes and I have already done the master cylinder and air pac. Even though they are rusted bad they will serve me a long time and now they have their dignity back. Oh, and I just bought another Duece last week, why is it I think I have to save them all:cry:
Does this sickness ever get better or am I infected for life??:razz:

maybefixit

I think the tank looks like a good natural fit. It looks like a good hardworking truck. Congrats on saving it from the scrapyard and letting it earn its keep!