• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

saving military communications gear at hamfests

papakb

Our local Amateur Radio Club, ASVARO is a complete washout! Covid killed everything here in the SF Bay Area in '20 and '21 and so far they've done their best to continue the void. They tried to get something together last year at a local library that was pathetic. To small an area where they had to turn vendors away in the middle of a residential neighborhood that complained like a banshee about the traffic and noise. After that they just went dark, even their website looks like a California desert ghost town. With hundreds of open buildings where their occupants have either shut down or moved away you would think there'd be a thousand places to hold another swap but right now it looks like there's still no effort on their part to put anything together.

This is an outgrowth of the original Foothill College meet that was spectacular and every second Saturday of the month you'd find hundreds of HAMs attending. It's moved several times from there and I sure hope someone/anyone will get their act together and get something going again. We need it to satisfy our fix on radio gear and they've just left us out in the cold!

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hear you, papakb. COVID restrictions did nothing to help out the show scene, for a bunch of hobbies. The Richmond Frostfest was a great show that I looked forward to going to every year, big show every February, it hasn't returned yet. A lot of little shows have, but reduced attendance.

There are other dynamics at play as well. Show attendance has been falling in the last 10 years for this hobby, mainly to the aging/passing of the hams that have made the backbone of amateur radio. While true that there are more hams ever in history, the majority of those hams are the younger plug-n-play type operators that just want a new radio to plug in and use, and most of those types buy online through the mail. Also, if you are an active hamfest goer, you'll notice a lot of them are starting to be overrun with people selling all manner of e-junk, like computer parts, cellphone stuff, etc. And not just e-junk, but yard sale items, beanie babies, record players and records, etc. The shows are getting a little washed out.

Also, it's getting harder and harder to find places that will allow a decent show for a decent price - there used to be a great show in Timonium, MD, that I went to and sold at for years. It took up several buildings at the fairgrounds, but got smaller and smaller until the prices charged by the show venue got too high for the show organizers to afford, so about 8 years back the show officially folded there. The venue owners have to worry about liability for injuries sustained onsite for stupid stuff, fire code enforcement, county/city fees, etc.

It's a sad state of affairs, but with all the dynamics at play, I feel we only have about 10-15 more years of what amateur radio operators would call a hamfest, before the costs of having a show, and the declining attendees at them, will doom the hamfest to history.

In the meantime, I will attend as many as I can and save as much as I can afford, to help keep them going.

Best of luck in your area for some shows you can go to!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another good show this morning in Vienna, VA, last full day of winter and boy it was acting like it with wind chills in the 20s this morning. This show used to be over at the community college in Annandale, this is the first year at a local high school instead, but it looks like the move didn't affect turnout, sometime a move signals it's not going to be as good, but this wasn't the case.

I was pleased to see LOTS of older boat anchor gear at this show, but surprisingly very little military gear. I usually see at least a handful of nice milspec radios but whoever brought them in the past just didn't show this time. Oh well, more money to spend at the next show.

Pics 1-3 - just an overview of the setup inside. Note the stacks of vintage gear in pic 3, this was all club-owned gear that was being sold to raise funds for the club operations. Hammarlund, Hallicrafters, TenTec, Tempo One, Johnson, Heathkit, lots and lots of back-aching boat anchors!

Pic 4 - Venerable ME-9E/U multimeter, big as a lunchbox and I was interested. No price listed and when I came back around it was gone.

Pic 5 - I posted pics of a rig like this years back, its a Navy-issued LM-13 frequency meter. Great little signal source for bench testing your receivers. Came with the calibration booklet too. Black box to the right of it is the hard-to-find power supply. They are rarely seen together. I didn't get the price, I wasn't really in the market for it since I already purchased a set of them at previous hamfests in better shape.

Pics 6-9 - what I purchased, handful of goodies (not including some civvy stuff):
- trio of Navy manuals on electronic theory, from the 1960s, $1 a piece
- ME-77E/U multimeter, I need another MM like I need another hole in the head, but for $5 I'll give it a home, even if it's missing the cover
- AN/PRM-10 grid dip meter, with all the cables and attachments, will come in handy in the shack in the future for $10
- H-22A handset, among other uses these were used on the Sherman tank exterior intercom set BC-1362 for infantry outside the tank to communicate to the inside tank crew, pretty neat and worth it to me for $10
- grey box in the back right was a test set of some sort, it was stripped out now it's a really nice storage box for $5
- couple odds and ends parts for a buck apiece

Always a fun day going to these shows, will report back in next time.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I missed a couple hamfests recently due to work conflicts, but I finally got to one last Saturday in Manassas Park, VA. Figures the one I get to is small-ish and I was done there in about an hour. Next big one in this area is in early August, I hope work doesn't rear its ugly head for that one.

Anyways, here's some mil stuff I saw at the show.

Pic 1: You never know what you'll see at a show - this is a rare RCA military backpack video transmitter. RCA experimented in the early 1950s with military and commercial video recording and signal transmitting systems,you had a camera in one hand and this unit, which weighed in excess of 50 pounds with the batteries, was a mobile wireless TV transmitter of sorts. Data tag says "Signal Corps Engineering Laboratories BACKPACK SET, High Mobility TV System...Contract No. DA-36-039 SC-64651, Radio Corporation of America." Pretty neat piece of history, for $900. I think eBay would have been a better market for this piece.

Pic 2: TV-7 tube tester, excellent shape with the manual, etc. $450 seems high to me, but it seems like what they are going for these days.

Pic 3: Pair of aircraft antenna relays. The left unit dates to the mid 1930s, BC-CC-196. Right unit is an RE-2/ARC-5 relay for the 1940s ARC-5s. Prices were flexible.

Pics 4-5: Seller had a pair of AN/PRC-59 units, marked for the Coast Guard. The PRC-59 were FM mobile transceivers, crystal controlled and operated in the 152-174 MHz, with output of 1 watt. So these were very local use, and the freqs. meant no ham radio use, but I thought they were kinda cool with the USCG emblem on the side. Little known fact: The Coast Guard is a military branch, but they are also under the control of the Department of Homeland Security - however, before 1967, they were under the control of the US Treasury Department, so that explains the data plate info. Seller was asking $50 for each of the units.

Pic 6: I'm not too familiar with foreign radios, seller had a British Clansman set, I believe that this is only the RF antenna tuning unit. He wanted $200, I think that's WAY too high for a tuning unit missing knobs, but like I said, I don't know foreign radios.

Pic 7: Same seller also had this for $200, and I think this was very fair, but once again, don't know foreign. He said it was Yugoslavian, from what I can see it is 2-12 MHz operation. I can't read the writing, I looked around on the internet for "yugoslavian military radio" and I only found a few conflicting reports of what it could be. Probably worth the asking price, wish I had a Yugoslavian jeep or tank to put it in.

Pic 8: military radio battery chargers. Nice condition, looks like they could charge all sorts of batteries, didn't get the price.

no pic - I didn't get my phone/camera out fast enough, guy managed to snag two PRC-6 walkie-talkies in good shape for $20 a piece, never seen a guy yank his wallet out that fast to purchase an item.

Pics 9-10: What I saved!

-I got that RE-2/ARC-5 antenna relay for $50 - I already have 2 for my ARC-5 collection, but this had the rare mount that I am missing
-Lot of 9 military oscilloscope manuals for $5 altogether
-set of new-in-the-wrap HS-16A headphones for $30

See you next time...

Attachments

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
If you happen into a SCR510 set up or parts there off, I’m in the market. I’m about to see if I can get one moved a cross the pond from France but having some issues getting someone to do it for me

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last Sunday I went to the Berryville VA hamfest; Berryville is always a big show and this time didn't disappoint. Beautiful weather, hundreds of tailgaters selling things, and lots of older equipment (including military rigs). I even got my daughter to come along and watch the table selling a few excess things while her old man went and bought more crap. :)

Lots of military things there this time! Here's the tour:

Pic 1: WWII era TBW ship-to-shore transmitter unit - I saw this at a show in 2017 and I have already talked about it, in fact I think this is the same unit. It was $200 in 2017, this time around it was $450. Wow inflation certainly has affected everything....

Pic 2: Aircraft BC-348 receivers, an "O" and an "R" variant. Nice shape, working condition, for $110 each, very good price for sought-after boat anchor radios.

Pic 3: A not-quite original ARR-15 aircraft receiver, mostly used in Navy aircraft during the 1950s when paired with a ART-13 transmitter. The front panel has been redone a bit. Covers 1.5 to 18.5 MHz in 6 bands, including 10 autotune channels. At $110 it was a good starter rig until you found one with the original front.

Pic 4: Another R-390, as mentioned in previous posts, but this one had a couple neat features - notice the radioactive warning stickers on the two meters, showing that they contained radium. A lot of original meters were removed for disposal prior to surplusing out to the public. The radium amount is very low, unless you open the meter (not needed) or glue the meter to your forehead for the next 20 years, you'll be fine. Also, notice the security dial cover over the freq. display in the center of the radio. Supposed to cover the operating frequency so that prying eyes walking by the receiver in installations won't know what it's tuned to, only the radio operator would know. Interesting Cold War history. The radio was $225, a fair price for a fair condition rig like this.

Pic 5: Hammarlund SP-600, military designation R-274C/FRR. I've mentioned these radios before as well, they turn up now and again. $150 could take this project home with you.

Pic 6: I'm kicking myself over these. WWII Navy receivers, RBB on the left, RBC on the right, cover 500 KHz to 4 MHz. Used through the 1950s. Each weighs over 80 lbs, just the radio. The units on top are the CRV-20130 power supplies. Each set (radio and power supply) was just $175, I have a friend with an RBB missing the PS, at this price I should've bought a set just to give him the PS. Hindsight is 20/20.

Pic 7: AT-1011 antenna set, $375 in excellent shape. Unit has the spring base, and 8 antenna sections, can be used as a mobile whip antenna (top three sections only) or use all 8 sections for an HF stationary setup. Can handle up to 1KW.

Pic 8. AM-6155 power amplifier, 50 watts output from a transmitter/exciter unit's 10 watts input. 225-400 Mhz freq. range. $50 isn't a bad price for any amp.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More pics of military gear, and my saves. These pics from the show are units that I was either too busy or too forgetful to ask how much they were.

Pic 1: A pair of PRC-25s, one had a H-250 handset, the other a H-189.

Pic 2: These were interesting, I didn't see a data plate on either unit. Anyone know what they are? Handsets are H-33, 1950s era stuff.

Pic 3: Another BC-348, this one is a "P" variant.

Pic 4: RACAL something-or-other on the left, PRC-104 battery box, a complete PRC-41 backpack radio on the right. TS-3354 test set for the PRC-68 handheld radio behind them.

Pic 5: BC-639A VHF AM receiver, used for ground-to-air communications during the war. Cover 100-156 MHz, but being AM only these aren't very useful for ham use in the VHF bands anymore.

Pic 6: TU-8B tuning units for the BC-191 or BC-375 WWII ground radio. The radio set used interchangable tuning drawers like this one, varying from 150 KHz to 12.5 MHz, to set the radio to the frequency range you wanted.

Pic 7: Parts and components for the TRC-24 or TRC-35 radio set, don't know much about this unit but as most surplus radio stuff goes, it looks heavy.

Pic 8: CV-531A/AR Frequency Converter-Transmitter. Think this was from the series of ARC radios that replaced the ARC-5 series. 1950s contract, this was brand new in the box. Probably came from Fair Radio back in the day!

Pics 9-10: THE MILITARY STUFF I SAVED!

-A nice working R-390A receiver, an early one made by Collins in the early 50s. This one even came in a heavy black-wrinkle-painted rack for $325.
-A VLF receiver, model WRR-3, 1950-60s Navy vintage. Working condition, made by Magnavox, for $70. Covers 14-600 KHz. Used primarily for ship-sub communications.
-ME-165 power meter, used to be with the AN/GRC-26 vehicular radio set, an invaluable shack tool for testing radio output, for $10
-stack of about 10 military manuals for $15
-WWII electrical connectors metal box, for $5
-another ARC-5 part, the VHF unit, in parts only condition, for $5
-H-251 headset for $5, will become part of the VRC-12 setup in my CUCV
-metal box with 100 radio crystals for various radio sets, $30

Sadly, only one more hamfest in my area this year, later in October. Will be back then...

Attachments

Last edited:

Hal O'Peridol

Another weekend, another hamfest. This time was the Manassas VA hamfest on June 8th. Beautiful weather and a good turnout, LOTS of military gear there, mostly WWII to 1950s. I was primarily there to sell some oddball things for a friend, ended up being a bust for me re: sales, but I didn't plan on making a million anyways.

Felt like shopping in Macy's with a WalMart budget - the few things I could buy were small items I added to the collection, but MAN there were some smoking deals on radio equipment there. An R-390A in PERFECT shape for $500 (they seem to bring over $1K nowadays on ePay). I love old ARC-5 radio sets from WWII, if anything for the history of them, and there were at least 15 of them at the show for $25 and under (including a couple perfect-condition transmitters for $25), but none came home with me. Oh well, once again, waiting for a good job or a winning lotto ticket.
That R 390 was a real good deal. Fantastic receivers . I used those when I was in the Army back in 1983 to 85. I've managed to pick up 3 so far, but would have bought that one. Best HF receiver ever.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This Sunday it was the Howard County hamfest in Maryland. Good turnout, though this one has been getting smaller over the years as well. Very little in the way of military radio gear, but I saved a handful of it.

Pic 1: Another BC-348 aircraft receiver, this one is an -R variant, so one of the later ones. This came with a dynamotor to power it, and from what I could see wasn't hacked on much if at all over the years. Lots of surplus radio gear has been modified and butchered over the decades, in the quest to make them "better" in some way or another. This leaves lots of holes, cuts, added or removed components that a restorer will have to hassle with getting it back to original, or even just working, condition. For $140, this was a great deal to get one that wasn't messed up at all.

Pic 2: Harris RF-550 receiver. Although not a military-looking rig, lots of installations used this higher-end solid state rig that receives from 10 KHz to almost 30 MHz. The seller wasn't around when I stopped by, so I have no price to go on. It would probably be a pretty penny if it functioned right...

And my saves!

Pics 3-5: Snagged a few little doodads while I was there.

- NIB Soviet morse key, very cool save! $50
- ME-61 field strength meter in nice shape, always useful, $20
- Pair of ARC-27 control heads, one with a wiring harness, $25
- J-37 US military morse key, $5
- wooden transit case of M8 fuze setter device, $5
- PRC-68 test set "briefcase", $5
- obligatory manual for a buck

Maybe one or two more hamfests this year, but I gotta drive a while to get to them, and we'll see what my work schedule allows. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve never heard of a Hamfest type event in SE Wyoming. There might be something down in Colorado. Due to there political issues I stay away from there. What I do have are yard sales, estate sales and junk shops. I’ve been collecting up stuff for my gun truck (I’ll try to remember to get some pics). I think I’ve got most everything necessary to power up a radio. Again, I need to take some pics.
In addition to some military gear, I’ve come across some really cool civilian radio gear. What I want to do is get a rig put together so I can scan the airwaves. There are HAM operators in the local area but I haven’t found a way to get in contact with them.
Is there a “recommended” radio set for scanning? I’m not even sure if I’m asking the right questions.
Pictures will be posted in the next day or so.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here’s the “hoard” of electronics I found at various sales. This doesn’t include the military stuff that is temporarily not accessible. It’s hornet season in SE Wyoming and I’m allergic to their sting. Anyway I don’t know what is or isn’t serviceable. Probably best to plug each one in at a time and hit the power switch?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks