• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Saw a HMMWV with mounted .50 cal driving in Orange, Texas?

krazyk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know who it was but a few days ago I saw a nice clean HMMWV with a mounted .50 caliber driving on Strickland Dr. in Orange Texas. I assume the .50 was not real and I almost pulled him over (no plates) to get the story but I was busy going somewhere. Anyone know who this would be?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah that dude used to post on here but it's been a long time. I can't remember if I called him out for his practice of driving around with mounted weapons fake or not. That has always been a huge nono in this hobby. Really freaks people out.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was El Chapo’s son driving his victory lap after his escape.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah that dude used to post on here but it's been a long time. I can't remember if I called him out for his practice of driving around with mounted weapons fake or not. That has always been a huge nono in this hobby. Really freaks people out.
Interesting. I get nothing but compliments about mine in the four counties I've traveled with it on. Local law enforcement usually wants to chat about the HMMWV and M2HB. Not in a matter of "public safety" or any concern. But rather just discussing a mutual interest.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting. I get nothing but compliments about mine in the four counties I've traveled with it on. Local law enforcement usually wants to chat about the HMMWV and M2HB. Not in a matter of "public safety" or any concern. But rather just discussing a mutual interest.
Not sure about your neck of the woods Drew but here in the Houston metro area, driving around with mounted weapons results in dozens of 911 calls and a bigtime butt chewing from the popo.

BLK HMMWV

I should qualify my post by saying that when ever I'm planning on driving my HMMWV with either a M2. 50, MK-19 40mm or the minigun up top I let the local LEO's know ahead of time.
I try and be very proactive so as not to shine un wanted attention to me or other fellow retired military vehicle owners or give the hobby a black eye.
I would only hope that whomever chose to drive in Orange TX may also have done the same.

JEB

As a former (west) Texan, driving with a .50 cal seems pretty normal!
Out there, you'd likely be asked why you left the heavy firepower at home.

Seriously, MV owners need to be a bit more public opinion savvy, no need to worry the populace or police.

I have a friend , a MV, collector, who lives near Orange, I'll ask if he knows the guy.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally, I find nothing wrong with a 50 cal. legally mounted.

Remember the Alamo and enjoy your FMV's all you Lone Star Staters.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I show War Wagon, I mount the .50’s and put ammo boxes in the trays. I leave them that way most of the time, it saves wear and tear on the guns. And no, they are not real. They are replicas I got from an online source. The only time I got pulled over was when I blew a stop sign. The officer was totally cool about it, especially since I told him I had a massive stupid attack. I pull up to the local Air Force Base with everything loaded up and the gate guards just wave me through. It helps that I’m retired AF.

Oh god it really depends what city in Texas your driving in. I can only imagine the large cities PO would freak out and itching to pull the trigger :burn:. Well you mention Air Force, I usually drive mine to work at JBSA only once in a hundred times did the gate guard ask "where is your front license plate" aua funny stuff I tell you. I did a show for the red cross downtown San Antonio and had all my fake ammo, grenades, 50cal and thee SAPD were just staring and talking it was really entertaining because I know they want to ask but didn't because they didn't want to sound scared :oops:.

Last edited:

krazyk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys sound like police officers.
Yeh, exactly.

I would only hope that whomever chose to drive in Orange TX may also have done the same.
And no, he didn't.

Lastly, no parade, he pulled into Home Depot. Registration is required for joy riding and errand running. I wasn't even going to hassle him about it, I was just too busy to stop.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks