• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Saw hmmwv's at NAS Jax DRMO

andytk5

I thought I read something about people buying them in parts from the auctions and reassembling them.

Kinda depends on how "disassembled" they are but if you are reassembling major sections at a time then I would do that. I'm not really interested in doing it an A arm here and a halfshaft there..

greenjeepster

I thought I read something about people buying them in parts from the auctions and reassembling them.
Could be done if you didn't mind buying 800 mirrors and 650 tail lights at a time... it would take years to get a complete one... In the last 8-10 years I have only seen a couple of chassis come through, and that is without a thing attached to them and cut in half.

The best chance of getting any is going to be through GSA. I doubt They will ever come through GL as anything but scrap.

Chief_919

Yep. there were some at Bragg as well last week, and they were discussing the demil procedures in the office. The frames and a-arms will be cut before they are sold on a scrap contract.

andytk5

That's too bad. That would be a cool addition but doesn't seem worth the trouble and all the attention surrounding them. I mean it's not like it's an MRAP or something...

SCRAP

I saw several in portsmouth virginia, almost made me drool, but they were all in various states of demil, some looked too nice to cut up, such a terrible waste.

andytk5

Makes me wonder since AM Gen doesn't sell the H1 anymore to the public for $100K+ (a cheap mil version would hurt sales) and with the Military budget on the chopping block they may be prompted to auction these puppies off.. Im sure the "no public sale" was in the orig contract when they began supplying them to the Govt, highly doubt "Uncle-nanny-Sam" gave a crap if we got hurt by buying the surplus trucks.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Makes me wonder since AM Gen doesn't sell the H1 anymore to the public for $100+ (a cheap mil version would hurt sales) and with the Military budget on the chopping block they may be prompted to auction these puppies off.. Im sure the "no public sale" was in the orig contract when they began supplying them to the Govt, highly doubt "Uncle-nanny-Sam" gave a crap if we got hurt by buying the surplus trucks.
The reason you'll never see any more complete HMMWVs come out is the same reason they destroyed the M151s. They are deemed unsafe for the public to own and drive.

I've noticed a bunch of municipalities are getting surplus HMMWVs lately. Every town in my neck of the woods has gotten one. I doubt you'll ever see many of these if any come through GSA either.

andytk5

Gotta love how they deem Hmmwv's "unsafe" but no problem on a 13,000# M35 that would barrel through a house... Or a giant high speed crane truck.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I doubt you'll ever see many of these if any come through GSA either.
If they get one from the govt, when done they are to be turned into GSA. They (GSA) are supposed to demil them prior to public sale. So no; none will be "legally" for sale in the future.:cookoo:

greenjeepster

Gotta love how they deem Hmmwv's "unsafe" but no problem on a 13,000# M35 that would barrel through a house... Or a giant high speed crane truck.
It has more to do with it being a "Tactical Vehicle" vs a "Cargo Truck." It is all in the Classification.

They will slip though GSA eventually.. GSA isn't very good an paying attention to the rules.

jwaller

If they get one from the govt, when done they are to be turned into GSA. They (GSA) are supposed to demil them prior to public sale. So no; none will be "legally" for sale in the future.:cookoo:
while this is true. I have already seen at least 1 slip thru the cracks.

andytk5

It has more to do with it being a "Tactical Vehicle" vs a "Cargo Truck." It is all in the Classification.

They will slip though GSA eventually.. GSA isn't very good an paying attention to the rules.
Well one can hope they slide through with "papers". Odd how we pay for all these things yet we are the last to ever have the "opportunity" to "pay" for them a second time and jump through allthese hoops, yet they hand this stuff out all over the world..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks