• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Say goodbye to ol' yeller

Jt Schill

I recently purchased a 77 M886. I guess it must have been some sort of rule that when these units left the military they needed to painted the ugliest color they could find. Mine was owned by the forestry department and need less to say the yellow paint was sprayed everywhere.

I didn't have the time or talent to paint it myself, so a local body shop mixed up a fair match for 34079 Forest. They used as much flattener to take the gloss out of so it looks ok.

Put the Red crosses on myself and still have to put the one on the roof.

Wrench Wench

I seem to recall some military personnel making comments above their paygrade to the effect that due to treaty provisions, it's illegal for a medical insignia like that to be emblazoned on anything other than an actual, in use ambulance/medical facility.

If the Federal government is impotent to force the state of Texas to give Mexican nationals on the Texas death row a new trial, IIIIIIIIII'm pretty darn sure they can't force an individual to change the pain scheme on their private property.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I seem to recall some military personnel making comments above their paygrade to the effect that due to treaty provisions, it's illegal for a medical insignia like that to be emblazoned on anything other than an actual, in use ambulance/medical facility.

If the Federal government is impotent to force the state of Texas to give Mexican nationals on the Texas death row a new trial, IIIIIIIIII'm pretty darn sure they can't force an individual to change the pain scheme on their private property.

I had mine for 5 years. That's the first I've heard of it.
Other than an insurance agent trying to make me commercial insurance because of it.

N1265

That M886 looks nice.

I suspect ( but am not 100 % sure ) That the " treaty " being talked about are from the " rules of war " and therefore don't apply in a non-combat theater.

Anyway, treaty's are with countries, and since we are not at war with any country there is No " treaty " violation....

IMO

Now if the Taliban or Osama Bin-Ladin wants to start talking.....

N1265

Here is another thought,

A trip to the American Red Cross might yield some useful information, If it is an actual treaty violation then they should have some regulations on marking their vehicles.

If memory serves me right I have seen some passenger cars of theirs marked with the cross. ( magnetic signs )

jimm1009

M880

A similar thing happened to a friend of mine who had a M880 from an MP group.
It came with the blue lights and the state police did not like that at all.
The truck was legally registered as required and it was completely restored and fully funtional and he used it as a driver once every other week or so to keep things lubed and to help his "smile factor".
They tried to fine him but it was thrown out of court due to the fact that it was an "OEM Correct" Military Collector's "restored" vehicle and if lights were required to make it correct then that is the way it is.
Now, if he ever turned the lights on while driving down a public road they would probably jack up the jail and plant him underneath although he was allowed to use them in the Veterans day parade as part of the parade group.
I would print out the marking requirements for the truck in the TM for painting that vehicle and show them if anyone give you too much greif over it.
If a particular vehicle must have special markings to be "mission capable" then that is what is required. If you (all of us) stay correct and act responsible with your (our) MVs then they should be proud to have it around the neighborhood.
After all, it is a part of our military history!!
jimm1009

PS: AS a side note, are there not camo markings on the reverse side of the ambulance panels? Could this possibly be more acceptable for every day use and then flip them for "Sunday Driving"? Food for thought.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice job Jt! Those Dodge ambulances are sweet looking trucks. Do you get to play with the Dragon Wagon and Sherman?

Blythewoodjoe

I would be interested to know if there is any laws against the big red cross on the side, since I have one. I couldn't imagine there being anything like that but the blue light, yes. The light would allow you to impersonate a law enforcement officer but the cross wouldn't allow you to do anything. It's a 77 dodge.

Kenny, jump in here, you know everything ;-).

Joe

Jt Schill

Why yes, I do in fact get to drive that Dragon Wagon. I'm a volunteer at the Ft Snelling Military Museum www.FSMM.Org. We're sort of unique since we are an actual Army Museum, and we have a Volunteer organization where we are allowed to do restoration work on the Army's artifacts. The other cool part is that our mission is to put them into Operational Preservation, not just cosmetic restoration. We have a great group of guys, some prior service, some no service and of course we have our share of experts (just ask them).

Part of our mission is going out on parades and also we just had an Expo on base. No easy task since 9-11. We drove a bunch of stuff for the public... M38 Jeep, M151 jeep, M37, Mule, M548, M106, M26 dragon wagon, M123 10 ton, M911, M3 half track, M60A3, M41 Walker Bulldog, Duster, M110 Self propelled Howitzer, M1010 Ambulance, A couple of Gamma Goats, M35A2, 5 ton wrecker. I'm sure I missed some stuff, but it was rewarding to be able to show the public the equipment that has kept us free. Entertained about 2000 people on a saturday and another 2000 on Sunday. It's a special treat for us to be able to fire up a specific piece of equipment for an old timer and let them hear the roar and smell the exhaust and gear lube and watch them remember their history.

I did find the correct manual for the markings on my M886. When these things came out they did not have the options for the black cross on OD, That didn't come out untill the M1010. Remember the 70's before cammo paint jobs? Before we went to the firld we had to mud those white stars on our dueces.

My M886 looked good in a local parade with a M1010 CUCV ambulance, and M972 ambulance. I'm going with the authentic markings since I'm allowed by the Army to basically borrow my rig to the museum for display. I'm sure my neighbors apreciate that I'ts not always parked in my driveway.

My son is a police officer, so I'll have him check with the State Patrol and DOT regarding the legalities of the markings.

Keep em rollin!

Attachments

N1265

" PS: AS a side note, are there not camo markings on the reverse side of the ambulance panels? Could this possibly be more acceptable for every day use and then flip them for "Sunday Driving"? Food for thought. "

Yes, Some of the newer designed trucks do have reversible panels that allow you to change the vehicle over from a marked " medical unit " to a regular truck. However this was not the case with the M886.

Pawnshop

"It's a special treat for us to be able to fire up a specific piece of equipment for an old timer and let them hear the roar and smell the exhaust and gear lube and watch them remember their history."

That brought a tear to my eye...