• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SB-3614 Phone switchboard

deuceaid

Banned
Does anyone have any information about the sb-3614 phone switchboard. It seems hard to find anything about it ANYWHERE on the web ( other than it could run 30 lines, was stackable, etc).

I was wondering if anyone here worked with them, seen them, has one, sold, bought,----anything at all

Thanks....Jason

Attachments

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Appears to be what replaced the SB-22, and, if so is still current issue. Bad thing about current issue stuff is the demil codes all say "cut or crush" (or both). I had that problem with some TA-312's a couple of years ago (Uncle wanted them back after the demil code changed). What Uncle wants, Uncle gets! GL was not happy, since the lot came from Hawaii and the shipping bill had been over $300 (ground is what I asked for, but to the mainland it was air freight), and seven 20 pound field phones cost a chunk of change to pack and send - but I had the invoice!

deuceaid

Banned
Thanks. I just got an email from a ham op , he sent me some TMs on them. He has 2 (one complete- got them from some metal supply place in California) I was hoping since they were Vietnam era, they might be floating around out there. I ran across one of Your posts, sounds like You have alot of field phones and related equipment :grin:. Well I guess I just have to wait and see what turns up.

I did look at some cheapy PBXs, but its just not the same considering the FP 4 wire systems , the TA-1 ringer style .....

As I have been researching, I have run across the term "ring down" . Do You know if that is the ta-1 ( or similar) setup? From reading the TM I am just guessing it is.

HORNETD

Thanks. I just got an email from a ham op , he sent me some TMs on them. He has 2 (one complete- got them from some metal supply place in California) I was hoping since they were Vietnam era, they might be floating around out there. I ran across one of Your posts, sounds like You have a lot of field phones and related equipment :grin:. Well I guess I just have to wait and see what turns up.

I did look at some cheapy PBXs, but its just not the same considering the FP 4 wire systems , the TA-1 ringer style .....

As I have been researching, I have run across the term "ring down" . Do You know if that is the ta-1 ( or similar) setup? From reading the TM I am just guessing it is.
A ring down circuit is any arrangement of circuitry that causes two or more connected telephones to ring when any of the others is taken off hook. In current usage it only works in a common battery arrangement so that the ringing circuitry can detect a phone going off hook. Much earlier arrangements could use local battery local magneto telephones but ring down was initiated by any telephone in the circuit operating the magneto in the phone. A few purpose built military systems have been used historically but they are quite rare. The Marine Corps had one such system in service at the outbreak of WWII for directing the fire of artillery batteries. I was told that one such system was in use at Wake Island during WWII but I have no way of determining the truth of that.
--
Tom Horne

RTOman

do you still need info or a working setup? have sb3614 with conector board, manuals, and some extras. arsenal refurbished in 1999 and in sealed storage since.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"The SB-3614(V)/TT is a tactical 30-line analog switchboard which can provide a variety of 2, 4, and 6 wire circuits. Subscriber lines off the SB-3614 are 2-wire DTMF or Dial Pulse, and can support TA-838 or STU-III telephones. Trunk interfaces are 2-wire for long locals or PTT lines, 4-wire for the SB-3865 or TTC-39, and 6-wire for E&M signaling DSN via STU-5. Up to three SB-3614s can operate in a stacked configuration. The 3614 can also be operated with the SB-3865 in a hybrid stack. However, it should be noted that no more than three switchboards total of either type can be used in a hybrid stack. A limitation of the hybrid stack is that an access code is required for dialing between the two types of switchboards. The SB-3865 database also has the capability to route only 30 subscribers to the SB-3614, including the operator position. SB-3614 subscribers can access trunks without operator assistance by dialing an assigned access code. In all cases, incoming trunk calls are answered by the switchboard operator and forwarded to the called party."

The manuals you will need are restricted, but the numbers are:

TM 11-5805-695-12
TM 11-5805-695-20P
TM 11-5805-695-20P-1
TM 11-5805-695-34
TM 11-5805-695-34P
TM 11-5805-695-34P-1

They are not available as .pdf downloads on the web from what I can see, unless you can somehow get them through the military document acquisition system. Other than that, keep checking eBay for a hard copy.

RTOman

I have one I would like to sell. complete with manuals, conector board and cards for anything from a TA1 to a DSVT and comercial trunk.

papakb

The 3614 switchboard was a real PITA to make work. The manuals that were available were written for a person who knew and understood telephone systems rather than the typical manual that assumed the operator knew nothing. We spent 3 days and finally got 2 phones to talk to each other after going thru the Army TM, a training manual, and another book we had on the Grid Compass laptop that it takes to program one of them. I'll take a look at my CDs and see if I still have anything on them. If they're in .pdf format I'll be happy to send them along. Somewhere I still have some of the keep alive coin cell batteries the cards need to retain their program. Please drop me a PM that I can send to.

Thanks,

kurt Lesser

Gmonster nco

2512/2515 USMC 1990-1994
At the time used Sb3614, Sb22
Also an older switch was pretty large, can't remember the nomenclature for it, if anyone knows, please remind me, we just called it the dinosaur at the time, those were the analog switches being used at the time.
The digital switches were the sb 3865 & the tc 42 van.

The interesting thing about the 3615 was its ability to hybrid stack with the 3865.

Last edited:

papakb

I think the "dinosaur" your thinking of was the SB-86. A pretty large shipping case that the switchboard used to sit on during use. I checked my ETMs and the telephone equipment CD is too new and doesn't have anything for the 3614 but I do have some hardcopy manuals in the garage that I can either lend you or sell you. Please PM if interested.

Kurt
KG6KMJ