• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Scammers

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I hate to have to post this. But we still seem to have scammers coming to the site. For a few years now I've been manually approving EVERY account. The latest account certainly seemed to follow the norm when it comes to new registrations. But it quickly shifted to being a scammer by sending PMs to people. If you have a message about something you're looking for from someone new to the site offering it for sale from a 3rd party and to email/call a number off the site. It's 99.9% a scam. Please report these messages.

Known scammer contact infos:

for.taylorfurda07@aol.com number:+1(559) 927-3641

m715mike

This guy tried to get me.

I posted a want ad the other day. He responded via PM directing me to the email address and phone number above. His PM was well written and seemed helpful. I replied via PM thanking him, but took no further action.

The following day, I got a second PM from the scammer. This one was a bit pushy and felt off.

@patracy - Thanks for looking into it and keeping this site safe!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently got taken (not on steelsoldiers.com) by a well organised scammer responding to my ad looking for parts and he was very good.

The usual giveaway is that the scammer wants PayPal "Family and Friends" to be used (because that way, no PayPal purchasing protection applies). I did not do that; I always use the "commercial" PayPal option. Nevertheless, it was a fight and a struggle with PayPal to be re-imbursed and required ignoring and fighting despite their messages indicating that "the case has been reviewed and denied. The decision is final".
In the end, PayPal relented but it was a sour and very unpleasant experience. I don't think PayPal sees scammers as a huge problem.

Thank you @patracy and others for protecting us from the scum of the earth that is those scamming ass*oles that have nothing better to do than stealing from others. May justice catch up with them and their miserable lives.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Since they want to be "klever". I'm going to take a new approach as well since they're no longer "hiding". I've made some changes. New account will not have the ability to send messages until 10 posts. I'm likewise about to update the site rules to address new accounts and acting upon WTB ads. I hate to make things more difficult for legitimate users. But I also don't want to make it easy for scammers.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IS it possible to pin a Scammers Warning thread at the top of the Parts Wanted Forum?

If it saves one person grief then it was worth the effort. And sometimes it will push the scammer somewhere else.
I think everyone should realize there has been scammers on this site as long as it has been around , Darrel Braun , Indyfab4x4 come to mind , it's just they were weeded out much faster and technology wasn't as good in aiding them when there was 10,000 members compared to 100,000 now . Anything online is subject to scammers and I don't think more warnings will do anything more than the sticky's that nobody reads.We have a feedback system that very few people bother to use .

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's the ticket, lets do nothing....................sheesh:burn::deadhorse:
Who isn't doing anything ?

Patracy is addressing the problem . And from how this site was run before he volunteered to take over as Admin
He is doing really good job of addressing problem's as they come up . You haven't been here long enough to know how
screwed up this site was prior to him taking over as Admin. It's not like banners and notices haven't been tried . And I'll
be the first to admit myself and patracy and I haven't always agreed on things , he and his methods of managing the site are
why it is where it is at today .

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Who isn't doing anything ?

Patracy is addressing the problem . And from how this site was run before he volunteered to take over as Admin
He is doing really good job of addressing problem's as they come up . You haven't been here long enough to know how
screwed up this site was prior to him taking over as Admin. It's not like banners and notices haven't been tried . And I'll
be the first to admit myself and patracy and I haven't always agreed on things , he and his methods of managing the site are
why it is where it is at today .
Thank you for that.

I can pin a post, I can even make a notice. But historically, people don't even read them. Honestly given how these scammers work, they'll just change contact info along the way once there's too much "heat" on one. I think maybe just having this thread and having people actively discuss it will hopefully get people more involved in this matter. This is a forum, so naturally people tune out a lot of the other parts of the website. Being an active thread will show up in new posts and hopefully people will catch this more than a stale/stuck thread with no real update.

I've also recently changed a few other things. Basically these scammers sign up for the forum just to message everyone they can to lure them off the forum to email or phone. I've changed how the forum works now. New members can't start conversations now except to me. So anyone new will need to go through me to converse with another person on the site. I hate to take function away from legitimate people. But the scammers are now just blending in with everyone else and not even bothering with a VPN, datacenter, or foreign IP address. There's simply no way my approach of manually verifying IPs will work anymore with their shift in tactics. So I'm making the site less appealing to them by taking out their ability to easily scam people here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks