• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Scary wobble

Swede

Ok driving down the road going over a few normal road bumps, and get this horrible wobble in the front end... have to all but stop before it settles. This has happened only from time to time.. I guess it throws one tire out of wack and now both are wobbling. dont know what, why, and how to fix it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I was told it was a bad shock, someone else stated it my be bushings... dont know..

Swede

Swede

king pins? hard job?? And steering shock.. ok thank you I will look into this.

Thanks again.

Swede

ultim8gamr

Re: RE: Scary wobble

Westech said:
king pins are ez just 4 bolts each.
easier said then done. pirate4x4.com has a good kingpin rebuild article. My M1008 had the same problem but after replacing my tires all was fixed. are your tires old? if not its most likely the kingpins

pa.rich

My opinion, it is due to wear, either a little in all the parts, or one part that is very bad.Check tie rod ends, kingpins , wheel alignment, bad tires, It may be that you will have to work on it on a trial and error basis. also tire sizes must match and inflation pressures equal. I think its wear . I had a old caddilac that did that and I found steering box was loose where mounted on the chassis. But I doubt thats the problem on your truck.

acetomatoco

Start with tire pressure and balance, do toe in, change the steering stabilizer..it is there for a reason..check wheel bearings for looseness, and other steering linkage.. even a bad tie rod end can add to your wobble....ACE

1956_4x4

Had the problem on my 1031. Replaced the kingpin springs and bushings, but the problem stayed. Replaced my leaf spring bushings with poly bushings because the old ones were shot. That gave me better road feel and raised the truck about 3/4", but the problem was still there. Replaced the tie rod ends and the drag link ends and the problem went away. When I took it in for the alignment after replacing the parts, the tech said everything was dead on as far as the adjustments. The steering is nice and solid now, better that I ever remember in a CUCV.

Smitty

Scrounger

I had a similar problem with a CJ some years ago, “horrible wobble in the front end... have to all but stop before it settles”. The previous owner had rotated the tires using the unused spare in the swap. The result was that the two front tires were different heights. With a live front axle the front tires must be the same size or a harmonic imbalance develops, as best as I can describe it. I would check to make sure the front tires match, size and air, before doing anything else.

BKinzey

I'd hold off on replacing the steering stabilizer. If it's worn out it should be replaced but a new one can also mask serious problems.

Looks like you have enough suggestions on what to check out. Report back if you find it or have any other questions :D

Swede

Did both front wheel bearings, and steering stabilzer, will do ball joints next, and tie rod ends. Wobble is gone.

CCATLETT1984

Swede said:
Did both front wheel bearings, and steering stabilzer, will do ball joints next, and tie rod ends. Wobble is gone.
YOU DONT HAVE BALL JOINTS.

pull the passenger side kingpin cap and look at the nylon bushing for wear. a rebuild kit comes with a new bushing and a new spring.

Swede

Ok then what are the grease fittings all around where the back of the brake??? I think one is on top and one middle, one bottom, if I am correct.

Swede

I stand corrected, what I was looking at was the Kingpin. I found a nice site online(imagine that) that shows how to replace the whole thing. Step, by knuckle busting step. And how to make yourself a 7/8's Allen key, which is pretty cool if I do say so myself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks