• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Scepter Fuel Nozzle Failure

Guyfang

Staff member
Let me tell you a story about the NATO can. It is the same, exact, 1000% same, as the German WW-2 fuel can. You can still find LOTS of the WW-2 cans all over here. The Best find is a SS can, and it's supposedly not all that hard to find. The normal Wehrmacht cans go for 30-50 euros in flee-bay. If the cans have been even reasonably well taken care of, they still are jim dandy fuel cans. I think I have one someplace in the garage.

rustystud

Let me tell you a story about the NATO can. It is the same, exact, 1000% same, as the German WW-2 fuel can. You can still find LOTS of the WW-2 cans all over here. The Best find is a SS can, and it's supposedly not all that hard to find. The normal Wehrmacht cans go for 30-50 euros in flee-bay. If the cans have been even reasonably well taken care of, they still are jim dandy fuel cans. I think I have one someplace in the garage.
That's all I use around here. The NATO fuel can. I buy them from that exporter in Germany. He now has a fuel can totally made from Stainless Steel ! It sells for $200.00 though. I still might buy one just for "grins and giggles" !
I have 8 or 10 "Scepter" water cans. I keep forgetting where I put them all at. Two are mounted on the deuce rear mud flaps. The water cans are great, and in a pinch I could use them as fuel cans. I also have several of the 10 Liter and 5 Liter fuel cans that I use for my spare oil storage for the deuce. I got that idea from work. The wreckers carried extra engine, transmission, and differential oils in the five gallon fuel cans. They also carried four 5 gallon cans of anti-freeze. All eight of the wreckers carried this on them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a bunch of 5L NATO cans I use for other fluids but fuel is USGI cans. Devilman96 and I used to battle over NATO vs USGI cans. He swore the NATO can with the OE spout would dump a can quicker. Turns out they can both dump a can of diesel in just under a minute.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love all 15 of my tan plastic Scepter fuel jugs and would not trade them for 30 steel cans. I have the high flow black plastic spouts and no problems plus I made some pvc low flow spouts. Could very easy make high flow if needed.

Last edited:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greetings folks. Has anyone else had any issues with the Scepter style offuel spout for the jerry cans?

I first noticed a reduced rate of discharge. No one wants to hold up a full can for any longer than necessary. In my experience, you can dump a can in a minute with a proper functioning spout. What I found was that the hose was lined with some type of flexible material. The material decomposed and was plugging up the screen. I'm glad I didn't defeat the screen like I've done with the metal spouts.

Second thing was the leaking. It leaks, it's always leaked no matter what I did. I found thatnthe crew top was cracked. For the most recent use, I went back to the GI metal spout and was greeted with a spill free 5 gallon dump in a minute.

So far I've transitioned from steel to plastic cans, went back to steel to avoid swelling then back to plastic. Transitioned from metal spouts to plastic, now back to metal.
Where do you get these at?

dependable

This does not apply if you need cans that will fit in racks for MVs.

If looking for efficient mobile fuel availability, I just gave up on cans, for diesel anyway. Just got this, am going to put in a 1008. So tired of filling and hauling jugs, lower risk of contamination also.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still don't know what metal spouts there are that fit the Scepter cans. Here's my home brew high flow spout. View attachment 697834
The standard steel donkey appendage fits the scepter can. It has the same 2" internal threads as the metal cans. It doesn't block the vent and works quite well.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks