• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

School for Truckers

charlesmann

Well I can tell you that If you want to get a cdl you better get it before February 7th. The new mandate of "entry level driver training" starts then.
I did a google search but couldnt find anything on that. Can you elaborate or post a link?
Im thinking of having the wife get hers so she can drive a 5tn.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I did a google search but couldnt find anything on that. Can you elaborate or post a link?
Im thinking of having the wife get hers so she can drive a 5tn.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FMCSA kicked this can down the road 2 years ago as most of the states weren't ready to impliment it, however there should still be the allowance for an individual driver to process a couple (or 3 or 4??) learners through their test without having to go to a mandated school (that must operate to the new - minimum standards). With all the schools and DMV test centers being closed in varying levels due to the pandemic, there must be a heck of a backlog of permit holders waiting to get trained/tested.... Plenty of driving jobs out there too.

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The State of New Mexico has something similar to this already and most of it was pushed through by the driving schools. Instead of real world teaching by real drivers they have instructors that teach out of a book and run trainees through “safe routes” where they don’t learn squat.
Most of the drivers coming out of these schools can’t back up worth a damn. Several times I’ve had to kick a “trained driver” out of the cab and back up his/her truck because they can’t do it. It’s downright scary thinking they are running the interstate.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FMCSA kicked this can down the road 2 years ago as most of the states weren't ready to impliment it, however there should still be the allowance for an individual driver to process a couple (or 3 or 4??) learners through their test without having to go to a mandated school (that must operate to the new - minimum standards). With all the schools and DMV test centers being closed in varying levels due to the pandemic, there must be a heck of a backlog of permit holders waiting to get trained/tested.... Plenty of driving jobs out there too.
Don't be surprised if they don't push this to later in the year if the Covid-19 variant "OMICRON" becomes a big thing.

FMCSA has already extended the CDL and DOT M.E.C. expiration dates to 02-28-2022, as of this time.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It shouldnt be any secret why we dont have enough cdl drivers in the u.s. is why would anyone in their right mind sign up for a OVER SCRUTINIZED LOWPAYING job like this one ! Washington has been up the Ass of the trucking industry trying to make it just as hard as possible to survive and decided in 2013 to go after the bus industry the same way ! Any time there is a accident they want to be able to place blame on the cdl holder and thier industry for just being there . TILL SHIT CHANGES i hope nothing moves till the D.O.T. has a muzzle put on them like other agencies have had to stop this jack booted thugs from making it impossible with tooooo many regulations to chock the drivers till they seek employment else where ! If you have a cdl in your pocket you better put anything you own in someone elses name because you can not go into a courtroom ever again and win a case with a cdl holder involved in ANY kind of a accident and thats a checkable fact ! So revamp the dot pull some teeth or get used to slow or no freight movement at a huge shipping cost on top of that plus our groggy uncle thinking that an already crumbling industry could stand the diesel fuel prices almost doubleing since he droped into the whitehouse .

pevrs114

1 extension of the 6 month learner's permit, for a total of 12 months, is all that is allowed (as of now).

Learner's must be obtained before 2/7/22, skills/pre-trip/road test can be done later, along with medical.

This is for anyone seeking an entry level Class B, entry level Class A, upgrade from Class B to Class A, or addition of P, S, or H(X) endorsements.

I went ahead and got my Class A with X endorsement, and made sure to test with a vehicle that wouldn't leave me any restrictions.

I am leaning on my drivers to upgrade to A, even though we only have B trucks, because I don't want to pay to send them later.

pevrs114

If you have a cdl in your pocket you better put anything you own in someone elses name because you can not go into a courtroom ever again and win a case with a cdl holder involved in ANY kind of a accident and thats a checkable fact !
There certainly are additional standards that can make driving tougher for a CDL holder.

For example, in my old state of VA, drivers of commercial vehicles had a lower standard of presumptive impairment *when operating a CMV* at .04, and all CDL holders were ineligible for driving school as a method of mitigation of a traffic infraction, regardless of whether or not they were operating a CMV at the time of the infraction.

However, to say that the standard of proof for court cases being beyond a reasonable doubt (for criminal/infraction) or preponderance of the evidence (for civil) doesn't apply just because someone has a CDL is absolutely wrong. It's not a "checkable fact," it's flat wrong.

I say this as a former police officer, former criminal prosecutor, and current CDL holder.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope everyone was paying attention to the fella in colorodo that sure made some mistakes just like the ones coming out of these schools will and do every day coming down that mountain he didnt set out to hurt anyone that day he didnt have a plan to hurt people with his truck he just went to work like everyone else but a chain of events happend that he didnt know how to correct and he couldnt get his truck stoped in time before he got to the accident that had already happend ahead of him and like them they got involed in a ACCIDENT !!!!!!! Maybe if they hadnt made wrong driving choices to cause their accident this kid would have been able to get his truck slowed down to a safe place with no loss of life but others beyond his control landed him in a courtroom full of what ive been talking about are judges and law enforcement that hate truckdrivers i dont know why but thats the way it is and that p.o.s. judge took his hatred out on a person in a automobile accident with no pre meditated or malice in his heart and gave him 100 years in prison ! Are yo Fn kidding me he should be stript of his job and sent to serve that same sentence to send a message to his world ! So besides that gross injustice now you can and will be sent to prison for a mistake if you have a cdl in your back pocket no matter what the car operators in front of you do its all your fault and you think you want a cdl lol i would rethink that thought !!!! Until this over regulation and complete hatered of commercial drivers from law enforcement and goverment changes your walking rite into the lions den bathed in blood !

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There certainly are additional standards that can make driving tougher for a CDL holder.

For example, in my old state of VA, drivers of commercial vehicles had a lower standard of presumptive impairment *when operating a CMV* at .04, and all CDL holders were ineligible for driving school as a method of mitigation of a traffic infraction, regardless of whether or not they were operating a CMV at the time of the infraction.

However, to say that the standard of proof for court cases being beyond a reasonable doubt (for criminal/infraction) or preponderance of the evidence (for civil) doesn't apply just because someone has a CDL is absolutely wrong. It's not a "checkable fact," it's flat wrong.

I say this as a former police officer, former criminal prosecutor, and current CDL holder.
You said former it must be way former i personally know small co owners / owner operators that have to walk in to out of town courtrooms every day to try to defend their selves / drivers because their truck/driver has had a accident in this town they dont reside and local judges and prosecutors railroad the trucking co like they were out to hurt these civilians on purpose ! If what im saying doesent happen why do local (nashville) law firms spend millions of dollars on commercials on tv HAVE YOU BEEN IN A ACCIDENT WITH A COMMERCIAL VEHICLE CALL US WE HAVE GOTTEN MORE MONEY FOR OUR CLIENTS BLAH BLAH BLAH ! For the life of me i cant think of this mans name at the moment but i can go find it he was the saftey man that Landstar/ 10 company names sends to every accident that where people have been hurt then hes the guy that is sent with their lawyers around the country day after day representing over 5000 owner operators leased to the Landstar flag and he came to speak at one of the Landstar open houses some years back and he had been to hundreds of truck envolved court cases and this is where my distain comes from someone that does it every day and he says the veiw rarely changes from town to town .

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I hope everyone was paying attention to the fella in colorodo that sure made some mistakes just like the ones coming out of these schools will and do every day coming down that mountain he didnt set out to hurt anyone that day he didnt have a plan to hurt people with his truck he just went to work like everyone else but a chain of events happend that he didnt know how to correct and he couldnt get his truck stoped in time before he got to the accident that had already happend ahead of him and like them they got involed in a ACCIDENT !!!!!!! Maybe if they hadnt made wrong driving choices to cause their accident this kid would have been able to get his truck slowed down to a safe place with no loss of life but others beyond his control landed him in a courtroom full of what ive been talking about are judges and law enforcement that hate truckdrivers i dont know why but thats the way it is and that p.o.s. judge took his hatred out on a person in a automobile accident with no pre meditated or malice in his heart and gave him 100 years in prison ! Are yo Fn kidding me he should be stript of his job and sent to serve that same sentence to send a message to his world ! So besides that gross injustice now you can and will be sent to prison for a mistake if you have a cdl in your back pocket no matter what the car operators in front of you do its all your fault and you think you want a cdl lol i would rethink that thought !!!! Until this over regulation and complete hatered of commercial drivers from law enforcement and goverment changes your walking rite into the lions den bathed in blood !
It was reduced to 10yrs

It was still his fault. Not his trucks fault. His fault to not take the truck ramp. That is it's purpose. He had 2 to choose from. He didn't take either.

I don't agree with 110yrs but I also don't agree with 10yrs.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was reduced to 10yrs

It was still his fault. Not his trucks fault. His fault to not take the truck ramp. That is it's purpose. He had 2 to choose from. He didn't take either.

I don't agree with 110yrs but I also don't agree with 10yrs.
You are correct he made mistakes no doubt things veterans of the bizzness would not have but it not being a pre meditated act and he wasnt under the influence of anything how do you send that man to prison thats my ENTIRE rant about the way that cdl holders get treated we are the ONLY occupation where people get up every day strap on the the guns and cuffs and mace and shotguns and rifles to go and only go after a segment of society that came to work today to do thier job plain and simple to bring the entire world what they wanted faster than ever before ! Why is it we are the villans if they spent half as much money and time as they waste on us to go after real criminals /dope dealers /murders/rapist but no their letting them out of jail to make room for people involved in plain traffic accidents. It absolutely dumbfounds me why we tolerate such injustice ! A man goes to work in a warehouse to drive his forklift all day he hits a set of racking that domino effectively collapses an entire warehouse with loss of life does he get sent to prison hell no he just gets fired cause it was an accident ! A bartender sends drunks into the street every night with a significant loss of life because they deemed him sort of sober do they go to prison ? A man goes to work this morning he works on jet engines at the airport he works hard every day and one day he makes a mistake and loses his flashlight but thinks he misplaced it else where but that night that jet crashes and kills all aboard does he go to jail ? He gets fired he made a mistake ! True story

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If you are negligent in your decision and it leads to death or injury it is still your fault. There is a less punishment for that doesn't mean you get to go home. The negligent actions caused the end result.

No different than driving a car and you decide to pass someone cause you think you got it, lose control and your passenger dies. Same negligence.

Truckers used to say sacrifice their life for many like take the ditch etc to avoid someone who cut them off, etc. But most drivers today can't Even read the road signs

Now had there not been any truck ramps on that grade then we would be looking at limited alternatives for him to do

Last edited:

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are negligent in your decision and it leads to death or injury it is still your fault. There is a less punishment for that doesn't mean you get to go home. The negligent actions caused the end result.

No different than driving a car and you decide to pass someone cause you think you got it, lose control and your passenger dies. Same negligence.

Truckers used to say sacrifice their life for many like take the ditch etc to avoid someone who cut them off, etc. But most drivers today can't Even read the road signs
LOL im fully aware of whats out there now and it scares me to death with the turbans on their heads at the fuel desk cant speak a lick of english but somehow some trucking co qualified him and gave him a truck no different than handing him a gun and sending him into mcdonalds and he just wanted to be a truck driver to work make money for his family hes not a bad man hes just not as good at his job as a veteran and you and me can remember the first time we got behind the wheel with 80,000 lbs behind us ! I bent some stuff up learning my craft but we got better and better but we made mistakes i am proud to have put over 2 and a half million miles on the ground in a commercial vehicle with 0 accidents of any kind not so much as a hangnail running all 48 and all of canada from vancouver to halifax 12 months a year from 86 to 18 and back to your point when mistakes are made there are courts to get compensation for the victoms of whatever the mishap but if this has become the norm to send truckdrivers to jail for accidents this can not end well for the country in my opinion .

charlesmann

As an faa certificated mech and supervisor, if during maint, i do it, or allow a subordinate perform maint outside the scope of the maint manual or deviate from the manual, just bc its been done before without incident, allow the task to be signed off in accordance with said manual, and i signed the inspector line and release the acft for service and it crashes. I, as well as the mech/s will pi$$ and bleed and if that comes back favorable, at a min, i am suspended from maint action till a prelim is announced. Depending the findings and if its suspected neglect on my part and or the mech/s part, our cert could be suspended or revoked. If there is loss of life due to neglect, there is a high chance i and or the mech/s will go to jail.

I just had surgery and had to stop by a hanger to check the books on a heli i work on on the side. If i would have got behind the controls, acting as pic, or even with an instructor, and an accident happened, if alone, i would loose my pilot cert bc i just had surgery and had not been medically cleared by a flt dr. If loss of life, another high chance id go to prison, due to neglect. My intensions were not to cause harm, either as a mech or pilot, but none the less, it happened, i could be jailed or at a min, loose my mech/pilot cert. Neglect of mine, or anyone’s duties, be it my mech, pilot of commercial drivers license, it isnt gonna end well for me or anyone else, regardless of good intentions.

We can couch quarter back the colorado incident till hell or tx freezes over, we can hind sight 20/20 it too. I dont know where his accident happened in relation to a runaway ramp, and from what iv read and what i remember as to the highway speed on I70, he was speeding, lost control by failing to keep his speed manageable and plowed into other stopped motorists.
It sucks it happened and its aftermath, but i dont think jail is gonna help his guilt, bring them back to life, or serve any form of justice.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, when did, “take responsibility for your actions” become taboo and go to the wayside?

Think about it, what if someone killed your child, wife, family member or good friend(s) for something stupid they did and/or negligence on their part, would you fill the same?…Really think about it, I have, 3 times in my life!

Last edited:

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So like most news we read they always leave out a few details when it doesnt fit their agenda lets look at the real chain of event this 23 yr old kid from houston tx is east bound going towards denver says hes lost his brakes witnesses report they first saw his trucks brakes smoking just past the 256 mp exit and please feel free to go look at a satalite veiw from exit 256 to the 263 .264 mile post as soon as he past the 256 is where his brake beguin to smoke which anyone thats operated a commercial vehicle in the northwest on occassion you will get your brakes hot and they do smoke but we usally just stay off them till they cool off when terrain permits now back to this event when he passed the 256 exit the very next thing you see is the ONLY run away area with jersey barriers between the traffic flow and the gravel slow down area so he had a one time chance probably before he knew he even had a problem and it is steep going down hill to the east through there ive run that route for 32 yrs and there is no other run away anything from there to the accident so all he could have done is take a busy crowded exit at 4.30 in the afternoon or try to ride it out to flat ground and probably would have with no problems at this point but BAM NOW THE ENTIRE INTERSTATE IS BLOCKED WITH TRUCKS BLOCKING HIM FROM TAKING THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE INTERSTATE OFF THE SHOLDER SO HE PICKS THE 3 ALREADY CRASHED TRUCKS TO COLIDE INTO IN STEAD OF SMALLER OBJECTS TO LAND IN! Now this kid from flatground TX at best has been a truck driver for a year and obviously had no mountain experiance in a commercial vehicle and any of us on here with the experiance will tell you we sweat going off of big mountain grades every time we do it because things can go wrong in a flash then the only thing that saves us is all of our past experiances on what to do at that moment and i was 21 and in the northwest trucking way back and this could have been any one of us so the real truth is there were no run away ramps for 7 miles before the accident they just wanted to hang this awful tragedy on someone because it was so awful we want someone to PAY when something happens that could have been out of anyones control and thats why 2.8 million people signed a petition to the governor of colorodo to reduce his sentence

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks