• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

school me on antenna base AB-558

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saw a couple at a local surplus shop in good shape, I thought the base said "AB-588" but the -588 is for microwave only, and a search on AB-558 brings up a picture that looks like what he has. Looks like it's a whip base for VRC-12 series radio installations, from what a Google search brings up. But I have never seen it in use. Anyone have more information on the AB-558 base, or any pics of it in use on their vehicles?

1958 M274

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saw a couple at a local surplus shop in good shape, I thought the base said "AB-588" but the -588 is for microwave only, and a search on AB-558 brings up a picture that looks like what he has. Looks like it's a whip base for VRC-12 series radio installations, from what a Google search brings up. But I have never seen it in use. Anyone have more information on the AB-558 base, or any pics of it in use on their vehicles?
The the upright flexible part is the same as an AB-15 if I remember correctly, just with a green plastic base to bolt into a scoop mount instead of the porcelain base used on the older AB-15.

ke6rwj

creating havoc one broken bolt at a time...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember these as a replacement to the AB-15 mount that had the porcelain insulators, im looking in some manuals to see what year they started...

ke6rwj

creating havoc one broken bolt at a time...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
you should be able to remove the center bolt/connector/whip from the porcelain AB-15 and install it on this one.

papakb

The Ab-588 has the same footprint as the MX-6707 or the AS-3900 so if all you need is a simple receiving antenna this fills the hole. It does use the AB-15 flex section and you can either use the MS-116/7/8 sections or an upper from the AT-1729 as your antennas. I think they were originally for armored vehicles that didn't have a 2" hole to install the AB-15.

I've seen them in both green and tan.