• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

school me on antenna base AB-558

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saw a couple at a local surplus shop in good shape, I thought the base said "AB-588" but the -588 is for microwave only, and a search on AB-558 brings up a picture that looks like what he has. Looks like it's a whip base for VRC-12 series radio installations, from what a Google search brings up. But I have never seen it in use. Anyone have more information on the AB-558 base, or any pics of it in use on their vehicles?

1958 M274

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saw a couple at a local surplus shop in good shape, I thought the base said "AB-588" but the -588 is for microwave only, and a search on AB-558 brings up a picture that looks like what he has. Looks like it's a whip base for VRC-12 series radio installations, from what a Google search brings up. But I have never seen it in use. Anyone have more information on the AB-558 base, or any pics of it in use on their vehicles?
The the upright flexible part is the same as an AB-15 if I remember correctly, just with a green plastic base to bolt into a scoop mount instead of the porcelain base used on the older AB-15.

ke6rwj

creating havoc one broken bolt at a time...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember these as a replacement to the AB-15 mount that had the porcelain insulators, im looking in some manuals to see what year they started...

ke6rwj

creating havoc one broken bolt at a time...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
you should be able to remove the center bolt/connector/whip from the porcelain AB-15 and install it on this one.

papakb

The Ab-588 has the same footprint as the MX-6707 or the AS-3900 so if all you need is a simple receiving antenna this fills the hole. It does use the AB-15 flex section and you can either use the MS-116/7/8 sections or an upper from the AT-1729 as your antennas. I think they were originally for armored vehicles that didn't have a 2" hole to install the AB-15.

I've seen them in both green and tan.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks