• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

School the newb (me). CT questions too!

Thangmorian

SO... the wife and I are looking into getting an FMTV. The kids are getting bigger so we are getting a bigger camper, and need a bigger tow vehicle. FMTVs appear to be more capable at a lower cost than a 2500 p/u. I love cab overs, and was AF for 23 years, and my jeep has Unimog axles and Goodyear AT-2As. So I suggested a FMTV (originally it was a van to convert into a camper). She thinks it would be great towing our camper. She means it would be comical. Such a big truck. So I know I'll need to build a receiver hitch. It doesn't look like this would be exceptionally difficult, I can weld. And I will need to wire up a connector, but again it doesn't took exceptionally difficult. I did electronics and aircraft wiring in the AF and have wired up similar in regular trucks. I performed a brief search but didn't find what I was looking for here. I probably used the wrong search terms, but I'm assuming others have wired up trailers and built receivers and posted up here. Does anyone have a link they could spare?

I'm also a bit confused on the purchase process (at auction). As I understand it. Once you win the bid you have 3 days to pay and 7 days to remove. When is the EUC due? Does anyone have an example so I can see what I'm getting my self into? Is there an approval process for the EUC? Like if I fax it immediately after winning on day 1, do I have 7 days from winning to remove or 7 days from when the EUC is approved to remove? Is there other paperwork too? I read something about demil-ing. Is that required for the FMTVs and what generally suffices?

The in-laws own a vehicle transport company, so I'm hoping to have them help me get this thing to CT. Anyone have any experience transporting one of these themselves? What did you use to transport it? Can it be flat towed? What would be needed for that? Or conversely, what were some costs folks have seen for hiring a company?

The vehicles in question are running and look like they are in great condition (driveable). If I were to take that risk (driving the vehicle home) what should I check before I set off? The obvious fluids, tire pressure, drive shaft, leaks etc. But I hadn't thought to check the wheel hubs till I came here. I'm assuming 1000 miles with no gear lube would blow them up, so that's a saver. Anything else?

Any specific recommendations for brand of fluids? Or any other newb things I should know?

Feel free to just post up some links. It would be appreciated.

And lastly has anyone registered and insured any of these in CT? What was your experience with the DMV? By the book the DMV states that I will need a CDL B as the vehicle has a GVWR greater than 26,000#. Is this accurate? I'm trainable, so I'm not concerned. I just need to know if I should start studying the CDL book in preparation.

Anything else?

Thanks!

P.S. Do all the A1s have the 3126 engine? Or is it certain years and models of the A1. Searching the webs indicates that ALL A1s have the 3126.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
From what I have seen the EUC is not needed for a FMTV only certain MV's and HMMWV's. Which is good as the EUC can take months to be approved and needs to be filled out and sent in as soon as auction is over. Time for removable starts after EUC is approved, or in non EUC after receipt of payment. No demil on FMTV's unless they are armored and those are usually in a scrap auction. I don't have a FMTV so will leave those to others, and yes some of us have driven back are wins, some go smooth some end up being transported on a lowboy, but all were an adventure!

dmetalmiki

Well done and good luck with the purchase. When you complete and or start this huge journey remember to post up a story with pictures. I am sure others will chip in with advice for you. But peruse the forums for information on "must does". And "must have's".

Shark Bait

My LMTV was hauled on a gooseneck trailer behind an F-450. 17,000 +/- lbs. The little Cat will pull a tow behind camper but not as fast as a 2500HD will. There is a thread on here of a hitch being made for one, a search should find it for you. IF you drive one home check the hubs, check the diffs, all the fluids. They'll run 55-57mph but build up less heat around 45-50. I've never checked fuel consumption on any of my trucks but would probably guess 6-7 mpg. They're not too uncomfortable to drive compared to some other MV's, a little noisy but not too bad. Air ride cab helps too. Familiarize yourself with the TM's. Copy to thumb drive and take them with you on a laptop or something to view them on with a little zoom to them. Take all you'll think you'll need and more and a chase vehicle. Take many pictures and share them with us. We help better with pics. Lol
Dave