• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Schott Enterprises

k72516

http://www.army4x4.com/800_series.shtml

What do you guys make of this? For $5,500 bucks with a $1,000.00 cash deposit I can go out there and pick any Deuce I want, within reason I suppose... They are M813 models, I haven't really heard anything about these except that they're the newer version made in the 80's.

Just thought I'd see what you guys say, and just show it anyways in case you guys never seen it before.

JohnnyReb

I know alot of guys who say they do better on the price at government auction; but if that is the truck you want and it is nearby then I say go for it. To be able to pick out the truck from such a large selection would make the difference in the price worth it to me... You can pay less and take a chance of having to put alot more money in an auction truck. That does not take into account having to fix it and the "down time" from enjoying it.....

k72516

Oh I know I could do a lot better if I went to govliquidation or somewheres else price wise. I just wanted to show off the place and see if anyone had heard of them. Besides, they're all 5 tons, and they get 4-5 mpg... ouch.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
By the way, the 800 series are 5 tons and are powered by the NHC250 Cummins. Cargos weight around 19,000# naked.

k72516

red devils dude said:
this is why most people dont buy from them
# All units sold for off-road-use only.
# All vehicles have military form 97 (gov title).
Is that stuff bad? I don't see why I can't just go to my insurance agency and DMV and get everything all set up to go up there and slap my plates on and go?

JohnnyReb

I ,too, am confused by the "offroad only" representation and 97 form.

That vehicle would be street legal in GA and because of it's age, the 97 form is sufficient for obtaining a tag and insurance. I am sure it could vary from state to state. Would not stop me from buying one.

BTW, I don't see an airshift handle in the cab. What is the setup for the transfer case on the front axle; sprag?? That would give me pause on a purchase.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its a sprag. Only the 900 series 5 tons had an air shift transfer case. As far as the Form 97, it's in their name and not generally tranferrable. Its been done but you have to jump through hoops to do it. Not wirth the hassle for me anyway.

MVtrucker

In NJ, the Form 97 would have to be in my name when I purchase a truck. They're probably trying to eliminate liability by using the Off Road clause.

rmgill

A Bill of sale and VIN inspection by a LEO was all I needed to register my 5 ton in Georgia. I've got it here at my house in Decatur if anyone nearby wants a gander.

cten

Out of all the info that I have read for MA that is all you need is a bill of sale and apply for a new title with in 10 days from purchase.

The do like to see a title though from the previous owner.

I have heard of this place in Maine, but have not checked them out.

When I spoke to the guy some months back and asked him about the trucks he said that they came in on rail and they purchase a large amount of them from the goverment, but were not happy with the quality of the trucks.

Regards,

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have spoken to guys that have dealt with Schott's and I've been told that the owner, with whom you must deal, is not a real personable guy. Basically, he has more money than he knows what to do with...and he'd rather sit on the trucks than negotiate a price. There are no negotiations on his trucks. He'll just tell you not to buy it. You can't even swap parts off of other trucks.

With regard to the 800 series and earlier 5 tons being sprags...that is accurate. However, the sprag unit in a 5 ton is MUCH more robust than the one that is in the deuce. I have never had a problem with a sprag in any 5 ton that I've owned...I've had three M813s, one M543A2 and one M817. I will say that a dealer friend of mine has told me that he has had to replace about one in three sprags on trucks that he has purchased. The only problem with the sprags...and the thing that causes problems...is you can't let them roll forward (at all!) in reverse, or reverse in a forward gear. You also MUST start out in 1st gear.

Good luck!

patch

I've been there and talked to the owner/manager. He is a Harley dealer and has gotten into MV's in a big way. I work on the railroad and it was quite a sight to see a dozen or more flatcars loaded with humvees rollin' through town. We parked them on a siding in Lewiston and they were trucked to his storage lot a few miles away. This was maybe, five years ago. He may get more vehicles coming in once in a while, but haven't seen any shipped by rail lately. Last time I was by there, he had a few (less than a dozen) humvees left, 6-8 deuces, and a whole bunch of 5 tons-800 and 900 series cargos, hundreds probably, a very impressive sight. Long rows of OD green! Also a few ratty looking 5ton wreckers- M62 I think. His place is 1/2 hour from me; if anyone is seriously looking at what he's offering, let me know if I can help in any way--directions, photos, road trips, whatever!

patch

Yeah, I can second Bruce's comments. He doesn't want to negotiate and has made it clear he's not in the parts business. (He will, however, sell you a parts truck.)I've heard he sells mostly to bigger companies- mining, construction,etc and in larger quantities,and not too interested in dealing with Harry Homeowner/MV enthusiast, ie. you and me. Aside from that, I don't know and can't comment about his reputation and/or business practices, but boy,he's sure got a pile of trucks!