• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Scorpion's first Parade

martinwcox

IMG_0247.jpgIMG_0248.jpgIMG_0249.jpgIMG_0250.jpgIMG_0251.jpgIMG_0252.jpgIMG_0253.jpg I took the Scorpion to the Lexington, MA Patriots Day parade today along with my trucks. First time pulling the trailer and tank with the 5 Ton. Those hill climbs are certainly interesting!

zeb781

Hi martinwcox,
Nice Pic's.
How does the 5 ton pull the Scorp??
I am thinking of getting a A3 to pull my Scorp but wasn't sure if it would have the power to pull it up hills.
Thank you
zeb781

datadawg

View attachment 422300 I took the Scorpion to the Lexington, MA Patriots Day parade today along with my trucks. First time pulling the trailer and tank with the 5 Ton. Those hill climbs are certainly interesting!
Curious, what kind of trailer is that? Your 923 isn't the a2 version, which is what I have, and I think the prior versions had a weaker motor? Just wondering whether my 923a2 would have the guts to pull a trailer with similar weight armor. I'm leaning toward a Saurer 4K, which is about 12 tons and I presume the only way to go is to get a military trailer for ease of use, vs. an equipment trailer... Would love to know what trailer you got, and how it works out with your 5 ton.

teletech

I've had fantasies of converting a 5-ton to a flatbed and just parking my CVR(T) on the back but your way looks less scary.
Very nice, add the Ferret and carrier and it gives a new meaning to "the British invasion" :)
Are those original smoke projectors or replicas?

thanks for sharing,
P_

martinwcox

Thanks all for the comments.

The trailer is an Econoline 12-ton tilt equipment trailer. The Scorpion scales in at around 16,500lbs, the trailer weighs 6,500 so just in the 24,000lbs GVWR limit on the trailer.

I used the 5-Ton for a year, it worked but hill climbs were not a lot of fun and down hills without a Jake were equally exciting!

In the end I picked up an M915A1 from an SS member, removed the 5th wheel, added a Deuce bed and singled the sucker out.

007.jpg

Oh the joys of accelerating up the hills, 65+ on the highway and the Jake when you need it.

400hp and a turbo just can't be beat for towing.

That said, the 5-Ton did the job but with less finesse and more white knuckles!

Cheers,

Martin.

datadawg

I've had fantasies of converting a 5-ton to a flatbed and just parking my CVR(T) on the back but your way looks less scary.
Very nice, add the Ferret and carrier and it gives a new meaning to "the British invasion" :)
Are those original smoke projectors or replicas?

thanks for sharing,
P_
There is a very neat system used in Europe called DROPS. Basically lets you snag a trailer and piggy back it onto the truck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7hdu1zuVKA
I saw a Foden DROPS truck for sale in UK for 17,500 British pounds http://www.mod-sales.com/vehicle/search/38544/Foden.htm
and a DAF truck at a pretty reasonable 9,500 pountds http://www.mod-sales.com/vehicle/search/58265/DAF_8x6_DROPS_Multilift.htm
I recall seeing just the DROPS system, which I gather can get bolted in to the frame of an existing truck. I can't find the link now for that sale, but wonder if the DROPS system can be refitted to a 5 ton... Based on pricing of the entire truck, the DROPS itself is probably no more expensive than a trailer and it's super neat.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

There is a very neat system used in Europe called DROPS. Basically lets you snag a trailer and piggy back it onto the truck.
Based on pricing of the entire truck, the DROPS itself is probably no more expensive than a trailer and it's super neat.
Impressive system. And liking that lorry too: what's the story on the truck:

- 8x8?

- (2) steering axles?

datadawg

Thanks all for the comments.

The trailer is an Econoline 12-ton tilt equipment trailer. The Scorpion scales in at around 16,500lbs, the trailer weighs 6,500 so just in the 24,000lbs GVWR limit on the trailer.

I used the 5-Ton for a year, it worked but hill climbs were not a lot of fun and down hills without a Jake were equally exciting!

In the end I picked up an M915A1 from an SS member, removed the 5th wheel, added a Deuce bed and singled the sucker out.

View attachment 536710

Oh the joys of accelerating up the hills, 65+ on the highway and the Jake when you need it.

400hp and a turbo just can't be beat for towing.

That said, the 5-Ton did the job but with less finesse and more white knuckles!

Cheers,

Martin.
Martin, a bit off topic, but the Scorpion has track pads as do all the CVRT's correct? Have you ever just driven it on the street, or would LEO hassle you? I was thinking about tracked armor, like a Saurer 4K or Stormer (also CVRT), but seems like you can really only use them off road, and for me that defeats the point... taking kids out for ice cream in one of these or maybe cruising into Dunkin Donuts once a month is my intended use, so if I can't do that, I wonder why even get it. I only have 3 acres at my house, not enough to really hit the mud and seems like strapping this on a trailer and hauling it 50 miles to a dedicated site is a huge hassle. Wondering what you use yours for... and your experience.

datadawg

Impressive system. And liking that lorry too: what's the story on the truck:

- 8x8?

- (2) steering axles?
I am not at all en expert on the truck, but it does have 2 steering axles and 6 wheel drive. I think it has locking diff's which is a huge benefit. I have actually gotten my 5 ton stuck on level grass last winter outside my house b/c I couldn't engage front axle -- the air activated switch that engages axle wasn't working at all b/c the line was probably frozen -- and the two rear wheels were free spinning. It was actually very embarrassing to be stuck, the truck lacks a differential lock and in my opinion has no place in the army b/c getting stuck in battlefield can get you killed.
But I think importing one of those suckers would be pretty complicated...

Another Ahab

I am not at all en expert on the truck, but it does have 2 steering axles and 6 wheel drive. It was actually very embarrassing to be stuck, the truck lacks a differential lock and in my opinion has no place in the army b/c getting stuck in battlefield can get you killed.
But I think importing one of those suckers would be pretty complicated...
Might be worth the effort. Not my game, but looks like it goes anywhere; only problem might be low bridges:

- That's a fine looking rig.

Csm Davis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7hdu1zuVKA
I saw a Foden DROPS truck for sale in UK for 17,500 British pounds http://www.mod-sales.com/vehicle/search/38544/Foden.htm
and a DAF truck at a pretty reasonable 9,500 pountds http://www.mod-sales.com/vehicle/search/58265/DAF_8x6_DROPS_Multilift.htm
I recall seeing just the DROPS system, which I gather can get bolted in to the frame of an existing truck. I can't find the link now for that sale, but wonder if the DROPS system can be refitted to a 5 ton... Based on pricing of the entire truck, the DROPS itself is probably no more expensive than a trailer and it's super neat.
That is what we call a LHS load handling system or PLS palletized load system. They are for sale state side.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks