• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Scout camp with MKT

thtrev2001

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got back from 7 days of camping with 95 scouts. We used the MKT to feed 3 meals a day. Everything worked pretty good. Our only problem was storing dry goods. We ended up using our DRASH tent to store most of the dry food. The MKT ice chest worked really well keeping stuff cool and dry. We used our MEP-016D for power, we ran it about 4 hours a day with no problems. We had 4, just graduated 18 y/o scouts to do the cooking. They also did a great job. For dinner one night we had a rice dish, we bought the 5 minute quick cook rice, I left to go on a hike leaving instructions for the dinner. When I got back about 15 minutes before dinner I realized the rice had not even been started. One of the 18 y/o Scouts told me it was ok, that the rice only needed 5 minutes to cook, he failed to realize you have to boil 15 gallons of water first.... 45 minutes after dinner was supposed to be served, the water was finally boiling enough to cook the rice, lesson learned. Overall everything went fairly well.

Attachments

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gee, I wish I had MKT's to eat from when we went camping. Things sure have changed in scouting.....

Scrounge41

Nice set up. Thanks for your work with the scouts. I am still involved with the scout troop that I joined when I turned 11, and I'm now 52 and my sons are 32 and 30 and have moved far away. It is not the same as when I was a kid, but it is still a great program. Last night I did some background work on an Eagle project with my old scoutmaster (WWII vet) who will be 95 in November.

thtrev2001

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While this is not normally how we camp, we felt that having the boys cook themselves would take up a lot of their time, which would be better spent working on the different activities we had. We camped in groups of 10 boys so we had 10 groups, that would mean 10 different fires, 10 different sets of cooking equipment, etc. All of these boys were 14 y/o and up, so they have already learned the basics of camping, cooking, etc. Our main concern was feeding that many people as fast, safe and efficient as possible. Scouting certainly has changed since I was that age but the beliefs and foundation of scouting has not.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fastest way for boiling water is to put it inside the M-59 range and put a lid on it. I can easily get 13-14 gallons to a rolling boil in 25 minutes doing it that way. Live and learn. BTW, Huntsville was good!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks