• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Scrap it or keep it? 1953 m135

C Big

Radiation meters at a scrapyard? The only meter that I have seen when I pull in with a load of steel is the scale.
Any scrap yard that has any chance of getting scrap metal from the oil field has Radiation meters nowadays (or at least are suposed to)and they get more common every day.

steelypip

Any scrap yard that has any chance of getting scrap metal from the oil field has Radiation meters nowadays (or at least are suposed to)and they get more common every day.
Does stuff from the oil field commonly have 'that special glow'? I know there's some naturally occurring tritium in with the helium, but where else would oil field gear pick up radioisotopes?

C Big

Does stuff from the oil field commonly have 'that special glow'? I know there's some naturally occurring tritium in with the helium, but where else would oil field gear pick up radioisotopes?
NORM (naturally occuring radioactive material) is routinely found in some oil fields. There was a time they thought it was a good idea to inject radioactive material down oil wells (salt water disposal) so that the movement of oil could be tracked by seeing where the radioactive turned up.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/fs-0142-99/fs-0142-99.pdf