• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Scraped Gold

mattg2448

So I heard about a deuce going to the local scrap yard.. On my first couple free days in the last 3 weeks, I went to check it out.. I almost cried.. They told me it was a military truck with a dump bed, and when i seen it.. it was a 5 ton (noticed by air filter and big transfercase and what looked to be a cummins).. Someone told me it was a runner and every thing worked.. Sold for scrap, around 2000$.. Its a **** shame to see the bumper, frame, engine, trans and transfercase laying in its pile of doom.. The truck was stripped of its axles and by the looks of it dump bed. Ahh.. I wish i got ahold if it before they destroyed history!

Oh.. And just noticed.. Scrapped. Not scraped.. My bad..

indy4x4fab

Banned
I know how u feel. I used to work for a scrap yard, half my paycheck to the bank half back to the yard. I uesd to buy every chevy or mil part I could find that came in to the yard.

midcounty

That really sucks, but the sad reality is the scrap prices are claiming a bunch of trucks like this. I know a scrap yard that had about twenty deuces, most all were runners, that got cut up for scrap when the prices jumped this year. Unfortunately he could get as much for them as scrap metal as he could sell them for as runners.

flyxpl

I have seen some junk , torn up , not running engine and driveline parts in the bed and cab 817 dumps on gsa sell for $3500-5000 .

Preacherboy

I have a running, not driving m818 that has been for sale for weeks in the classifieds...now I'm looking to part it out or sell it as is for $2,500...no one wants it. I will probably strip some usable parts off of it and scrap it myself.

It is a shame, but I can't afford to keep it and about a dozen people have said they wanted it, and no one has showed! So, it will probably get scrapped. If some guy wouldn't have run up the prices on a bunch of trucks (ones that I wanted, then he defaulted on 9 trucks) I wouldn't have been stuck with the one with algea in the fuel tanks that wouldn't run past 500 rpm's. I'd be driving it or selling it as a runner. Trucks get scrapped when people get sick of waiting for money. If a scrap yard would give me $2,000 I'd strip the hard top, bumper, doors, seats, and some other parts people wanted and be done with the truck sitting behind my house.

It is just the nature of the economy.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your location probably has something to do with that. If you were farther south, NO PROBLEM getting rid of it.

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a running, not driving m818 that has been for sale for weeks in the classifieds...now I'm looking to part it out or sell it as is for $2,500...no one wants it. I will probably strip some usable parts off of it and scrap it myself.

It is a shame, but I can't afford to keep it and about a dozen people have said they wanted it, and no one has showed! So, it will probably get scrapped. If some guy wouldn't have run up the prices on a bunch of trucks (ones that I wanted, then he defaulted on 9 trucks) I wouldn't have been stuck with the one with algea in the fuel tanks that wouldn't run past 500 rpm's. I'd be driving it or selling it as a runner. Trucks get scrapped when people get sick of waiting for money. If a scrap yard would give me $2,000 I'd strip the hard top, bumper, doors, seats, and some other parts people wanted and be done with the truck sitting behind my house.

pics?

indy4x4fab

Banned

I COULD FIX THAT IN A FEW HOURS, thats not that hard to fix. Replace all filters drain fuel, blow all lines out, reconect all lines and refill with fuel. Let run for thirty mins at idea, shut down replace fuel filter restart, drive faround the block or until you start noticing a lac of power shut down replace fuel filters again and you should be good to go. Works like a charm, 9 times out of ten.

If I had the money I would buy it but I wont have the money till march, Ill come pick it up and pay u later, u hold title till I pay? or we could try and work out a labor trade. i am local in comparison.

Last edited:

mattg2448

I COULD FIX THAT IN A FEW HOURS, thats not that hard to fix. Replace all filters drain fuel, blow all lines out, reconect all lines and refill with fuel. Let run for thirty mins at idea, shut down replace fuel filter restart, drive faround the block or until you start noticing a lac of power shut down replace fuel filters again and you should be good to go. Works like a charm, 9 times out of ten.

If I had the money I would buy it but I wont have the money till march, Ill come pick it up and pay u later, u hold title till I pay? or we could try and work out a labor trade. i am local in comparison.
I agree with this guy, i have done this several times with some of our equipment, its not too hard its just time consuming.

indy4x4fab

Banned
**** I'll come do it for you or assist you in doing so. You buy the filters or i can get them from Docfarmall. Weekends work best for me. You pay for my fuel up and back and I'll help you get her running great again.

F18hornetM

We ran B-20, Bio-diesel in some of our trucks and they all quit..LOL, had to clean out all the fuel tanks, lines etc, so like the guys above said, it can be cleaned out.

A note on the B20, we did have to change [12] F550 fuel tanks as the bio ate the coating off the inside of the tank, switched to B10, now much better.

saquishmike

BioBor jf pour it in the tank and start changing filters works great. Also as mention above the bio diesel works . It is a pain but not a real big deal , Good luck

Preacherboy

I know the truck can be fixed, but the thing is I can't really afford to keep it. It has been for sale on here as is for $2,500...which is a little less than I have into it for awhile now...no one wants it. I cough up another $200 in fuel and misc. stuff (already have 2 new fuel filters for it and installed a new fuel cut-off switch) and a whole day's work would someone come buy it for $3,000 which I'd have into it by then?

Truth be told with fuel and giving something to my dad who helped me recover, I need to get $2,800 for it to break even. I had it listed at that price too and no one picked it up, so I figured parting it out and scrapping the rest was my only option.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks