• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

scrapping a XM689 shelter dolly

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If that's all that's left, I don't see that much more useful stuff to save. Was there a pair of taillights on the rig I don't see?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Are those deuce brake drums? They sure do look like it.

surfdog

Brian: Mechanical lift cylinders. Trade ya for a air-o-matic kit? <g> I'll take better pics of them if you're interested.

Clinto: I also thought the drums might be the same as a deuce but someone who knows the trucks better than I do didn't think they were - I'm tempted to pull one off the dolly and one off my deuce to see if they are the same.

Maddawg - do you need taillights? I have a pair I pulled off a M101 trailer....

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Of course you are in NY:rolleyes:.

You could make a real nice steerable trailer out of those axles.....if I were closer I would be on it like a hobo on a ham sandwich.

That dolly used deuce rims and 900x20 tires....should be a deuce drum.

48cj2a

Nobody has a S280 or equivilant to tow behind their duce or 5 ton?

I've spent many an afternoon installing or removing these at work.

Even installed about a dozen kits on the shelters that were not mobilizer capable.

Make a nice flat bed trailer platform too.

surfdog

Of course you are in NY:rolleyes:.

You could make a real nice steerable trailer out of those axles.....if I were closer I would be on it like a hobo on a ham sandwich.

That dolly used deuce rims and 900x20 tires....should be a deuce drum.
And they are probably a little heavy to ship via the very inexpensive Steel Soldiers Parcel post handoff delivery network.

Wreckerman - Can't you buy one of these locally? Up near us they usually dont go to much over the minimum GL bid....... they often cost more to get home in gas, time and effort than they sell for. But the price for #1 unprepared should just about cover what I got into it and I got the new tires.

I am going to pull a drum off and compare it. Would hate to trash them if they're the same as a deuce.

Brian - I got two lift cylinders off. PM me if you're interested.

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
They do sell locally but I am "on the wagon" right now......trying to pay off some bills.

If you still have the setup in Oct maybe someone headed to the GA rally could bring them down.

I hate to see good stuff go the the scrapman.

jatonka

The shelter dolly has parking brake cables into the brake backing plates to actuate the brake shoes, the M35 Deuce does not. I don't think the entire hub,drum, brake setup is the same as a Deuce. Looking for experienced, straight yes or no answer. Is the shelter dolly brake setup the same as a Deuce setup? JT

surfdog

Whats you going to do with the tong? How much? thanks

Matt - The hitch arm is on the road to you with JATONKA.

We pulled the hubs, drums, and backing plates off today. The ones without the parking brake are identical to deuce parts, and the two with the parking brake look like most of the parts (drums, brake shoes, wheel cylinders, etc) will work on the deuce. The drums,shoes, and bearings looked almost new.

The parking brake wire pulls the shoe against the drum (one extra rivit at the bottom of the shoe) and the backing plate has an extra whole to accomidate the mechanism but the rest of the guts inside the drum look the same.

I will try to get some pics tomorrow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks