• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Scrapping the M108?? Am I Crazy?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not really scrapping as in shredder. I'm considering selling off the M108. Before you all think I've flipped, here's what I'm considering doing. If I could sell the M108, was considering adding a knuckle boom to the cargo truck and kinda streamlining my operation. I can do more of some things and less of others with the k-boom but all in all, I think I would survive. I find myself jumping off the deck of the 108 plenty and I'm getting to the age that things are going to start breaking. I love this truck but reducing my deuce fleet to one means I can also reduce my major spare inventory to one as well. No need for 4 canned engines and only one deuce. What say you? Think I've flipped?

Alredneck

Banned
Kenny, this doesnt seem to be the first time you thinned the heard! I am willing to bet that in a year or two you will be up to two or more deuces again.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Dude, you're on crack.

First, haven't you done the majority of the difficult work? All the brakes and bearings are serviced, it's been repowered with a multi and didn't you even do an air shift conversion? And aren't all if not some of the crane hoses redone?

I mean, what else is there? Repaint it, mount 10 new tires and you have something that's practically unheard of-a show quality, M108A2!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So keep it, paint it, mount some new tires and start showing it off!

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not if I paint mine first! Just drove it 170 miles to the monthly MV meet.

Of course I am slightly taller than Kenny, so its not as far to jump. And if the crane is facing to the rear, I can reach the controls from the ground:D.

I would sell my cargo truck first, and use the 5 ton flatbed trailer with the M108. I know knuckle booms are cool and operate nice, but just can't see having one instead of the M108. Heck, a wiffle tree, tow bar, and axle clamps, and it's a wrecker.

Dennis

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to call a guy in Ft Lauderdale tomorrow that specializes in knuckle booms and imports them from afar to see what he has and what the cost will be. I'll make my decision based on what it's going to cost me. Being able to self load/unload on the road is a big plus as is the outriggers. Also considering having Devilman96 see if he can build me a Kubota powered pump to operate it. Be nice to have independent power.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny,

Adding a k-boom to a cargo truck is a project. Do you look forward to a project like that?

If selling the M108 and reducing your inventory pleases you, AND if the k-boom project gives you juice, then I say do it.

As for the physical progression with age, I recommend a low impact sport like surfing, yoga or Tai'Chi. I'm being serious, we boomers have many more years ahead of us and we gotta stay active.

Best wishes with your choices, whichever way you go.

Rick

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Heck, just mount the K-boom on a trailer. That way, you don't have to haul around the dead weight when you don't need it! The deck height can be kept low so you don't hurt yourself too! Maybe we should find an auto trans to put in the deuce so you don't need the clutch, wait you could get an A3 with an auto AND power steering! Maybe put some CUCV axles under the deuce so it sits lower tooo. Hmmm what else can we help with?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heck, just mount the K-boom on a trailer. That way, you don't have to haul around the dead weight when you don't need it! The deck height can be kept low so you don't hurt yourself too! Maybe we should find an auto trans to put in the deuce so you don't need the clutch, wait you could get an A3 with an auto AND power steering! Maybe put some CUCV axles under the deuce so it sits lower tooo. Hmmm what else can we help with?
It looks like I might be trading trailers with popacom in Winchester KY (my favorite state of the nation). Can you bring one down and take the other back since you are asking? Might be closing a deal on the transfer case PTO too. Wonder if the M108 will sell?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Aberdeen? LOL, won't see me there! Too far, not enough fun things to do. I should post up to see if anyone from my neighborhood is going to Aberdeen.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'll bet clintogf would trade you a couple of her primo deuces for it :p*

*oh man, I hope you accept the deal before she reads this and kills me :shock:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you are itching for something new and exciting. :)
Mounting the crane is not really difficult, but I wouldn't recommend a heavy model like Joel's, which would require a shorter bed and reinforcement of the frame.
I can hardly imagine my deuce without the HIAB...mounting it on a trailer is not practical IMHO.
If you intend to get one from Mr Rosen, be prepared to pay close to 10K for a used one.