• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Screwed up my starter. Someone familiar with starter internals?

Hum

998 with 6.5. The starter bracket is in place and tight. Connections at starter and chassis are clean and tight, but I should have worked on battery connections more before I ended up where I am currently. It has more bendix to flexplate clearance than is should (less than ideal gear engagement), so that is not why the bendix is sticking.
My bendix stopped engaging the flexplate on most attempts to start. Solenoid works to the extent that starter spins every single time, but engine does not get turned. I removed the plug aligned with the solenoid axis (takes a 1-1/4" socket) and pushed with a screwdriver to engage the bendix. That worked, but the bendix is now stuck to the flexplate. I can pry the bendix away from the flexplate, but as soon as I let go it springs back in with considerable force.
I assume that the only spring in the there with that much force is the spring around the solenoid shaft (the spring that returns the solenoid to its "resting" position).
When I apply 12V to the the solenoid coil terminal, the solenoid fires every time and then returns, so the spring is still working for the solenoid also.
Any triicks to try or I need to drop the starter and remove the solenoid to see what I did? The nut at the end of the solenoid axis... If undo that nut, I need to measure how deep it is on the shaft to get the bendix engagement distance right?
Also, what should be the voltage the solenoid coil sees when cranking? I saw 16, 17, 18 V flash on a DMM while it was trying to engage.
Edit: I didn't get any numbers of the starter, but I believe (but could be wrong) that this is an earlier type direct drive version.
TIA!

Last edited:

Hum

To shorten the story, starter would spin but engine would not turn because bendix was not engaging flexplate. I remove plug and pushed on lever and that started truck but now bendix stays engaged to flexplate at all times.

Action

Check for worn teeth on flexplate. Have you replaced anything. A shim may or may not be needed above starter. Hit thd solenoid with a hammer.

Hum

Check for worn teeth on flexplate. Have you replaced anything. A shim may or may not be needed above starter. Hit thd solenoid with a hammer.
The teeth are fine. Have not replaced anything. It has a shim but actually needs to be adjusted for deeper gear tooth contact. Solenoid works (but is probably too weak).

kc5mzd

My starter does similar weird stuff when the battery voltage gets low. Try charging each of the batteries till they are fully charged - replace them if they are suspect. I have 2 $50.00 group 78 Walmart batteries that have worked well for over 1 year now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks