• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

sea foam/spin on question

I have seen the videos of people filling up thier spin on fuel filters with sea foam, then revving it through the motor. I have a racor spin on. Can I simply just remove the in and out lines, dip them into the sea foam can, and do the same thing? Is that essentially the same? or should I just fill the filter? Does this even seem like an effective method? Many here seem to swear by the stuff.

WARWAG

What is Sea Foam? For me I just prefill my oil filters with motor oil when I change oil. Most "This is the best stuff for your engine ever" stuff is pure gimmick. Packaging and advertisement. I bought a motorcycle from a friend who swore up and down by Slick 50 that had Teflon in it. :cookoo: Well When I bought the bike I changed the oil out. In doing so I pulled the cover to the filter and found it completely clogged with that Teflon! Thank god it had a bypass or he would have grenaded that engine. Just one example.

WARWAG

Well I just read up on "Sea Foam". I would stay away from it. Most likely it is just Karosene. Ive seen a bunch of companies market Karosene as "engine cleaners" The absolutely best thing you can do for your engine is frequently change out your oil and filter with top quality oil and a high end filter. If you do that then you wont get sludge or other built up deposits. The problem with SEa Foam and other engine cleaners is they can free up sludge and other gunk that can then get clogged up in your oil passages. That would be VERY bad. 2cents

zout

KSB - seafoam products are basically cleaning agents that are non harmfull if used in the correct application.

If its the motor cleaning agent - it gets added to the existing oil to help clean - also before an oil change several days to clean the gunk - then oil change.

The fuel is a fuel line sytem cleaner - same say except there is no drain.

Trans - cleans the valve bodies in the auto trans - can be used as the motor product.

I use them in our fleet and have had no issues. Company has been around over 40 yrs. Good - solid product when used for the intended purpose.

blackhueys

i use it in everything I have. This is just my opinion but i have increased my fuel economy reduced smog emissions, removed a valve tap, removed what looked like tar from and old engine on and on I swear by it. I have a mercury marauder and every fluid received sea foam when i bought it then a week later all the fluids where changed now the trans works better as well. If you want to know more about this check out mercurymarauder.net or motorcity marauders.com go there and type in the search seafoam and hang on!

flyxpl

some people are not believers .But when the stuff fixes a gummed up carb or stuck,dirty injector without the large repair bill u become a believer .

My concern is how to apply it into my fuel system. Fill the filter? Or perhaps remove the In and out tubes on my spin on, place them in the bottle, and let er rip? Ive seen a video on you tube where sea foam fills the filter cannister, then you rev it through. I wandered if anyone here ever tried it.

flyxpl

Do you realaize it can be just poured in the fuel tank . Your idea of just dropping the hose in it will work fine .

Do you realaize it can be just poured in the fuel tank . Your idea of just dropping the hose in it will work fine .
:ditto: I just put it in the tank....

while putting it in the spin on MIGHT work, I wouldn't do it simply because that motor would just be running off 95% sea foam and 5% diesel until it ran all the sea foam through. I dont KNOW if that would be harmful or not, but I'd rather not find out. If it were me, I'd just put in the tank and be done with it. 2cents

Last edited:

scoutmanadam

I put it in the tank to, usually right before i fill it so it gets mixed well. although im sure it gets blended in pretty good anyway just driving around. it does help break up engine deposits so if you use it in your motor oil and dont use it regularly just once a year or something like that, its good to change your oil soon after.

Stan Leschert

Put it in the tank! You can put a bit into the filter for immediate efects, but it works better after it has soake your gummy crap. I normally refuse to use any addative, but after what it did for a dead motorbike of mine, I believe!
Cheap at 4x the price!

Jimma

Guys, some of you are confusing oil filters with fuel filters. The original post inquired about putting it in a fuel filter and then somehow it was changed to oil. The question was about adding it to the fuel.

I use the product and have had great success as do many other members here. I think of the fuel additive products it is one of the better available.

Boreal21

Like others I just poured a bottle in the tank of my Jeep. I then split a second bottle... half into the crank case about 100 miles before changing the oil, and the other half SLOWLY drizzled into the throttle body to clean out the intake. Neighbors were not very pleased with the monster cloud of white smoke it cut loose after that rofl

I haven't put any in my MVs yet. I need to change the oil in my 1009 in the nearish future, so I may grab a bottle or 2 on my way home and treat the blazer.

Flyingvan911

I run Sea Foam in the crankcase of my van every now and then before an oil change just to help get out a little extra gunk. I change my filter everytime I change the oil.

davidkroberts

if you read the back of the can it describes using it in the filter housing or spin on filter to quickly clean the injectors. I have also just added it to the tank. I believe lucas oil and seafoam are essential additives for every old military engine.