• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sea Foam?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sea Foam is on sale right now at O'Reilly's Auto Parts stores. $9.99/can buy to cans get one free.

Thanks everyone, this is great info. I love it when multiple people chime in with all their experiences. I've decided I'm only going to use it in the intake manifold to clean out the cylinders. I have also bought a fuel additive that I had never heard of before, but all my diesel-owning buddies won't stop talking about it. It's SUPER concentrated (use 1oz per 31gallons of fuel) so it'll last me a while. It's made by RBP. I'll let you know how it goes.

cm526

I just picked up a duece and put Sea Foam in the first tank per my brothers recommendation.
The duece is running smoother and barley smoking at start up.
I'm sure a part of that is just getting the truck back on the road but I'll give credit to Sea Foam as well.

*MikeOneZeroZeroNiner - I think you're taking about a cetane booster?
There could be a whole new thread for cetane.
Sort of like octane, every engine manufacturer has a cetane rating for optimal performance.
Like octane, running cetane levels too high or too low can cause rough idle, poor start up, annoying cold weather bugs, etc.

Last edited:

Goose2448

I use One quart of Marine Two Stroke, One quart of Power Service DieselKleen, and One quart of AFT. Not every tank, but its my work truck. If it were my truck, I would run the Two Stroke every tank, and the rest about once a week. It keeps it quiet, and has a little more power. On long hauls, it bumps my mileage from 9-13 with a 7.3L F550 Grossing around 20K.

344lbsofgetdown

sea foam is great stuff i had a real ruff idle on my m1009 dumped to cans in the tank with a half of tank of diesel and smothed it right out and been running it in every tank since

cucv1833

Like i said in one of my earlier post I use Sea Foam from time to time but for the past 1-year I have been using STARTRON Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment - Star Tron Diesel Additive
I use the diesel additive in my M1009 it only takes 1-oz to one tank.

I use star-tron gas additive on my Gen,quad,boat,harley. I keep a bottle with me all the times.

Its a Enzyme It disperses bacteria in diesel fuel and helps agaist the ethonal in gas.2cents

edpdx

Instead of Sea Foam, I use the Diesel Purge- NAPA to clean the deposits out of the top end/intake.

According to the Spicer Study on Diesel Additives (DieselPlace.com), the Opti-Lube:
Code:
2)Opti-Lube XPD
     Multi-purpose + anti-gel
     cetane improver, demulsifier
     HFRR 317, 319 micron improvement.
     256:1 ratio
     13 oz/tank
     $4.35/tank
Was rated second in performance. It beat out the Standyne, Diesel Kleen, Howe's, Marvel Oil and even Lucas. I did not see Sea Foam Mentioned, although I use it in my gassers with good results.

Last weekend Knecht's Auto Parts had Sea Foam on sale for $6 something. The Opti-lube @$4.35/tank is very competitive. If the study is accurate, then the value is even greater.

Last edited:

zway

I've recently started using the Opti Lube XPD in my 1009. It's smoothed it out a bit and improved gas mileage about 2 mpg. I've only had it running through 3 tanks, so I'll keep everyone posted.

lindyp38

I use Sea Foam liberally in all of my gasoline engines. It works wonders for cleaning out gunked up fuel systems. I don't recall ever using it in one of my diesels, but I'm not sure why I haven't. I do use Lucas in my diesels and always with good results. I've also discovered the power of ATF in diesels. A couple of quarts in a tank of diesel cleaned up my M35's fuel injectors, apparently lubed up some dry seals and stopped some several small fuel leaks, including one on a fuel injector. Your mileage may vary, but my observations have been that a ATF in the fuel is a good thing.
any particular brand of atf....?

how much do i use per tankful...?

will this also work in a mep803a generator....?

TMNT

any particular brand of atf....?

how much do i use per tankful...?

will this also work in a mep803a generator....?
No particular brand of ATF. I just use whatever they have on the shelf, but your just burning it. Its not like you intend for it to protect your transmission for 30,000 miles. You mainly want the high detergent and lubricity. I personally have used ATF to clean out and clean up fuel systems on everything from lawn mowers to trucks, gas and diesel. An old trick to clean carbon deposits off of valves is to simply dump ATF down the carburetor of an engine while it's running at a high idle. It'll smoke like crazy, but it will clean it up. I've actually seen chunks of carbon coming out of the exhaust.

I wouldn't use it in a modern engine with high precision ceramic injectors and catalytic converters. I don't know that it would break it, but I'm not suggesting that anyone try it. Carburetors and mechanical injectors with no catalytic converters should be no problem.

As for the question of how much, I use a couple of quarts in a 40-50 gallon tank of fuel to maintain the system. A diesel engine will tolerate more ATF in the fuel than a gas engine. I have pre-loaded new fuel filters with straight ATF so the engine will actually start on straight ATF before getting fuel after running for a couple of minutes. That was to clean up a seriously gunked up motor in a dump truck. It worked.

To figure out how much you want to run, watch your smoke. A couple of quarts in a tank won't smoke. You can run more but as you increase the amount, you'll start to see white smoke. For general purpose use, I prefer a little over a long time. You'll notice over 3-4 tanks that your fuel system is clean and performs better.

My disclaimer, I'm not a mechanic but I play one on the weekends.

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats the nice thing about this forum, while 'long ago in a galaxcy far far away' I was once trained as a diesel mechanic, today most of us only play at being one. And threads like this allow us to glean the best and worst of what we do in our hobby. The members here are not afraid to post their "SNAFU'S" or even their "FUBAR's" so that the rest of us can learn from others instead of re-inventing it ourselves2cents

ororke1

I use Sea Foam in my gas engines but use Stanydyne Performance diesel additive in my diesels, prevents gelling, removes water, adds lubricity, and boosts cetane rating.

panama

I use a quart of cheap 2 cycle TWC oil and Diesel Kleen for about 20 gallons on every fill up. Truck runs smoother, MUCH quieter and I get a little better fuel economy. I subscribe to the "ATF is not meant to be burned and 2 cycle oil is", philosophy. May give Sea Foam a try too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks