• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sea Foam?

Kalashnikov

I've seafoamed my gas truck before but not my diesels. I seafoamed my 350s this weekend, one is a 7.3IDI non turbo and the other is a turbo and it I didn't notice any excessive smoke or anthing diferent than usual.

The turbo smokes on start up and idles rough sometimes and I didn't notice a diference in it. I was dissapointed because I would've expected even more smoke from a diesel than a gasser.

I poured the whole can into the fuel filters, started it up for about 30 seconds, shut it down for about 5 mins and restarted.

Maybe that waste oil is really cleaning everything out and burning cleaner than diesel!
I still have to do my M818 and M123 though.

wayne pick

The "new" ATF has friction enhancers in it now. No study on it, but those additives are probably not good to run through an IP or injectors. I've used Diesel Kleen, Marvel Mistery, ATF, and just last week, Sea foam. Better throttle response and with adding a qt of motor oil to the fuel it calms down the 6.2 fuel knock. Purrs like a kitten.

Rustsleeps

Sea Foam does work for fuel problems. I had a Honda 40 hp outboard that ended up with a tank of pump gas then sat for a month. It would barely run when I next took it on the lake. I changed the plugs, fuel filter, no luck. I put a can of Sea Foam in about 5 gal of gas and kept it running with the choke. After about 15 20 minutes, it was running well enough to take it on the lake. A nice ride around the lake at full throttle and it was running great. No three carb clean/rebuild and sync. Just Sea Foam. I am a believer...and I do not know why it would not help the diesel.

CycleJay

Hi guys,

Sea Foam question here:

If Sea Foam has ether in it, and ether is BAD for a diesel engine.
Why take the risk of engine damage, by using it in a diesel engine?

I would like to treat my engine too, so my M1009 can benefit.

But I read about so many different products, formulas,
it is difficult to decide what to go with.

And since I am not a chemist, LOL.. And want to keep it simple,
so to avoid any mess or fuss..

Thank you, Good day,

Darwin T

i thought seaform was designed for diesel fuel on boats that are around lots of humidity and condensate. i have thought wrong before though.

on my first recovery my fuel gauge stuck at 1/4 of a tank and i ran out of fuel. i made it to the station to refuel on 1/2 of a gallon jug of rotella 15w40 and a small can of seafoam. put in 25 gallons of diesel and never had a problem.

CycleJay

Hi guys,

No worries.. I was just wondering, because I have read here that ether use on a diesel engine,
can lead to a damaged or broken crank.

And one of the guys in this thread that Sea Foam has either in it..

So I was just curious...

Thanks, Good day,

Flyingvan911

The ether would be so diluted I can't imagine it would cause any harm. Lots of ether in a diesel is bad. In the winter I use just enough ether in the intake mushroom of my deuce to get the diesel to ignite. My theory is, the ether should not be to turn the crank. It should be just enough to ignite the diesel to turn the crank. And just enough to keep the diesel igniting for a few turns until the cylinders are warm enough that the diesel will ignite on it's own.

I like Seafoam. It works well in my gas E150. I use Lucas or Power Service in the deuce since it you get big bottles.

Last edited:

mudman

I use a 16 OZ bottle of 2Cycle WC-3 oil to one tank of Diesel (per Fill up). I don't use ATF as it is not meant to burn for one thing and it has additives for abrasion for the clutch packs in a transmission, not good for a IP at all. Anyway the 6.2 loves the 2 Cycle oil and is quieter less start up smoke and is easier on the fire up too. I get mine at Wal Mart by the case and have a couple of bottles with me at all times.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a lifter sticking or just making noise until I put Seafoam in the crankcase of my Dodge Hemi 5.7. I poured half a can in the tank and half into the oil. No noise now and the engine runs smooth again.

I put a bottle or two in both Deuces and my backhoe and New Holland diesel tractor.

deathrowdave

I have used it to help everthing from a pregnant whore to a fixed basketball game no problems yet !!!!! No, really great stuff has worked worderful for me .:beer:

Maverick1701

its a marine grade 2stroke oil with TC-W3 i have read alot of research about using it in diesel engines and guys love it even in old big rigs. its a ashless non synthetic 2stroke oil which is what you wanna run in a diesel if adding oil as a fuel lubricate. my 1009 is my first diesel my dad told me the trick and have been using it on fill ups for over 2 years and wow what a difference it makes runs much smoother
I can also vouch for 2-stroke...use it in my 7.3 and M35A2
There was a study done a few years back that tested all the diesel additives and their effect on lubricity, etc.
If you search, I'm sure you can find it on the web somewhere...2-stroke ranked pretty highly on the chart.

islandguydon

Living on the water and also on shore I have to deal with outboards / inboards, diesel and gas engines for all kinds of machines. IMHO sea foam is way better than Lucas. You can add it to the oil or fuel or both as desired with absolutely no repercussions. If you can buy it on sale in 1 gallon containers thats the best way to go and way more cost efficient.

FYI, Last week when I started an old john deer single cylinder lawn tractor for the first time since fall I checked the oil. I was down a 1/2 quart and it was smoking bad. I shut it down and added a 1/2 quart of sea foam and after 1 minute of running the smoke quit. For what it's worth I like the stuff.