• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sealing windows

reblawyer

Any suggestions out there for sealing front windshields? We had a rain last night and I had to take the deuce over to the local Highway Patrol for a VIN inspection this morning. I got splattered the whole way. Oh, and at 55 the truck shook a lot, is this normal? That is the first time I have driven on that fast.

devilman96

Rags rags and more rags... I just took mine to a glass shop about the same thing while thinking I wanted a "artic style" windshield. Turns out you can pop the whole fold out frame and put in solid glass if you wish to.... no seals... just epoxy. I am going with AC and loads of electronics so sealing mine is a must... Otherwise its new gaskets, seals, and so on and still... rags rags rags. I didn't ask but a glass whop may have something more "high tech" these days as a modified replacement if you want to keep your fold outs... Might be worth looking into???

A word of caution... do NOT use silicone on them it will cause the frames to rust, if you decide to just seal them shut as some guys have buy the proper window sealer. Silicone by nature draws moisture, it was designed for use on glass but was never intended for use on steel or metals of any type.

linesplice

With regards to the highway shaking, I suppose it depends on what you consider shaking? A number of people report stability problems at speed. The military specified an all-terrain vehicle and built a good one, but they didn't bother to make it polite north of 50mph. The problem is in the design of the rear suspension. Make sure your wheels are balanced up and not flat-spotted - it matters at higher speed.

rmgill

I've been thinking about this and I wonder if a kind of stick on (or screw on) style seal could be added to the frame to make a better seal. A larger seal that's single piece that fits in the window that folds out could also help as would perhaps a bushing that fits onto the window frame itself.

I'm gonna have to order some different bits from McMaster Carr and see what I can figure out.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both of mine are hard. Saturn, and a few others, sell the OEM seals. Why won't the original ones, that are new work?

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is steady at speed, no bounce or shimmy. Hit a good bump and the back end will bounce around. I have a little wheel hop till the tires warm up, takes about 2 miles at speed. I run at 55, have had it about 62 and it was good.
Dennis

Last edited:

reblawyer

Thanks for all the input, I guess I'll start with new window seals and see if that works out. I was a little worried that the rubber from NOS might be dry rotted, any thoughts?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought new door weatherstrip from Memphis, they are still soft. They will most likely have the front window seals too, but they tend to be kind of expensive