• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Search function

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are a couple of locations and types of search functions on this site. I can't find any threads on how to do an efficient search on the site. I would like to see a FAQ on searching. I would like to better understand both search functions available. I would like everyone to learn how to search the site with better success.

The search function is located in the "tools" drop down bar. I usually use the "search forum" search. Only recently did I realise the "search, entire site" searches the TM's also.

There is also a search link at the top of all pages that is just under the word "Forum", that says "search"(with a little magnifying glass next to it). This is the same search as the one in the "tool" drop down bar that is "search, forum only".

I have found that searching for a few key words and selecting the "find all words" and selecting the appropriate forum to search in, to be my most effective method.(ie.. Rizzo's post on changing the short intake coolant hoses on the deuce) I thought of two key words to find, ie.. change and hose in the deuce forum. I was able to read the titles of the search results and find a couple good threads that covered this topic.

I usually think I can find what I need by searching but I would like to improve my success and others here as well.
How do others here use the search with good results? Let share some ideas here.
Even if you have no luck searching, post up so we can try to resolve the challenges we all have at times with the search function.

I have spent many hours in the chat rooms and I don't recall anyone really talking about how to effectively search the site. Maybe some scheduled lessons, nights?

Jake0147

I agree, but I'm not sure how to make it better. I don't always have the best of luck searching, yet I know that ohters have great success with the same searches. (I'm thinking of Google here). Maybe I'm trying too hard, I dunno. I'm chiseling away at a suggestion I heard several times, "Start at the beginning and read the whole forum...", but dang, there's a lot to soak up in there. I'm loosing ground against the new pages that keep coming up!

Srjeeper

Search hardly ever gets me the results I want. It seems to end up listing things that aren't even related. If I search something in the Deuce forum it almost always brings up the latest posts no matter what they are about. I'm fairly certain it's more me than the site, but I have yet to figure it out. :oops:

Of course being a caveman when it comes to computers could have some influence on this also. :roll:

taylordc15

search

when doing a search you need to type and between all words. For example if you were looking for threads on radiator leaks if you type in radiator leak it will return all threads that have radiator in them and all threads that have leak. If you type "radiator and leak" it will return only threads that have both words in them. Hope this helps.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter