• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH!!!

mangus580

C'mon people, use the search feature please. Some of these topics are getting way too repetative! When searching the forums, I find it best to use the search link at the top, it only shows up when you are in the forum.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not link the "New Topic" entry to the search for automatic results, which can be displayed for review by the writer before actually starting a new thread?

Add a counter to the search function, perhaps it's used more than you/we think.

mangus580

wow.... that might be a little tough ;-)

I know most of us regulars probably do search.... it seems to be the n00bs that sign up, and just post..... :-(

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I find the search function marginal at best. Countless times I've searched for posts I've made and came back with negative results. With much digging through previous posts I would find the one the search function didn't. I'd use it much more often if it worked better.

m35a2cowner

Question

Is it possible to put the information that is along the left side of the screen at the top. Each time I look at a forum that information starts off on the right side then about mid-way then eventually makes its way to the left. Even when your far enough down that the information doesn't show, the usable screen width is still smaller. A lot of time you have to use scroll bars. Putting it at the top might cure this. That said I appreciate all the hard work the moderators do. The site looks good and functions well. Thanks to everyone who has a hand in it.

mangus580

Question

m35a2cowner said:
Is it possible to put the information that is along the left side of the screen at the top. Each time I look at a forum that information starts off on the right side then about mid-way then eventually makes its way to the left. Even when your far enough down that the information doesn't show, the usable screen width is still smaller. A lot of time you have to use scroll bars. Putting it at the top might cure this. That said I appreciate all the hard work the moderators do. The site looks good and functions well. Thanks to everyone who has a hand in it.
Not quite sure what you are talking about here....

for those who have had bad luck with the search... are you using the search at the left, or the one above?

m35a2cowner

moving the coloumn

What I was thinking of is taking the column on the left and just run it horizontally across the top. My limited knowledge about life is only exceeded by my limited knowledge of computers, but it seems to me that if the computer was not repositioning the column the page (at least on my computer) might open a bit quicker and it might be possible to get more posts per page. Just a thought.

jim-m35a2

Just a thought here but insurance comes up a lot. I had to search and search and search before I could get any usefull information about what company's insure MVs. My insurance company wanted a commerical policy to insure the deuce, mega bucks per year.

In the searches I saw, "I have AAA $78.00 per year." "I have John's Friendly Insurance Co $120.00 every 6 months." etc etc etc. We need a Topic that list not only what the members pay but what the coverage is, what the reqirements are for garaging the MV, locked garage or in a driveway.. etc etc.

We need to list who to contact, a phone number, a website, what the requirements are to insure the MV and what do they cover?

The insurance questions will come up again and again.

Jim
________
Creampie gangbang

Last edited:

joey

I must be an idiot becuse i cant get the search to do anything. For example I type "search sucks" in the duece modification and hot rodding forum and i get 114 results with topics such as "hub flipping" or "Turbo"

When i tried to find a spin on fuel filter conversion i came up with 338 topics most of them had nuthing to do with fuel or filters.
Its alot faster for me to post a new topic such as "who makes spin on fuel filters" then take 2 days off work searching 338 topics of hub flipping turbo installs etc etc etc

why not sticky more of the common questions newbies ask?
or mabey a better search?

Or am I just doing somting wrong with the search??

therbert

The main issue I have is the requirement for information at the bottom of the message has created false hits for most searches. It would be great if you search for winch that you don't get a hit for every message that some listed the trucks they have with a winch at the bottom.

ida34

One big problem is some people do not know how to title a thread. Stuff like "I have a question" and such make it really hard to find stuff.

joey

ooh I have to add I just found who makes a spin on fuel filter conversion in one click by googling it. Oddly enough it brought me back to this website! Now if only the search here could do that without returning hundreds of results of turbos winches etc

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks