• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH!!!

Bobbed4x4

Banned
I'm new here and use the search as much as I can. To be honest with you, you will most likely never see me start a post asking a question. I understand it must get frustrating to all you who are much smarter than the "newbs", but I personally think it's pretty sad to see someone come to a forum for help and all they get is someone typing a 250 word essay pointing out the short-commings of the poster for not using the search, or something else they did wrong.... 250 words might be a bit of an exageration, but I have seen people type more words to do that, than the amount of words actually required to answer said question... If you give a man a fish, he eats for a day, if you teach the man to fish, he eats for a lifetime,... telling the man to fish is NOT teaching.... hmmm, that reminds me, I'm hungry!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
but I personally think it's pretty sad to see someone come to a forum for help and all they get is someone typing a 250 word essay pointing out the short-commings of the poster for not using the search, or something else they did wrong.... 250 words might be a bit of an exageration, but I have seen people type more words to do that, than the amount of words actually required to answer said question... If you give a man a fish, he eats for a day, if you teach the man to fish, he eats for a lifetime,... telling the man to fish is NOT teaching.... hmmm, that reminds me, I'm hungry!
Read these:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/307779-post58.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/428171-post42.html

Regarding teaching men to fish, I totally agree. We have repeatedly told people we would have "how to" sessions in chat and no one shows up and we have repeatedly told people if they aren't getting good search results they should post up in the website help forum and we'll get them trained to a lethal degree. Since no one ever asks for help, we have to assume everyone is an expert.

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW, if you haven't discovered it already, a Google search with "steelsoldiers" added as a keyword to whatever you are looking for, produces much better results than the on-site search function.

Bobbed4x4

Banned
I understand the frustrations and the problems created.... I too spent A LOT of time here before I joined doing nothing but reading for hours on end... the reason I joined is I felt I knew some of the people here I was reading so much stuff, but couldn't get the full experience. I did discover using google's "search filter"... I use that more often than not, it works better for me, but that's something I'm sure a lot of people don't even put together. Like I say, I totally understand, but the way it gets handled sometimes has me wanting to not start a post. I just don't want to be the poster that gets the rude "use the search you newb" reply in his post when it can be handled a little with a little more diplomacy...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks