• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

seat belt and turn signal required in '51 M37?

Dodge man

Anybody know what Fla requires as far as seat belts and/or turn signals on a '51 M37? It used to be that they weren't required if your vehicle was pre '67 but I don't know if that's still true, particularly since they now require that you WEAR seat belts. Can anyone give me a quick run down on what all you need to install military TS in a M37? My manual (1955) doesn't show anything. Also any recommendations as far as what seat belts to install?

Dodge man

I can't find a picture of those particular ones but a lot of the newer military seat belts (M151, etc) use a big reel to retract the belts and I don't think I'll have room for those.

Stan Leschert

They are on E-Pay and Saturn Surplus.
The ones I used came out of a 69 Beaumont that underwent an interior color change.
Even the correct MFR badge to use on an M-135 (GMC).

Just check with your local wrecker for black or green Lap Belts in good condition. the cost should be low!

I picked up 2 pair of seat belts on E-pay. The seatbelts I replaced had the retractable reel, my replacements are just like airline belts. $5/set, and I used the old belts to have the male side lengthened to make up for the missing retractable reel (and my girth). I also had to get new 3/8" bolt to replace the 1/2" bolts originally used as the new belts had smaller holes. Went with Grade 8 fasteners to make up for the reduced diameter.

saddamsnightmare

March 30th, 2010.

Dodgeman:

Might I suggest that you check with the FL.DMV headquarters people in Tallahassee before you do anything? In most states (except Wisconsin) these vehicle are grandfathered due to their built dates and US Government build specifications from complying with quite a few MVC laws. However..... If you do install modern safety appliances and they are not in working order at the time of inspection or being stopped and inspected by the State troopers, you will not pass the inspection and you might get a ticket.
At least for myself, I figure why exceed the original build requirements and possibly create a source for problems? The K.I.S.S. principle advocated by ye old Wreckerman does have it's good points....
But there were seat belt sets made for the deuce that could most likely be easier adapted to the M-37 then a CUCV set, as the mountings would be much more similar between the M series vehicles as they just about shared cab assemblies... Turn signals? You're on your own, as you may have to go to the more modern composite lights and mountings, which will reduce the authenticity of the vehicle, if that's of any importance.

Just my2cents worth,

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:)

mikkelborg

I remember going through all this stuff with the Washington State laws for my truck. Luckily everything was laid out faily clearly in the RCW's (revised code of washington). A little searching and I think I've found the Florida equivelent in the 'Florida Statutes'. I carry a notecard in my glovebox with all of the RCW numbers that allow me to use my truck the way I do with it regestered as a 'Collector Vehicle'. Maybe it would be smart to carry a card with the Florida Statute numbers for turnsignal and seatbelt requirements?

Anyways, look at statute 316.222 for stop lamps and turn signals

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0316/SEC222.HTM&Title=->2009->Ch0316->Section%20222#0316.222

A '51 only requires one stop lamp and does not need turn signals provided it is less than 80 inches wide (I can't remember the correct width of an M37, it's close) You are required to use proper hand signals when turning if you don't have indicators!

As for seatbelts 316.614 states that vehicles that are not required to be equiped with seatbelts under federal law are exempt.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0316/SEC614.HTM&Title=->2009->Ch0316->Section%20614#0316.614

Acording to this NHTSA document seatbelts were not required until 1967, the only question is whether or not your truck is grandfathered under federal law or if it is a retroactive requirement. Since, like Kyle said, most states do grandfather old vehicles in, it is most likely not retroactive.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/fmvss/index.html

This may be of interest to you too. 'Windshield requirements' 316.2952. There is a military vehicle exemption so I think it would be legal to drive the truck with the windshield down or the windows folded up, provided you wear an 'approved eye-protective device'.... You should probably talk to a highway patrol officer before attempting it though, just to be sure.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0316/SEC2952.HTM&Title=->2009->Ch0316->Section%202952#0316.2952

Hope this helps,
Collin

Last edited:

Stan Leschert

If there is any way that you can "Meet or Exceed" current local regs you will save yourself a whole bunch of hassles from rookie LEOs. It does not cost a bunch, just to do the simple stuff. It's up to you, but I know that our rig is up to date. If I find a good dual brake circuit which looks right, that may be on too!