• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seat covers?

Brad

Have a 1952 M135 that I need to find a source for seat covers?
I know about New Life Canvas, very nice and very helpful.
Problem is they dont have a match.
My passenger seat covers are pretty decent.
They are oliver green vinly. And thats what I want to match for the drivers seat and back.
My back cover thats in very bad cobdition is of the same so I know someone made it at one time.
Anyone have any ideas where I can get a matcj?
Thanks in advance,
Brad

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just had the seats in my Deuce completed by New Life Canvas they did a wonderful job with making new cushions and canvas covers they really did great, I do not know where else to go for vinyl covers Sorry!

radiogeek

I ordered a passenger seat cover (bottom) for my Deuce from Beachwood Canvas. You can choose metal eyelets for the rope or plain so you can use staples (if you have the plywood base). You can order the covers for most military seats. Excellent company to work with! Highly recommended.

nattieleather

I was going to say that Beachwood suposedly does GI contracts and has the milspec vinyl. You might give them a call and see if they could make the seat. The thing is is your seat made out of GI vinyl or something some canvas shop had sitting around that the PO put in? It may be harder to match than you think. The other option would be to get a used vinyl top that someone wants to get rid of. Like for a CUCV or M151 that the window and zippers are shot but the vinyl is still good and use that to have your seat covers made. If you can't find someone to do that let me know I might be able to help.

Gunfreak25

Believe it or not, both vinyl and canvas was used in making G749 seat covers. The original 1955 manual shows decent pictures of how the seats are assembled, and it does indeed appear to be a textured (porous) vinyl type material. Whether it's olive drab or brown is another question. I needed my drivers seat reupholstered so I took it and the Army Manual down to the shop and had him look at the pictures. He's been in business for over 40 years and confirmed that it indeed looked like textured vinyl in the pictures.

My spring seat was trash but the wood base was still good after a repainting. He used high density polyurethane foam for the seat bottom and back cushions. He used brown textured vinyl and even put the fancy pleats in them. Similar to the original military covers, my seat back slips over the entire seat back with the cushion inside, it is fastened to the seat frame by a large Velcro strip inside the seat frame, the bottom cushion then simply slips in place. Comfortable as heck and sits me high enough I can see a little bit of the front left fender out of the windshield. Feel free to print this picture and take it to your local upholstery guy if you'd like to have something similar. My truck is not original but I have been doing my best to keep it looking G.I.

Attachments

Last edited: