• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seat problem

jacklegjim

I pulled my seat out of my 1008
to paint the inside of the cab.
I was looking at the seat to see
what was going to be involved in
recovering it and when I looked at
under the seat I saw all the wires
that support the seat bottom are
rusted and broken. I have tried to
find the wire support for a seat online
and found some for a bucket seat
not a bench. Does anyone have any suggestion?
I have looked for a used seat local to me
And I have came up empty handed.
I found used seats on line I think shipping
would cost too much.
I could possibly replace the wires
with music wire I would want this to be my last option.
thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Used is likely the best bet. Shipping a seat is costly but maybe you can find someone who will strip off e erything and sell the bottom. I just did mine and the bottom frame is light. Open your search to CL and even outside your area.

cucvrus

I have had several of these with the same issue. the man at the upholstery shop removes them rusty springs and uses canvas and burlap and stretches it under the foam cushion. It works well for years. The wires in these seats have always been an issue. They are very thin and large people and 30 years of hard use have taken their toll. Older GM trucks have similar seats and have a better spring support system in them. Some do not fold forward but that is something to consider. Even Suburban front seats will bolt right into a pick up. But they don't fold either.

Gripy

My fat butt has broken the wires before. bought the coiled springs to replace the missing ones. Ran cardboard between the remaining wires and the foam of the seat. Then I strung paracord zig-zag to support all of it.