• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seat Recovering?

twinfiftys

Does anyone know of a source for original material for recovering the seats in the M35? I know seat covers are available but I would prefer material so I can restore to original condition. Thanks for any help you can give.

Kaiserjeeps

Twinfifties, RCT fabrics in Portland has canvas. I was just in there buying some supplies and saw OD green in bulk rolls in a catalog. They have to order it in. I don't have their number but ask for Annette. They are located right near the end of 405 where it turns into hiway 30.

Longhunter7

Twinfiftys,

New Life Resource
418 North Main St.
P.O. Box 176
Bakersfield, Vermont
1-802-827-6124

They have the original canvas material already made up into seat covers! I have them on my Deuce and they are just like the original covers but all the work is done for you! :cool:

yeager1

If your going to recover seats there is alot of places sell OD canvas, but I like using quality treated canvas (like used in some traps and tents) much better. It's fairly water proof, fire resistant and dang near stain proof. Any local auto apolstery shop should be able to track some down, or buy the right type of tarp and cut it up. Just my [2cents]

MVtrucker

Most canvas suppliers offer ready made upholstery, not covers. I think that Judith at New Life will make it out of the trated canvas for cab tops by request. Available in #383 Green and O.D.

baja_power

Longhunter7 said:
Twinfiftys,

New Life Resource
418 North Main St.
P.O. Box 176
Bakersfield, Vermont
1-802-827-6124

They have the original canvas material already made up into seat covers! I have them on my Deuce and they are just like the original covers but all the work is done for you! /DotNetForum/emoticons/cool.gif

How were they on price? I will need new canvas on the driver seat. but it is low on the list for now..

Lee Alessi

new life price list 12/04

Following is our list of canvas and webbing items for the M-series 2 ½ ton trucks.  We use 18-oz/square yard canvas with the correct milspec water and mildew resistant finish for tops and seat covers (different finish for tops and seats).  Details and designs are the same as the originals.  Hardware is black finish, sewing thread is polyester, zippers are aluminum, tie down ropes are your choice of manila or black polypropylene (if you don’t specify, we send manila).

Colors available for tops are: olive drab (34087) or 383 green (34094).  We make tops in canvas only, no milspec vinyl.

We make seat covers in the original olive drab canvas or in black leatherette vinyl.  We can make seat covers, and tops, in non-milspec fabrics.

All prices include shipping within the continental US.  All items are made to order, we don’t carry inventory.  Please call or write for canvas samples or more information.

Seat covers (M35 series “Reo”) $100, any one cover $25
Set of 4, specify old or new style driver’s seat; new style seat has adjustable spring ride & seat covers staple on; old style has M715 seat with storage box in base, seat bottom cover has grommets for lace-on installation and seat back slips over seat frame; passenger seat is bench style; seat bottom cover has grommets for lace-on installation and seat back has drawstring to get cinched around padding and rod-type frame

Seat covers (M211 series GMC) $130, any one cover $35
Set of 4; original style; seat bottoms have grommets and cord to lace on to spring assemblies; driver’s seat back slips over seat frame; passenger’s seat back envelopes padding and attaches to seat frame with welt at top

Cab top (M35 “Reo”) $300
Same as original, designed for use with support rods that run from windshield to front top bow; can also make old style with flat roof for use without support rods; complete with tie down rope

Cab roof (M211 GMC) $150
Same as original; complete with tie down ropes (3)

Cab back (M211 GMC) $175
Same as original except we use stainless steel battens in front edges of sides rather than mild steel; complete with fold-down window and tie down rope; secures to top bow with sheet metal screws (not included)

Cargo cover (M35 & M211) $500
For 12 foot cargo bed on dual wheel trucks; original style complete with rollup buckles for sides and all tie down ropes

Cargo cover (M34 & M135) $500
Same as above only made for the slightly narrower bed of the single wheel trucks

End curtain (M35 & M211) $120
Each; original style with flap window and rope to lace it on to the end bow; 2 required to complete the cargo box enclosure

End curtain (M34 & M135) $120
Each; same as above only made for the slightly narrower cargo bed of the single wheel trucks

Rollup straps $30
Set of 10; attach to your bow corners with slotted metal swivel plate (not supplied); rivets included; these straps enable you to roll the sides of the cargo cover up, they secure to the buckles on the cargo cover

Fuel can strap $15
2 piece strap attaches to the fuel can carrier using rivets (supplied) and secure the fuel can

Pioneer tool rack straps (M35 series “Reo”) $15
Set of 3 straps to secure pioneer tools in the standard M-series pioneer tool rack

Pioneer tool straps (M211 series GMC) $25
2 wide straps that secure tools and cab parts behind passenger seat inside the cab

Tailgate chain covers $9
Pair of canvas sleeves to go over tailgate chains to prevent rattling and damage to paint

Paulin hooks for cab roof rollup (M211 series GMC) $5
Set of 3 webbing straps with paulin hooks to attach inside cab above windshield so cab roof canvas can be secured in rolled forward position (D-rings are on cab roof)

Winch spool cover $25
Non-original item; covers cable spool portion of Garwood 10,000 lb. winch; secures with 2 sewn on straps

Boarding ladder straps $16
Set of 4 straps to secure troop boarding ladder

MVtrucker

I thought the list looked familiar, I have it too, but I thought maybe you were in the business. It was a case of these old eyes letting me down, I didn't see the New Life heading. Had my glasses on, too...

Elwenil

There are many places that sell the ready made seat covers if you want to shop around, but the prices are pretty close in most cases. New Life is one, as well as Weebee Webbing and Beachwood Canvas. I'm sure there are probably many more out there selling similar products. The only one I have dealt with personally is Beachwood, and I am very happy with my new top, but I went with vinyl instead of smelly ol' canvas, lol.

WeeBee Webbing:
http://www.odcloth.com/products.html

Beachwood Canvas:
http://www.beachwoodcanvas.com/

twinfiftys

Thanks for all the information guys. Ordered seat, chain and winch covers this morning from New Life. Very nice people to deal with. Should have everything in a couple of weeks. Thanks again. Norm :p

n3uka

Looks like I am going to spring for new seat covers.
Any thoughts on where to get new padding for the seats?
Hoping I don't have to try and make it myself.
Could only imagine how bad mine would look. :lol:

MVtrucker

I've purchased foam rubber at fabric shops. Take a pattern and the thickness you want and they should be able to use a special electric tool to cut it for you. Get fairly dense foam. Too soft and you "bottom out" when sitting on it. Replacement seats from Memphis Equipment have foam instead of "hair" and springs. I've seen many original seats with foam in them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC John Winslow has the newer cushions complete. I've got one of the newer foam pass seat bottoms with the nylon type material. It's not that cool to look at but nice to sit on!