• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seat Upgrade M813

Wastelander

Greetings everyone!

Longtime lurker, finally got around to registering here. Let me begin with saying that all the members have been a wealth of info so far for my 5 ton questions.
I used to own a 1973 AM General M818 with the 5th wheel removed and replaced with a short troop transport bed, loved that truck but had to sell that beautiful beast a while ago and I'm finally getting to buy a new one. This one is a 1966 AM General M813, standard cargo bed with hoops and canvas on super singles with winch. I love these trucks and love taking them on long hauls to Calfornia for visits with my old friends, and my only complaint was the seat. I like the slow speeds for the scenic views and I love the smiles and thumbs up I get from all the drivers passing me, I'm just miserable with the sore butt I get after a couple hundred miles. So now that I've regaled you all with several bits of useless info, here's my query. Has anyone swapped out the seats in their 5 ton for some air ride or better mechanical spring seats? I've tried sifting through all the posts but couldn't find anything about upgraded seats. If anyone has done it and could give me specs, parts, and procedures I would greatly appreciate it. Or failing that could you link a thread that has this discussion already? Thanks!

PWM

I have an Ensign series air ride seat made by National Seating in my M923A2, I love it. It is very comfortable , I would rather drive my 5 than my one ton Dodge or my wife's Volkswagen Jetta. The Jetta is the worst it kills my back, but it is a Diesel so it gets amazing fuel mileage. The last long trip I took in my 5 ton was almost 500 miles( Portland), and I felt great when I was done. The same trip in the Jetta or my Dodge, I want to drive off a cliff into the Colombia river because my back and butt hurts so bad.

If you don't mind me asking did you buy the five ton that was parked off of I 90 near the Broadway exit. I have seen it sitting there but my wife told me no more trucks.

Attachments

Wastelander

I don't mind at all. I'm planning to buy the very same one off the I90 by the Broadway exit. Taking her for a test drive tomorrow to make sure she's tip top before handing over the cash. Thanks for the tip on the seat! I'll see what I can scrounge up at Spaulding's for OTR tractor seats after I get the truck. Cheers! :)

PWM

Awesome . I hope it works out , it looks like a good truck. I need to get another air ride seat for the passenger side of my M923A2 so my wife can have the same ride as I do. But first I have to re-locate the batteries out of the cab. When I do I hope I can get a good deal on a seat from Spaulding, new ones are kinda expensive. Let us know how it goes.

Wastelander

Will do! I'll be uploading pics a.s.a.p. By the way, how did you run the air lines to the seat? Just a tap into one of the air lines off the compressor?

zxmedic

There is a open valve you can tap into under the dash on your 813,has a shut valve on it already drivers side .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks