• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Second Gear

Billy Bobbed

I have a 46 inch tire bobbed deuce.I take off in second gear instead of 1st gear.Im having trouble sometimes getting it in second gear when I set at a stop light.When I try to put it in second, it sometimes goes in, or about half way in, or not at all.So I go up and down from second and 3rd gear to get it in or I just put it in 1st gear.Im afraid Im going to break a tooth on second gear trying to put it in.I tried to double clutch it,it sometimes works.I can get it in if im rolling to a stop light.Is this normal, or is something wrong.Ive drove a lot off stick shifts in my time.I had a CJ5 jeep on 44 swampers with a 454 Chevy with a Chevy truck unsyncronized 4 speed that wasnt this bad.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should always start off in 1st gear in a Deuce, although I know many that start off in second. The clutch should never be slipped. Aside from that, this would have nothing to do with you not being able to put the transmission in 2nd gear easily. It should go in second very easily. I would recommend the following:
1. Make certain that the clutch is releasing 100%
2. Check forks and fork alighment
3. Check synchronizers

You will need to pull the top cover for 2 & 3
Good luck.

ctmustang

with the 46 in tires I would definately start off in 1st. All my deuces have had the problem of not wanting to go into 2nd gear at a stand still. I usually if I'm starting in 2nd pull it in and let up slightly on the clutch without slipping it and it falls rite in.
CT

zout

My simple way to explain what you are doing to the guts of the transmission:

Take your left hand and stick out your pointer finger
Take your right hand and tightly grip your pointer finger
Now - twist the crap out of it
When you stick the trans in second and not first - this is what you are doing to your input shaft and trans main shaft.
The trans gears all slide within thousanths on the mainshaft - now you are twisting it.

Take your automatic trans in your car - tell the trans shop to lock it not to start in first gear every time because it is a pain and it starts out too slow - within a week you will destroy your trans.
First gear starts the mass of weight you have in the vehicle to get it moving from a dead stop.

This is not sourcastic - but in our fleet of trucks - when I see second gear synco's destroyed I charge the driver back for the full repair.
I also see drivers drive around at low speed - in high range gears - when the trans finally takes a dump - I charge them back for full repairs costs to put it back to spec's.:arrow: moving on

73X

Would someone please help me understand why we should not take off in second gear? Why would the load on second gear with an empty truck be any worse than taking off in first gear with a loaded truck and shifting to second. Or even shifting to second on a hill. I am not sure the torque load is enough to cause a problem if the truck is empty even with taller tires.

Josh

First gear is designed to get the truck rolling.. Also when I have a load, I tend to put the truck in lowrange, Start in second and work my way threw the gears, when I hit the top of 5th, I shift the Transfer case into High range, and the trany back down into 4th. Not only is the RPM drop a little less. also alows me to get the truck rolling alot better with less stress on the clutch. Besides that first to 2nd jump with a load on a hill is misserable.

Try it the way I suggested, See if it makes any difference.

PS I know it didnt totally answer your question, but also i have trouble getting my truck into 2nd at a stand still, if it doesnt pop right in with ease, I always start in 1st.

73X

With proper maintenance and lack of abuse I think second gear is fine. My opinion only mind you. Also mine goes into second just fine. I just can't see any reason unloaded why second is so bad. Especially when the truck is bobbed and weighs less.

Trango

The other issue I've heard about taking off in second is that you'll shear the woodruff keys on the 2nd gear cluster (not sure if that's countershaft or mainshaft). Not sure if that's an issue or not but it's what I was told long ago.

I was told that if you don't ease the clutch in 2nd, you run the risk of shearing that cluster right off the shaft, and then you're in for an obligatory rebuild. Not necessarily fun.

FWIW I took off gently in second for years before I swapped motors and trannies, unless I was loaded heavy.

Last edited:

derby

They put that gear in there for a reason,use it or loose it! there is a key way that WILL shear off if you continue to start in 2nd. this is a well known fault of the Deuce trans. I would think with 46"tires you would need to start off in 1st and I would think you should have reasonable speed with your new final drive ratio. I know a guy that has a couple good used trans laying around when you need it.:razz: buy the way why not just put it in 5th and skip all that shifting:roll:

Reactions: emr

73X

They put that gear in there for a reason,use it or loose it! there is a key way that WILL shear off if you continue to start in 2nd. this is a well known fault of the Deuce trans. I would think with 46"tires you would need to start off in 1st and I would think you should have reasonable speed with your new final drive ratio. I know a guy that has a couple good used trans laying around when you need it.:razz: buy the way why not just put it in 5th and skip all that shifting:roll:
I am all about discussing difference in opinions just keep you sarcasm and attitude it isn't needed.
We all have different opinions and thoughts on what works hence the discussion.
I think the myth of not starting in second gear is blown way out of proportion.
There are too many variables in trucks, loads, terrain and drivers to say never start in second.

derby

The only truck I have plated right now is my dump, and it has farm plates wich limits my travels. I may be able to show in the old work mobile.

rat4spd

This issue has been hashed repeatedly by those that do it, and by those that claim it hurts the transmission.

I use second almost exclusively. Other members have been doing it for many years. Those that claim it harms the transmission, please offer some facts and not hearsay as evidence please.

If second gear cant get a 13,000 pound truck rolling, it sure as heck isn't going to stand up to a second gear shift at 24,000#'s.

If I kill second gear in the process, it deserved it.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
This issue has been hashed repeatedly by those that do it, and by those that claim it hurts the transmission.

I use second almost exclusively. Other members have been doing it for many years. Those that claim it harms the transmission, please offer some facts and not hearsay as evidence please.

If second gear cant get a 13,000 pound truck rolling, it sure as heck isn't going to stand up to a second gear shift at 24,000#'s.

If I kill second gear in the process, it deserved it.
I agree.

stumps

I have noticed when reading through back issues of PS magazine that most of the articles featuring girls with big boobs are put there to try and paper over an engineering mistake on this piece of equipment, or that. For instance, there is an article that tells you ignore the TM, and never make your generator idle because it will burn out the regulator board.... A good design wouldn't have that problem.

PS magazine is most emphatic about never starting a M35A2 in second gear, loaded, or unloaded. I figure that there is a good reason. By the way, they specifically tell you to slip the clutch when starting out. Dumping the clutch on start up is a great way to twist off various drive train parts.

-Chuck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks