• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

second turbo

panzerwillie

Well with this nice weather change here in Florida it the last few days it feels like i install a second turbo on my DD M1009 , the boost comes in faster and stronger which tells me i need to put a bigger intercooler or more efficient for next summer aua

Keith_J

I notice cooler weather on my VW TDI. Cooler air means more power.

At first, I thought you had twin-turboed a CUCV. I was thinking a pair of Garrett VNT-17s would work great, if you could control the vanes correctly. Quite different than a waste gate boost control. Since these are much smaller, they might be able to fit to stock exhaust manifolds, hidden behind the engine.

Skinny

I notice cooler weather on my VW TDI. Cooler air means more power.

At first, I thought you had twin-turboed a CUCV. I was thinking a pair of Garrett VNT-17s would work great, if you could control the vanes correctly. Quite different than a waste gate boost control. Since these are much smaller, they might be able to fit to stock exhaust manifolds, hidden behind the engine.
A twin turbo'd 6.2 would be awesome. It would eliminate the need for complicated exhaust setups and the clearance issues with fitting a 6.5 turbo setup onto a 6.2 engine. Maybe use a pair of off the shelf turbos from a small car like a WRX or Evo.

panzerwillie

its a lot easier with one turbo plus you can use all the 6.5 stuff is cheap and easy to get plus it will give all the power that 6.2 can handle good luck with either choice:D

Skinny

With the little research I've done on the 6.5 turbo parts, it requires some hack double gasket on one of the manifolds for clearance, the turbo hits the dual battery arrangement on the CUCV, and requires a new exhaust arrangement.

panzerwillie

All i did on my was grind down a little where it got close to the injectors i think was 2 of then however it would run better if you put a set of 6.5 turbo injectors and there is not clereance issued with then , and yes the downpipe is a challenge but in the M1010 build i did i ran it outside the inner fender and put it back under the frame and back next to the tranny and back from now on all my turbo set up will be like that, for the batteries i just put both on the front bracket...

Keith_J

Twins would also be closer to the manifolds which makes them a bit more efficient.

Far better to run cold/pressurized air tube since you can use silicone rubber boots and aluminum tube.

Of course you have to DIY all of it, this is the fun. Now if you can find a pair of VNT-17s for cheap...