• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

secondary driveline/parking brake

Kaiser67M715

I am looking for some input on a secondary driveline/parking brake. there have been a couple times my parking brake has not held, even though I routinely check and adjust. most of the time it is when I have a load and have to park it on more then a 5% grade.

I thought about a pinion, mechanical, but am not sure, really looking for ideas on a different parking set up.

I do have a set of chocks I use, but do not want it to start rolling halfway out the cab, although it has yet to do that, most of the time it will "ratchet" once or twice, before rolling if I did not chock, and luckily the two times I distinctly know I didn't chock was when I was doing a walk around verify my load was strapped before exiting the driveway, and was able to hop in and step on the brakes.

I have searched quite a bit, but I haven't found anything useful yet.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I've been surprised at how well mine holds, you sure you have everything installed/adjusted right?

I wouldn't do a driveline brake as the disk will spin so fast and create lots of heat.

Kaiser67M715

I've double checked everything and done it by the book. I have heard how well they hold, but have also seen a few post here that say their parking brake won't hold adjusted either.

and I understand how much faster a driveline brake spins, which is why I would do mechanical, so there is no chance of dragging the pads, I Just thought about trying to mount something like the M715/M37(I think the jeeps did as well) drum parking brake, it should be relatively simple to make the brackets to mount, but I am unsure of how well that would hold the M35, although it would be used in conjunction with the original drum parking brake.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks