• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

secondary fuel filter change

amaverick88

well i decided to work on the deuce today to keep my mind busy since my girlfriend is over in southwest asia somewhere. so i attempted to change the fuel filters on the the deuce. i noticed how much of a p.i.t.a. the primary is so i decided to start with the secondary. i followed the tm and got it all out and put back together. i tried to purge the system like it says to with the bleeder screw on top of the mount but i didnt see anything happen to it. i had the bleeder screw all the way off with the acc switch on but nothing happen. i do know some people on here had said to fill the canisters with fuel but not sure if this would help at all. i remember seeing a post on here about the a deuce not starting after the change but cant seem to find it in the search option. so any help would be greatly appreciated.

3rdmdqm

Definitely check the in-tank pump. I had same issue when I changed mine. No fuel coming to flters and my in tank pump was running. When I removed the pump to check it, the bottom had fallen off. Once that was repaired, it pumps fine and I get fuel to the secondaries and can purge the system of air with the bleeder valve and get fuel through the system with pressure as it is supposed to. If your in-tank pump doesn't work and you have to get it going, fill the canisters with fuel first and the then install. May take a bit, but the IP pump will draw enough fuel to get it going again.

amaverick88

just out of curiosity if the in tank pump is shot you can by pass it by just filling the secondary canisters and it will run just fine? the engine will draw in the necessary fuel to run?

eagle4g63

Short answer, yes. I know this because I had my alternator go out and had no electric(batteries died) she ran just fine until I turned it off!!!! no power to crank it over again. That is why there is a fuel shut off to turn off the truck. If you turn off the main switch the truck just keeps going....no in tank fuel pump working at that time. Makes you wonder why there is one to begin with!

eagle4g63

Pretty cool if you think about it, the truck can just keep going on nothing but it's own engine running to get you back to where you need to be as long as you don't kill the motor. No need for any electric! Can't say for how long without causing any damage to the IP but I think it is still cool anyway, Fire it up on anything(almost) and just keep running....the best end of world vehicle I could think of!! One reason I bought one!

amaverick88

to fill up the canister do i have to take them off or can i carefully fill it up through the breather valve on top. if i am thinking of the right term

eagle4g63

I would think you could fill through the bleeder(breather), but it might take forever, also you might need to open the other one so you get the air to go out somewhere.

Garandfan

Primary filter isn't a PITA.... 9/16 socket to loosen the alternator bolt. Rotate the alternator towards the motor. Removal of the canister can be done leaning over the fender. Crescent wrench for the bolt that holds on the primary. Hold the bolt with your right hand and the canister with your left and spin either the bolt or the canister until it comes off. You can bring the canister up over the fender. I re-install from under the truck. 15 minutes tops. Then get a crow bar to wedge between the motor and the alternator. Pull the crowbar with the left and tighten the bolt with the right.

3rdmdqm

Yes, take both of them off to fill them first, then tighten them back up same as just changing the filters. And make sure the vent bolt is tight/closed before you crank it or you will suck air in.

Last edited:

3rdmdqm

just out of curiosity if the in tank pump is shot you can by pass it by just filling the secondary canisters and it will run just fine? the engine will draw in the necessary fuel to run?
You are not bypassing the pump. The engine will draw enough fuel to run the truck through the IP. The in tank pump keeps fuel pressure to the filters, system and IP to purge air and allow filters to be changed etc so the canisters fill back up and air gets out. if your in-tank pump is working, when you open the bleeder valve bolt on top of the secondaries, fuel will squirt out as the canisters fill and the air escapes. the in tank does not get bypassed, the IP is just sucking the fuel through the inoperable pump assembly/tank. Similar principle as a syphon.