• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

secret kill switch - security - discourage possible theft?

Jack Lope

Anyone installed a kill secret kill switch? Thinking about doing it for peace of mind when parking outside my stomping ground. Maybe is silly, maybe not, but I'd feel better for some small trips I tossing around.

Basically, is there anything I should keep in mind? Best way to tap it in or kind of switch or wire? Guessing the starter solenoid? Or is there better idea? Ignition or batteries?

Not asking where anyone switch is hidden, just if there are things to keep in mind when doing it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There have been many threads on this topic.

Wondering if you searched before posting.

HelluvaEngineer

Anyone installed a kill secret kill switch? Thinking about doing it for peace of mind when parking outside my stomping ground. Maybe is silly, maybe not, but I'd feel better for some small trips I tossing around.

Basically, is there anything I should keep in mind? Best way to tap it in or kind of switch or wire? Guessing the starter solenoid? Or is there better idea? Ignition or batteries?

Not asking where anyone switch is hidden, just if there are things to keep in mind when doing it.
On mine there's a giant ass chain under the seat that can run all the way up to the steering wheel. That would be the mechanical solution. Just throwing it out there.

Sent from my VIVO XL using Tapatalk

Ilikemtb999

On mine there's a giant ass chain under the seat that can run all the way up to the steering wheel. That would be the mechanical solution. Just throwing it out there.

Sent from my VIVO XL using Tapatalk
Steering wheels are incredibly easy to cut FYI. It’ll deter someone without any cutting tools but small pocket size bolt cutters will go right thru a wheel

LT67

After having my 79 K20 flatbed truck stolen from my driveway last year, I would say yes. I literally just got it back on the road today after collecting parts to put a stripped engine bay back together. Next is a kill switch and LowJack. I'm not going through that crap again....

Jack Lope

Thanks for replies! I did do search, but so much came up and I didn't see this specifically.

I did do relay mod which is partly what make me realize how easily can be hot wired. I also have the chain that I lock steering wheel with, but figure can be quickly removed with bolt cutters.

The neutral switch is interesting. Don't understand how that works, but gives me something to look into. If I put switch on starter relay, just need to make sure I get wiring and switch for correct amperage/volt/watt/current, etc. My electrical knowledge is remedial.

GREENMV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone installed a kill secret kill switch? That's funny, I put the key In mine when I first bought my M1009 and it's been there since. I figured everyone else had one. :p

Gripy

I'd figure to do something with the pink wire going to the IP. That way any robbers get a crank but no start and they give up thinking you have an old piece of shot that doesn't run.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone installed a kill secret kill switch? That's funny, I put the key In mine when I first bought my M1009 and it's been there since. I figured everyone else had one. :p
That is why mine has the secondary switch. I have given away lots of CUCV keys.

I'd figure to do something with the pink wire going to the IP. That way any robbers get a crank but no start and they give up thinking you have an old piece of shot that doesn't run.
I once went to Disney and parked in their ginormous lot. I unplugged the pink wire. It was a civy 6.2 truck and frankly, the best theft deterrent it had was the 6.2 Diesel badges.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've considered adding a secondary kill switch. I thought about going the easy way and cutting power to the IP. But something to consider is, do you want a burnt/broken starter and/or dead batteries? I'd think it'd be more prudent to cut the starter solenoid lead. Maybe under the body somewhere, away from under the dash wiring to make it less obvious. If someone knows anything about a CUCV, they'd probably start looking at the 24v relay under the dash to being the "issue". Which might uncover the "kill". Just thinking out loud.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks