• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Security

nspctr1

One of my neighbors happens to work in the motor pool and stops by on occasion to give me pointers on the 998. He asked me what kind of anti theft device I was using, I told him I was only using the cable at the time and debating on a battery cutoff or keyed ignition. He said that they would pull a wire from the top of the motor, he called it a alpha wire, and the motor would crank but not start. He showed me the wire, we disconnected it and sure enough, it cranks but no start. Question is, does this harm anything? I don't see how but would like to know just in case. And, why doesn't anyone else do this?

Thx

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats the fuel cutoff solenoid....you will just end up with dead batteries and or a fried starter, Better then a stolen truck IMO. You can run a remote hidden switch to this same wire, active and deactivate as needed...hide it under the dash.

99nouns

Or can you at least send a picture with private message so we dont let the 8 billion other people which wire is that, or get it added to how to steal a military truck guide...

WalterMitty

Here's my current set up....

I used to have a keyed switch where the original military spec "toggle" switch was, but I think it might have been causing me fits with the PCB, so I punted it. While this switch isn't hidden, I really like the new set up. Turn the keyed switch to "on" and the toggle works as normal.

Attachments

Jakob1944

One of my neighbors happens to work in the motor pool and stops by on occasion to give me pointers on the 998. He asked me what kind of anti theft device I was using, I told him I was only using the cable at the time and debating on a battery cutoff or keyed ignition. He said that they would pull a wire from the top of the motor, he called it a alpha wire, and the motor would crank but not start. He showed me the wire, we disconnected it and sure enough, it cranks but no start. Question is, does this harm anything? I don't see how but would like to know just in case. And, why doesn't anyone else do this?

Thx
How many average joes know this......I mean if they wanted they could get a tow truck and haul it off........

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm guessing the magic wire referred to on the IP is the single Douglas connector wire that is on the top(fuel shut-off solenoid).

Jakob1944

I'm going to break the neutral start wire near the trans shift lever underneath and place a toggle somewhere.......also going to break the battery connection and utilize the steering wheel cable lock........

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not be creative and add a switch that will disconnect the fuel shut-off and connect it to the horn.

When they turn on power and hit the starter, the horn would blow.

Or even make it not require the power on first. Hit start and horn blows.

Hide or mis-lable the switch

Action

Thge IP wire? Like I want to have to raise the hood every time I get out or get in it. It would only take a couple times of that before someone wanting it would catch on.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All I did was to place a toggle switch to kill the starter, it's hidden, but still easily accessible.
I also have a live GPS tracker, it's about 1" X 2", I pay about $25.00 a month for service.
i can see where it is anytime anywhere on my computer or cell phone.
i can even put an invisible border with the tracker, so if it moves I get an e-mail.
Also if you were to lend the said toy to someone, you get full tracking history , speed etc...
At the amount of money I have invested in this, $25.00 a month is a little price to pay for peace of mind

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's the tracker, I also have a small pelican case for it with a magnet, so I can stick on the frame, battery will last about two weeks on a charge
IMG_1502.JPG

Wire Fox

WOW!! Ain't that the truth! Half the 'no start' problems on SS are related to the vehicle not being in P or N!! Ha, ha, ha!!!
I personally had the same problem, but at least I figured it out on my own. To be fair, I didn't have a transmission installed, so I wasn't concerned about what position the gear shifter was in...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks