• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

See through Multifuel

natem

Had a runaway once. Just bought a used 80's something GMC C65 with a 453T Detroit, was smiling all the way home doing 65 mph on the freeway. Got off at my exit to a 4 mi stretch of feeder freeway, let off the throttle and she kept going. Made that 40 mph exit at 65, the harder I stood on the brakes the more she wanted to go. I pulled the shutdown, nothing happened, three miles to go. Started stomping the throttle and after a mile or so she shut down. If you ever own a two stroker det. check the governor shaft for ware!

Nate

Last edited:

Tlauden

Yep, Detroits were known for that. Runaways can suck the oil out of the pan until they go Blooey. A lot of older fire trucks had emergency levers to seal the intake if it ran away.
Our Sutphen fire engine has one them there levers! It's big n red and I was told never to pull it unless it's truly needed. I guess it's hard to reset?? I didnt know it closed the air intake! Thanks

And sorry to hear bout ur truck, that sucks, I think I woulda cried....

Vintage iron

Wow! Sorry for your lose:(. But I am one of those guys who slows down to see the carnage at accidents. So let's see them! nopicsIt would make a great mailbox. Let's see the high school kids bang that off with a baseball bat!

If i may ask. The multi fuel is not a real powerful engine. Why not put it in 5th gear hold the brakes and let out the clutch?

Will it over power the clutch when running away?

Isa 1:11 "To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices to Me?" Says the LORD. "I have had enough of burnt offerings of rams And the fat of fed cattle. I do not delight in the blood of bulls, Or of lambs or goats.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our Sutphen fire engine has one them there levers! It's big n red and I was told never to pull it unless it's truly needed. I guess it's hard to reset?? I didnt know it closed the air intake! Thanks

And sorry to hear bout ur truck, that sucks, I think I woulda cried....
Yes, they can be a pain to reset. Some people will hop into a Detroit powered truck and think the emergency stop is the engine stop cable. When they pull it you have to reset the flaps. We have an old Mack with a Detroit and the flaps have a lot of wear. The flaps will hang in the closed position if you pull the e-stop and you have to take the blower intake off to reset.

I have seen several clutches fly apart. Never seen the top of a trans blow off.

Its seem from what I read at this site your more likely to be taken out by a rod trying to choke of the intake than by the clutch.

Just wonder why no one tries to kill it with the trans. 300 foot pounds of toque is not a lot.

I can understand the fear of a runaway engine.

Isa 1:16 "Wash yourselves, make yourselves clean; Put away the evil of your doings from before My eyes. Cease to do evil,

treeguy

Really, like KsM said, if its your first or any other time, do you really have time to loosen the clamp on the mushroom cover and pull it off? Then block off the opening? There is also the smaller opening on the engine side of the air cleaner housing, you'd have to plug that too right? Is there an easier way unless you pre fab some sort of flapper?

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have one on the truck or real close in a shop, a CO2 extinguisher is an option. The only thing is you would have to have the presence of mind to aim it directly at the intake and discharge the entire bottle. If the engine is still spinning when you run out of CO2, it could restart. Putting water in the intake would not have a good outcome.

rorybellows

oooo, i bet that would cause some cool carnage, too.

all i can here in my mind is that line from the blues brothers

oh no, i think we threw a rawd