• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seeking info about Deuce wheels and truck/car tires

XX

Good day,
I don't have a deuce. Actually, I do not have a military vehicle of any type. I am working on a custom project and need a 20x10 wheel with an extreme backspace. Searching for wheels and backspaces and the like brought me to this site.

My question is most likely odd but hopefully the answer is an easy one for those of you experienced with military vehicles.

Is it possible to put a civilian tire made for a 20x10 wheel on the military 20x10 wheel? Will your answer change if it is a bias ply or a radial? Would sidewall height or lack thereof make a difference?

Thank you for any assistance you can provide

55Cameo

The only insight that I can give into this is that most military wheels are for tube type tires. They have a groove in the rim for the valve stem to come through. Most civilian tires are tubeless. This probably does not apply to all military wheels though.

i can get you custom made wheels 20x10 with any backspace and bolt pattern for $245 a wheel. let me know if i can help.

what truck/ setup are you trying to do? bias and radial dont matter much.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The answer is yes. Bias or radial is no big deal. Sidewall height will make a big differance. If you are looking to put 20s on your Caprice, this is not the way to go.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
XX, that depends on what you call civilian tire. If you mean the "modern" sizes of LT radials on 20" rims offered for off-roaders the answer is NO!
Even if all 20" wheels and tires share the same 5º shoulder angle, 10" wide industrial (heavy weight!) truck wheels, military or not, have beads (or flanges) which are 2" high. LT wheels only are about 3/4"!

May be this little drawing tells enough …?

G.

Attachments

MRT or there is a couple other companies. depends on what you want... dont worry i will not order from USA junk by junk.

Alot of what company i use depends on what design, backspace, size, style, etc...

XX

Still unknown

Thank you for the information. It was a welcome feeling to get so many replies. If I understand correctly there is a disagreement about whether the civilian tire will fit.

Offroadfab, that is a good price for a custom wheel. I ran across a military wheel for much less and being a builder on a budget am looking into using it.

I have built a few custom deals and I like to think out of the box. I do not list all the details because when my custom ideas are known many people dismiss my projects (even though some have become realtiy) It is sometimes hard to challenge established practice.

The only comment that caused me some concern was the one about the flange height. I was wanting to install a low profile tire on the rim. Would flange height cause me a problem?

If a car/truck tire would not work, then what are the feelings about a motorcycle tire. The Avon 280/40/20 comes to mind.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ran across a military wheel
20x7.5", 20x10" or 20x11" or what? Be specific!

I was wanting to install a low profile tire on the rim. Would flange height cause me a problem?
Yes, for the mentioned reasons!

If a car/truck tire would not work, then what are the feelings about a motorcycle tire. The Avon 280/40/20 comes to mind.
Perhaps on a military motorcycle wheel, widened to 10" .....? :)

XX

more on this

Gringletaube--thank you for the response. I understand your position but have found others which claim the opposite.

Also, when looking at large radial motorcycle tires it seems the flange height would be non issue (except might the high lip scrape the road on a tight turn?)
As for wheel size it is mentioned in the first post 20X10.

If it is helpful, the motorcycle tire in question has been fitted to automotive 20x10 wheels without problem.

XX

more on this

Gringletaube--thank you for the response. I understand your position but have found others which claim the opposite.

Also, when looking at large radial motorcycle tires it seems the flange height would be non issue (except might the high lip scrape the road on a tight turn?)
As for wheel size it is mentioned in the first post 20X10.

If it is helpful, the motorcycle tire in question has been fitted to automotive 20x10 wheels without problem.

jimbo*

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: more on this

I may be able to help.
I have seven(7) bare wheel shells in the size 20" X 9" for automotive style tires(as opposed to truck or military tires).
It would be simple enough to get centers cut from 3'8" plate, and set whatever backspace you need.
These shells are new/unused, and will sell them for $75 each, plus shipping.
Jimbo

XX

Thank you for the reply jimbo. Sadly, I am in need of 20x10 wheels. I notice you said " for automotive style tires as opposed to truck or military tires"
That is the information I have been seeking. What is the difference between wheels for automotive use and wheels for truck/military use in regards to tire fitment. Does the difference make tire interchange a no -go? And finally, if motorcycle tires are used instead of automotive/truck tires will it change the answer?

a military tire has a taller bead vs a civilian tire. so in essense. you can mount a military tire on a civilian rim. but its not recommended to mount a civilian tire on a military rim application due to not seating properly

XX

I have searched enough and called enough tire dealers to confirm what was said by gringletaube and confirmed by offroadfabworks. Sorry for being a skeptic, I have a tough time taking people's word for things. I found the infromation provided very helpful as it allowed me to converse with tire manufactures about flange, and bead height and the like. I would not have know what questions to ask otherwise.

Motorcycle tire on a 5 ton wheel, is a no go.

Perhaps this is a question for offroadfabworks as they are in the wheel mod. business, is it possible to have the flange cut down on a military wheel and avoid the bead seating problem? I know in much custom work taking away is easier than having to add. (I only want to make sure this horse is dead :)

BFR

Rocket Surgeon

just think of the loads that would be put on a bike's drive train by trying to make the mass of a 5 ton wheel start and stop... come to think of it it might make wheelies easier