• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Seized pintle hook finally loose

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After many months of half lame attempts to get the pintle loose, using any number of "penetrants" without success, I finally went at it with the 10lb sledge and it budged!
Amazing what a little rust can do to hold something in place. The grease cavity was dry and the zerk fitting to it broken, so water did its thing.
This gives me some hope in getting the stubborn torque rods loose as well...just not enough room to swing the BHF.

Attachments

frodobaggins

Everyone should have a BFH in their arsenal.

It's amazing what the proper amount of force or the proper application of leverage can accomplish.

datsunaholic

When my USNR unit got our M109 in early 2000 the pintle hook was stuck 90 degrees sideways, and for all intents had probably been stuck that way since Desert Storm. It took pumping lube oil in the zerk, a BFH, and a long metal bar through the hook as a lever to get the thing moving. Once greased up it stayed functional. PMs hadn't been done much on that truck.

rideni

I had the same problem after using it to connect a chain loop to pull a stump. it went sidewways, the zerg fitting is gone, I took the 20lb sledge hammer and drove that home.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Roscoe, the cabin is a previous "handywork", started to build it in '89, once you move in, it just never gets finished. :)

Stretch, the torque rods are a little different on this truck, there is only one end with a rubber bushing and it's bolted via the cross piece so it can't "fall off". The other end is a sealed-for-life steel ball joint type of thing, so it can't fall off either, no need for the safety rigging mentioned in the link above.
The reason I have to remove them is to "cook" the ball joint to loosen it up and re-install it.

Using a torch is also out of the question since the surrounding cavities are foam filled (remember these trucks swim), so too much heat may cause some polyurethane to burn.
I also never like the torch thing, it's bound to upset any heat treatment to the tapered pin or its seat.
The wedge idea was tested on the stuck pintle, but only deformed the metal edges as the wedge (chisel) was driven in.
The jack hammer worked on one, so I'm encouraged by it and will use it again on the remaining eleven rods.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just mentioned the thread for getting them loose, didn't even think about the mod I had done. Hope they all pop out for you, I know some of them on the M108 were a real pain.

Dennis