• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Self-correcting master cylinder leak?

joshs1ofakindxj

I honestly can't say what DOT was in the system when I purchased the truck. I also found a Grade 8 bolt used as a shear pin for the winch so I'm taking a closer look at things now and reading more TM's!

Regardless, it sounds like we're all singing from the same hymnal now.

just looking at the mastercyl, showing some corrosion , would make me look at the bore to see if she has pitting on the inside, you said you used dot 3 not knocking 3 but it has a habit of collecting moisture. mastercyl are everywnere for around 75.00 cheep insurance i think . master cylinders are designed to pressurize before the seal. if you are passing fluid , ar ant pressure tells me to advise you to get a new mastercylinder ,. have fun :p

joshs1ofakindxj

I picked up a good master cylinder and air pack this weekend for $75.

DOT 3 is in fact hygroscopic. It absorbs moisture, which is why DOT 3 brake fluid should be changed every other year or so. You've been changing the brake fluid in all your vehicles, like I have been, right?

DOT 5 does not absorb moisture it and the moisture collects in low spots in the system like the wheel cylinders and master cylinder.

Pick your poison. I see myself doing brake work all the time, so I'm going with the cheaper and more common fluid.

There are some other differences like how they react on paint, or boiling points, but I'm not racing a show truck.

Srjeeper

After reading thru this my first impression is and was, you had too much pressure on the bleeder. It calls for between 15 & 25 lbs, but it didn't look like you have a guage to really tell how much you may have been using.

My bleeder does have the guage and it doesn't take much to get to 15 lbs. and that's what I've always bleed mine at. If your breaks are still working properly and not dragging, then I'd bet they are OK.

That's just my 2cents and you need to do what makes you the most confident & secure.

Good luck,,,[thumbzup]