• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Selfridge Deuces

harleyrkc

What do you have on 5628 and 5646? I looked all of them over but had to go pretty quickly since I had to go to work.
5646 - Soft Top, Winch, Tarps & Bows, Runs, No Brakes. All I did to my last truck was bleed the master cyclinder.

5628 - Hard Top, Winch, Missing Bench Seat, Good Rubber, Troop Seats, Good Brakes, Doesn't Run. Not bad if you get it running.

How much did you get them for?

goldwing2000

Banned
Thanks. I paid $4600 for the pair, plus tax and fees.

That's pretty much the same info I had, except for the brakes on 46. Was it just no pedal? I'll take some fluid with me and hope for the best. I'd really like to bring a co-driver and recover them both at the same time (one driven, one towed). If one goes but doesn't stop and the other stops but doesn't go, then I might be SOL and have to go twice and tow them both.

harleyrkc

Thanks. I paid $4600 for the pair, plus tax and fees.

That's pretty much the same info I had, except for the brakes on 46. Was it just no pedal? I'll take some fluid with me and hope for the best. I'd really like to bring a co-driver and recover them both at the same time (one driven, one towed). If one goes but doesn't stop and the other stops but doesn't go, then I might be SOL and have to go twice and tow them both.

I believe they'll let you check and add fluid but you can't work on them under any circumstances. Which stinks since bleeding the brakes is extremely easy. If you have to tow them Vito Rhuelies Towing is a local company that already has base access. I need to tow one of mine too, so I'm looking to buy a tow bar.

Preacherboy

One of those trucks went for $3800? Holy cow!!!! I know where ones are for sale privately that can be test drove cheaper than that...people are nuts I guess or just ignorant.

I bought 5643 for a friend, it is the one he wanted and he did a preview...I will for sure have to borrow someones tow bar if absolutely no work can be done. My recovery is about a 1.5 hour drive. My friend said the truck looked like it was running in the photos even though in the description it said "unknown running condition"

harleyrkc

PreacherBoy I was told in no uncertain terms there will be no work done to those trucks while on base. Which sucks because the leading issue is soft brake pedals. I'd bet almost every truck with a soft pedal only needs the brakes bled. As for the unknown running condition..... I noticed quite a few trucks that you could tell had recently been moved but online showed unknown running condtion, and I was told by Joe over a year ago that every truck on that lot was driven in. I suspect some of those trucks just need a little coaxing to get them running again.

zak

When I bought one of the Selfridge trucks last year, Joe let me check it out before I left the lot. He had it running before I got there but it had low tires and I wanted to check the fluids and of course the brakes. He told me to come and get him when I was done and he would jump me again.

goldwing2000

Banned
Yeah, 5646 says "unknown running condition" but it's clearly running in the video. I'll be picking up a towbar this weekend, so I may just tow that one to the Wal-Mart outside the gate, bleed the brakes and see if the pedal comes up. If it does, I'll drop it with a sentry and then go get 5628. Even if I can't get 5628 running, I'll be able to tow it home. It's about a 2-hr drive but it's better than paying for a tow. :)

Last edited:

hcso1988

Hiya. I too was a lucky winner. Anyone have any notes on 5640? It too says "unknown running condition" but the video clearly shows the engine running and it moved forward about 2 feet. You can see the marks on the tires where its been sitting and they moved it forward. This is my first buy so it will be forever until the paperwork clears and I can go get it, but if anyone happens to be there, I would greatly apprecate a look over if you can. Thanks fellas! I'm pretty happy to finally be apart of the MV community :beer:

hcso1988

Good deal. I've been reading all the horror stories of trucks being parts raped while sitting waiting for EUC's to clear. It would be nice to pick it up with a few of you experienced fellas around. I do have a guy from my work who knows a thing or 2 about trucks and we are both mechanics for the local city municipality. We don't really work on vehicles but we have pretty good mechanical aptitude. He was planing on going with to see if we could drive it home. If not I'll have to find someone who can trailer it home.

goldwing2000

Banned
Yeah, I'm a little afraid of losing things on my trucks, too. Just show up armed with as many pictures as you can find, in case there's any discrepancies or obvious things missing. You have limited options if your auction lot is not as described but you do have options.

hcso1988

Yeah, I saved all the pictures from the listing but I bought it site unseen. Rookie mistake I guess :p I have high hopes for it to run well enough to make it the 300 mile trip home. Another rookie mistake i suppose lol :mrgreen:

Preacherboy

From what another guy said there will be absolutly no working on these trucks in the lot.

Also, from what I understand from the previews there was a guy with you every second, so I doubt anything will come up missing. Plus it is a major offense to theive on a military base. I think you will be pretty safe...if good old laid back Joe was there you would have time to work on your truck.

If you are a rookie I would plan on trailering it home, although I did the same thing as you as a rookie and drove a truck home all the way from PA! I won't ever do that again though with a truck in unknown condition.

hcso1988

I appreciate the offer. I will definitely keep you guys posted on when my EUC clears. I sent it in on Friday but they bounced it back for a revision. I resent it so we'll see what happens. Also, I've been doing a bit of digging but havent found a clear answer yet. Do you guys get these things registered before you take them off the lot? If so, how does one go about it?

Preacherboy

Don't bet on it. My first EUC only took 2 weeks. You might be there the same day as the rest of us!

I don't have any notes on 5640 (I was only looking at winch trucks). Harleyrkc or Maxxplanck might.

My first EUC was over 65 days and was cancelled. My last EUC was less than a week (I've purchased about a dozen items from GL).

You never know, some lots things get moved quickly because they need space for more, that is definately not the case at SANGB. I'm sure people will write in on this thread what happens at their recoveries, if we are all on the same day we can for sure help each other out.

Preacherboy

I appreciate the offer. I will definitely keep you guys posted on when my EUC clears. I sent it in on Friday but they bounced it back for a revision. I resent it so we'll see what happens. Also, I've been doing a bit of digging but havent found a clear answer yet. Do you guys get these things registered before you take them off the lot? If so, how does one go about it?
In MI it is pretty standard to be allowed to drive a just purchased vehicle straight home and be ok. However, check your state's laws.

Also, no real way to get it registered anyway because GL will not issue you a SF-97 until after the item is removed from their property. Maybe you could get some type of temporary plate or something...I usually just bring a proof of insurance from another vehicle and the signed off receipt from GL...when you sign his copy, make him (the site rep) sign your copy if you are worried.