• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sellable value for a M35A3

sandcobra164

I've read the whole thread and am quite amazed that no curse words have been exchanged. To the OP, you won't find much love on this site from a "flipper" standpoint. Most of us on here have bought stuff at auction and are not willing to pay your "mark up" on something that you likely have no knowledge of and no time invested in. All you may have accomplished is beat someone on here who wanted the truck out. I'm not a fan of the A3's but a few are. I don't like being limited to 48 mph on large tires. I'm aware that you could swap in some parts and an overdrive trans and get better performance. I could drop in a 6BT with almost no mods and make roughly the same power. The limiting factor is the diff's don't like to spin super fast on either arrangement. One guy posted that he has no friends on this site. Well, all I can say is I do and the only way we met was through working through some of my problems and some of their problems together. I know real names from screen names as well as phone numbers and we talk pretty regular to one another. If that's not your cup of tea, oh well, it is for quite a few on here. If you don't want to be friends, don't look for much help either coming or going. If you think this site and the people on it are full or S###, go find another group of people. This group from my opinion is very down to earth and mostly helpful. Some of them will try to get you drunk if you go by their house but if that's the worst that happens, they don't seem to be too bad. I'm sure there are some site's that get excited over correct stenciling on the fuel tank and stay superficial as **** throughout the process. Ya'll's trucks must be just that nice. Mine ain't and I have no intentions of trying to get it that way. MINE'S A RALLY TRUCK!!!! That means for a party, stripped of canvas and ready to raise **** on the trails, sling some mud, get stuck or pull stuck things out and take me back to get trashed by the fire. That's how the GA group rolls and I fit right in just like alot of the people on this site!!!

Hooper

It's all about supply and demand.

For the last 3 years, I have bid as high as 7000-7500 for at least a dozen A3s, never won a single one.

My interest weakens.

This year I have watched similar trucks selling for 3500-4500.

I bet when they are all out, the prices will go up.

That's just how it goes.

What they are worth, is only up to the seller and a potential buyer.

I think anyone that buys first and asks later, what something is "worth", well, ain't so smart....

Right, I really didn't buy it to make money but thought if I could then I would sell it and simply go buy another one. Myabe a five ton, I don't know yet, I will wait and see how much I like this one.

ryker725

If you did all of the foot work and expense to get it titled and registered in your state then it will be worth more to some buyers. Like I said earlier, it depends in your geography.. In Louisiana, Mississippi Alabama and Texas a nice runing A3 will sell retail for $7 - $9K TOPS. And that is with a title.. They are selling in GL auctions in those states for $3.500 - $7,000.. I've also seen a few non-running trucks go under $3K down here.. Up North and out west they go for more for some reason..

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you did all of the foot work and expense to get it titled and registered in your state then it will be worth more to some buyers. Like I said earlier, it depends in your geography.. In Louisiana, Mississippi Alabama and Texas a nice runing A3 will sell retail for $7 - $9K TOPS. And that is with a title.. They are selling in GL auctions in those states for $3.500 - $7,000.. I've also seen a few non-running trucks go under $3K down here.. Up North and out west they go for more for some reason..
Michigan is a title friendly state SF-97 and bill of sale from GL and you will have a title in the mail in less than 2 weeks for under $25 dollars , plates are a different story unless you go with restrictive historic plates.

Hooper

I've read the whole thread and am quite amazed that no curse words have been exchanged. To the OP, you won't find much love on this site from a "flipper" standpoint. Most of us on here have bought stuff at auction and are not willing to pay your "mark up" on something that you likely have no knowledge of and no time invested in. All you may have accomplished is beat someone on here who wanted the truck out. I'm not a fan of the A3's but a few are. I don't like being limited to 48 mph on large tires. I'm aware that you could swap in some parts and an overdrive trans and get better performance. I could drop in a 6BT with almost no mods and make roughly the same power. The limiting factor is the diff's don't like to spin super fast on either arrangement. One guy posted that he has no friends on this site. Well, all I can say is I do and the only way we met was through working through some of my problems and some of their problems together. I know real names from screen names as well as phone numbers and we talk pretty regular to one another. If that's not your cup of tea, oh well, it is for quite a few on here. If you don't want to be friends, don't look for much help either coming or going. If you think this site and the people on it are full or S###, go find another group of people. This group from my opinion is very down to earth and mostly helpful. Some of them will try to get you drunk if you go by their house but if that's the worst that happens, they don't seem to be too bad. I'm sure there are some site's that get excited over correct stenciling on the fuel tank and stay superficial as **** throughout the process. Ya'll's trucks must be just that nice. Mine ain't and I have no intentions of trying to get it that way. MINE'S A RALLY TRUCK!!!! That means for a party, stripped of canvas and ready to raise **** on the trails, sling some mud, get stuck or pull stuck things out and take me back to get trashed by the fire. That's how the GA group rolls and I fit right in just like alot of the people on this site!!!

First I did not buy the truck just to sell. I have owned a M35A2 for several years before I was married. I love these trucks and this was my first chance to own an A3. I have appreciated everyones thoughts and opinions on my question. I never really expected so much energy around a simple question. Hopefully the CTIS works well enough for a couple of trips to silver lake with the family.

Last edited:

RealCavDog

First I did not buy the truck just to sell. I have owned a M35A2 for several years before I was married. I love these trucks and this was my first chance to own an A3. I have appreciated everyones thoughts and opinions on my question. I never really expected so much energy around a simple question. Hopefully the CTIS works well enough for a couple of trips to silver lake with the family.

Lets do a quick review ;

1) Question asked and answered by various members with a fairly consistant range of price, with examples and verifiable sources. Most of which was readily available to you, and all of which you eventually revealed as already being aware of.

2) Most helpful and accurate answers responded to by a rebuttal and/or in a questioning manner as to suggest lack of knowledge by responding membership.

3) Confirmed approval of posted response that was an obvious slam to a large part of the membership, your right of course, but, way to get known fast !

4) Still no picture of the subject vehicle as to possibly bolster your case of having possession of one of the nicest A3s on the market, not stated by you of course, but just trying to understand the justification for the desired, AND stated, $8000.00 profit ! (but your not a flipper !)

5) You have been very effective at tripling your post count, so great job ! In one very ridiculous thread you have also helped several of us find out who is real and sincere about building long term friendships and alliances, and who the . . . well, we will just say, those that are not !

My question to you is very simple.

Why ask if you really did not want to know ?

drgreg was right, and if you did some research into a few of the other responding posters, you might find that really have done a very good job of "stepping on it", though they are far more polite and gracious than you really appear to deserve.

I hope I am mistaken and that maybe this was all just a misunderstood subject. If so, hope all works out for you and if you do really have an A3 or maybe still your A2, we will get to enjoy your participation with photos and updates.

Good Luck, Jay

Hooper

Lets do a quick review ;

1) Question asked and answered by various members with a fairly consistant range of price, with examples and verifiable sources. Most of which was readily available to you, and all of which you eventually revealed as already being aware of.

2) Most helpful and accurate answers responded to by a rebuttal and/or in a questioning manner as to suggest lack of knowledge by responding membership.

3) Confirmed approval of posted response that was an obvious slam to a large part of the membership, your right of course, but, way to get known fast !

4) Still no picture of the subject vehicle as to possibly bolster your case of having possession of one of the nicest A3s on the market, not stated by you of course, but just trying to understand the justification for the desired, AND stated, $8000.00 profit ! (but your not a flipper !)

5) You have been very effective at tripling your post count, so great job ! In one very ridiculous thread you have also helped several of us find out who is real and sincere about building long term friendships and alliances, and who the . . . well, we will just say, those that are not !

My question to you is very simple.

Why ask if you really did not want to know ?

drgreg was right, and if you did some research into a few of the other responding posters, you might find that really have done a very good job of "stepping on it", though they are far more polite and gracious than you really appear to deserve.

I hope I am mistaken and that maybe this was all just a misunderstood subject. If so, hope all works out for you and if you do really have an A3 or maybe still your A2, we will get to enjoy your participation with photos and updates.

Good Luck, Jay

I sold the A2 years ago. It was a 1971 with a winch cupped tires and a leaky master cylinder. I never fixed it so I drove around with a full bottle of silicone brake fluid.

I came here with the assumption that the trucks were selling private party for more than 6500. And I'm fine with that. It does appear like I will be looking to upgrade the transmission to a 6 speed at some point, but like I said, I planned to keep it. If I do find someone that has to have it, I will sell it and buy a M925.

I can' t figure out how to post a picture of the truck. Is it
?

Maybe this link will work, this is the truck I bought.

http://www.govliquidation.com/aucimg/photos/36202/36201096.jpg

http://www.govliquidation.com/aucimg/photos/36202/36201112.jpg

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sold the A2 years ago. It was a 1971 with a winch cupped tires and a leaky master cylinder. I never fixed it so I drove around with a full bottle of silicone brake fluid.

A additude like this probably won't sit well with alot of members here myself included . Rather than fix a known problem with a leaky master cylinder , you just carry more brake fluid . This is a single circut brakes system in a 14,000 pound truck ,yet you would rather drive around a unsafe truck endangering your own life , but more important the lives of everyone else on the road . You can get a master cylinder rebuild kit for less money than a gallon of D.O.T. 5
you are exactly the kind of person this hobby does not need . One trip with bad brakes causing a horrific accident will eliminate years and years of hard word by members here and the various MVPA's acrossed the country to promote a safe and enjoyable hobby.

Last edited:

Hooper

A additude like this probably won't sit well with alot of members here myself included . Rather than fix a known problem with a leaky master cylinder , you just carry more brake fluid . This is a single circut brakes system in a 14,000 pound truck ,yet you would rather drive around a unsafe truck endangering your own life , but more important the lives of everyone else on the road . You can get a master cylinder rebuild kit for less money than a gallon of D.O.T. 5
you are exactly the kind of person this hobby does not need . One trip with bad brakes causing a horrific accident will eliminate years and years of hard word by members here and the various MVPA's acrossed the country to promte a safe and enjoyable hobby.

Lighten up Francis.

NEIOWA

Why are you guys getting your panties in such a wad over this? Its a Duece is a 2-1/2 is an M35. Like firefighters drinking the koolaid from Pierce (a brandd of iretrucks).

I've got experience with Allisons in M923series and many fire trucks and there is nothing inherently bad about them. Certainly no more so than your minivan or Cadillac. Yes eat some power but do have some advantages. Certainly in the fire service (and military).

I also have experince with CAT in a variety of fire trucks and there is no reason I can think of that would make me take them off the bidder/supplier list. Have a C13 that is a bit thirsty but WTH. Not exactly a 1980 Olds 5.7l diesel are they?

And both in a truck that is going to go 50000mi in the next 30years WTH are you whinning about?

McCrackin

As an owner of an M35A3, I can't really complain. I paid $7k for it last year and drove it home from Camp Shelby. It starts everytime and I drive it all over South Florida. I consider myself lucky with that purchase but then again how can you go wrong when you buy a huge truck for the price of what it's engine cost.
Those of you who have an A3 enjoy it, those of you who don't own one or don't like them...Relax. There are many different models out there, get something you like.
A lot of comments are centered on bashing the A3 because of it's role in extending the life of a very old fleet of trucks and the use of the 3116 Cat and on being an automatic etc...If you don't want problems with your A3 or other models then never buy the cheapest one you see on GL auctions, you'll notice that some trucks always seem to fetch more than others, there's a reason for that, most trucks have been previewed by someone and the "best of" the event # have been identified.

The Slower vs Faster issue for me is a non-issue, going 55mph or 65mph as mentioned in a modified A2. Where would I possibly be driving to that would require me to push the truck to it's limits...I enjoy chugging along all "large and in charge" EVERYONE gets out of the way.

I think this passion for military vehicles we all share should be viewed for what it is...A hobby.
Anyway that my 2 cents worth.

Hooper

As an owner of an M35A3, I can't really complain. I paid $7k for it last year and drove it home from Camp Shelby. It starts everytime and I drive it all over South Florida. I consider myself lucky with that purchase but then again how can you go wrong when you buy a huge truck for the price of what it's engine cost.
Those of you who have an A3 enjoy it, those of you who don't own one or don't like them...Relax. There are many different models out there, get something you like.
A lot of comments are centered on bashing the A3 because of it's role in extending the life of a very old fleet of trucks and the use of the 3116 Cat and on being an automatic etc...If you don't want problems with your A3 or other models then never buy the cheapest one you see on GL auctions, you'll notice that some trucks always seem to fetch more than others, there's a reason for that, most trucks have been previewed by someone and the "best of" the event # have been identified.

The Slower vs Faster issue for me is a non-issue, going 55mph or 65mph as mentioned in a modified A2. Where would I possibly be driving to that would require me to push the truck to it's limits...I enjoy chugging along all "large and in charge" EVERYONE gets out of the way.

I think this passion for military vehicles we all share should be viewed for what it is...A hobby.
Anyway that my 2 cents worth.

Thank you.

Did you get insurance on it before you drove it home? I will be taking mine across Lake Michigan but still need to drive it 250 miles.

AMX

Thank you.

Did you get insurance on it before you drove it home? I will be taking mine across Lake Michigan but still need to drive it 250 miles.

I drove mine 300 miles home, between 50-55mph. Everyone says 48mph but my gps and follow vehicle said 55mph. You also will hear that you shouldnt turn one past 2500rpm. these engines are rated for 2800rpm just as they are in the school buses around here, and they are available with over twice the hp of the decuce models. I got insurance before the trip because the time span between winning,EUC clearing and actually picking up was beyond my state farm grace period. They give me 2 weeks to insure any new purchase, I was concerned that that would begin at the date of auction award.

Last edited:

Chief_919

Insurance is a must.

There is a thread on here where a new member with a newly purchased M35A3 had his front tire blow on the way home, he ended up going off the road and doing a lot of damage to his truck.

It could have been a lot worse. Imagine had there been people or other vehicles there.

The smart thing to do is haul it or have it hauled- you have no idea if the truck is roadworthy, what shape the brakes are in, if the tires are weak because they sat a long time flat (very common on A3's due to leaky CTIS valves), what shape the wheel brearings are in, etc. But if you want to chance driving it home, have your insurance card in hand and make sure that your policy will cover the vehicle even when you don't have a valid registration or tag on it.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Wow , im gone for 4 days and this threads 10 pages lol. I couldnt read all the post.

The truck earlier was mine. I gave up on SS forum selling it , good god I had some tire kickers. I dont mind talking trucks and sharing pictures. Its a fun hobby and I love talking about A3's, but if I have one more guy telling me he is going to send me money for my truck or call me back and doesnt im going to go nuts. '
So I put it on egay and it sold yesterday for $8,100.00. I listed it for $6,600 same as I first put it on here. Thats what I had into it after shipping, batteries , and all. Really was turn key , just needs to be cleaned up and re-painted.
As you can see OP , your going to get everyones Free opinion on A3's , from prices that you asked about to peoples opinion on A3's and how crappy they are. Just look around on GL in your area and Egay and a few other places you will find one. As long as I still have mine here your welcome to come over and take it out for a spin to learn about it. - Jay

AMX

Wow , im gone for 4 days and this threads 10 pages lol. I couldnt read all the post.

The truck earlier was mine. I gave up on SS forum selling it , good god I had some tire kickers. I dont mind talking trucks and sharing pictures. Its a fun hobby and I love talking about A3's, but if I have one more guy telling me he is going to send me money for my truck or call me back and doesnt im going to go nuts. '
So I put it on egay and it sold yesterday for $8,100.00. I listed it for $6,600 same as I first put it on here. Thats what I had into it after shipping, batteries , and all. Really was turn key , just needs to be cleaned up and re-painted.
As you can see OP , your going to get everyones Free opinion on A3's , from prices that you asked about to peoples opinion on A3's and how crappy they are. Just look around on GL in your area and Egay and a few other places you will find one. As long as I still have mine here your welcome to come over and take it out for a spin to learn about it. - Jay

Was that the one with serial# different from mine?

AMX

Insurance is a must.

There is a thread on here where a new member with a newly purchased M35A3 had his front tire blow on the way home, he ended up going off the road and doing a lot of damage to his truck.

It could have been a lot worse. Imagine had there been people or other vehicles there.

The smart thing to do is haul it or have it hauled- you have no idea if the truck is roadworthy, what shape the brakes are in, if the tires are weak because they sat a long time flat (very common on A3's due to leaky CTIS valves), what shape the wheel brearings are in, etc. But if you want to chance driving it home, have your insurance card in hand and make sure that your policy will cover the vehicle even when you don't have a valid registration or tag on it.
Thats why you inspect it before driving. The tires however can be internally damaged, I guess the best way is to replace them all with new. I wonder how many have CTIS leaks or just O-ring leaks from the two piece wheels.

RealCavDog

Jay, I started watching yours on Epay after I posted not seeing yours here ! Figured it would fly out of your driveway at that price, and I did forward your link to a few friends, but I guarantee you didn't get any strokers wasting your time from here ! No cash-No dance in our world !

That was an awesome price and still pretty good for what you got out of it, and VERY pleased you did good ! That has been the purpose of this entire exercise, Reality checking ! I have wavered between the A2 and A3 for years now, and joining this group has reiterated the original problem, and price is now and always will be an issue ! When a person such as yourself enters the ring with a sweet deal like that, all bets are off !

Sure, I do deeply appreciate the multifuel/pushstart classics, but getting older, power steering, automatic, electric wipers and great heaters is very nice for an MV ! From the truck world, I'm a Cat fan, but you can't run questionable fuel through them in an emergency situation . . . so the balancing act continues !

Anyway, as we all now know, the OP has not even recovered his yet, so the original issues are still in the air, though he does seem to be catching on, and that is always great when new folks, including myself, advance in the ranks !
Sorry my timing was off, or you would have been driving a bit closer to Missouri than where you are on the East Coast , but am very glad you did better than breaking even ! [thumbzup]

And to the OP, Hooper, what porkysplace posted does bear serious consideration, but when I read that I assumed much younger age and much less experience, we all learn as we mature and especially start a family, so good luck with your new truck and keep learning !

Hooper

That's cool. I had a hunch that 13-18k was nuts but felt 8-10 was about going rate on the street. If I just paid 5000 for a truck worth 6000, I would be much less prone to dump lots of money into it, but with a couple of grand in breathing room I may add some 395's to it. Thanks for your post.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks