• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Selling on Craig's list

Gee, can't believe my good fortune.
Sold an item for $995.00
Buyer sent me $1500.00
I being such an honest guy, cancelled the transfer, and contacted PayPal to make sure the poor guy hadn't accidently overpaid others.
Wierd huh?

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys, might be a good idea to spell out the scam so others will understand what to look for.

Just some jerk. Responded to my ad, paid with PayPal. Paid over the amount asked, an automatic signal to run away. Next thing is refund my $$$ I paid over or who knows what. Just cancelled the payment, notify PayPal and don't look back.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Next thing is "Hey, my buddy Frank will pick it up, can you give him the extra $$$ while I dispute this with Paypal or some other shenanigans to stiff you."

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a way to scam the scammer that tries this but it is not necessarily 100% legal in all jurisdictions--- lets just say that I tried it once and took the scammer for a change--- well it was in all likelihood paypal that just absorbed the cost rather than ruffle feathers but I like to think that if enough people did it, it would force companies like paypal to address the issue (which they are perfectly capable of doing now-- they just don't want to).........

Last edited:

Al Harvey

The old "My friend will pick it up" is becoming very fashionable. :-|
Isn't that called the SS Express? LOL

But in all seriousness. If things don't sound right, back out right away. If the deal is TOO good, stay away. Don't forget the couple that was killed when they went to pick up his dream Mustang?

I want to add this in for others to look at and think about. When you post something on Craigslist, don't put your home phone number on the ad. Also don't use your actual home address for the map that shows up on the ad. I teach a class that helps raise people's awareness and I use Craigslist as on of my examples. I've randomly selected different ads and if they use a home phone or their address, I can usually bring up a ton of information about them with in 5-10 min. The type of information I'm talking about is names, kids names, relatives, value of their home, where they work, the layout of their property, etc. If someone is wanting to view the item you are selling, the best option (though not always practical) is to meet them in a large parking lot. Make sure it's a populated parking lot like a Wal-Mart or Grocery Store. This puts you and the buyer/seller on neutral ground. Also if your the seller, your not allowing them on your property to scope you out. It's also I good idea to take a friend with you, this allows you another set of eyes to keep watch. I'll wrap this up right there, but if ya'll would like a few more tips and tricks let me know. There are some other subtle things you can do to avoid becoming the target of a crime or scam.

jmb6741

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've gotten the , I'll pay extra and give it to my friend when he picks it up before and also the I'm at a military base and about to go in the field so respond to this different email because I have no access to a phone. If you get a response and it's more than a couple of sentences long beware !!

machinist75

I was just sent a certified check for something I was selling on Craigslist this past Friday that was supposed to be for $700 but was "accidentally written for $1830.Was told to cach it, keep an extra $50 for my troubles and give the rest to the person picking it up. The buyer was supposedly in California, the usps tracking said it came from Las Vegas, the return address on the package was Vermont, and the bank was in Tennessee. I think I'm just going to tear it up. Would it do any good to give the check, envelope, and copies of the texts to the police?

tobyS

I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale. Let me know if you are interested...
I buy bridges. Steel ones. Last one was 90 tons and had (120) 14" I beams 18' long. I'm still using them. That was back when scrap was up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks