• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

sensitive subject matter

PaulbusMax

In an effort to avoid runing afoul of the rules which i have inadvertently done once already, (me- bad), i am in search of information. I would theoretically be interested in finding an M1009. Once or twice i have looked at certain websites dedicated to the "rehoming" of vehicles such as this. All i am trying to find is a rough, ballpark, average, non specific price range these vehicles may be obtained for. Unfortunately the site i may or may not look at for this info does not display that info upon completion of negotiations with the potential buyer. Have i screwed up yet? A PM or something would be appreciated. My wife suggested we get his and hers M1009's, which is ok by me. I am not referring to any current or near events. If i have violated rules again, i apologize and will delete, just say the word. Thank you.

67_C-30

I bought mine from GL and paid a little over $1500 for it. I looked in on the ebay, craigslist, etc and never found any that seemed worth whsat they asking. I ended up with a nicer truck than anything I could find for $3000 or less. The downside to GL is the wait for the first-time EUC. I do consider the wait worth it now that I have it. I would highly recommend previewing a truck prior to buying on GL.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Maybe sign up for sites un-named and place a minimum bid right at the open of the sale. You can rest assured the item will go higher than minimum. Once the sale has closed, The true ending price will be in your "my bid history". Then you will know the going prices.

1984M1009

I paid $1800 for mine from a private owner with a bad flywheel which was too much after I found out all the problems it had once i got it running.

I have seen them for as high as $4,000 Which I don't think it would be worth I would rather have a nice civilian K5 or a M1008 for that price.

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bought my M1009 in April of this year for $3400 from a company that leases/rents military vehicles to the studios. So in a way I've got a movie star in my driveway!:p

I did throw my wallet at it a couple of times, but it has been a great truck...so far.

Attachments

Sardot1

You've got a wife that wants a M1009 for herself! She's a keeper.[thumbzup]

I got my M1009 from GL for $2500. You also need to figure in the 10% auction fee and any state sales tax, along with transport costs if you are having it shipped to you vs. picking it up yourself. I bought mine based on the GL ad alone and did not inspect it prior to bidding, so I took some chances with it. It was listed as "driven on to lot" which tends to contribute to a higher price. I had it towed to a Chevy dealer to get it off the GL lot and to have it inspected and an oil change done. Turned out it runs great and only needed the belts tightened a bit, and had a rusted thru rocker panel that I could not see in the photos.

Others that say "unknown running condition", "does not start" or "towed onto lot" may have some major problems or may be something easy like dead batteries or as in one case recently the glow plug controller card was upside down. Unless you inspect it you are taking your chances, but you may do okay and get a good price on a good truck (or get a low priced POS:p). Read the ad and look at the photos carefully. Engine parts in the back seat, or indications that it was forklifted are not good things. Watch out for rust-buckets from northern states.

Prices can vary widely. I had one I bid higher on and saw it get bid up well over $5K, and I've seen what seemed to be nice ones go for under $1500 and I had forgot to bid on them.

As for eBay, same rules apply, but if you cant personally inspect the truck, before bidding get the seller to agree to an inspection after you win the auction, with the stipulation that you can back out if there is a material difference between the auction description and the truck. If he wont agree to this then move on. You can pay a professional to check the truck and report to you for under $100. eBay prices tend to be a bit high IMHO, so that may be a good place to sell them.

Here is my Ebay disaster story...I bought my first M1009 off of eBay for $3600, I paid what I figured was a bit of a premium for it as the photos showed the body was in great condition and seemed to go along with the advertised low mileage. I trusted the seller, and this was a huge mistake.:doh: What arrived was a rusted-out POS that would not run, had about 100K miles more than advertised, and apparently the seller had used starter spray to get it started and onto the truck as seven of the glow plugs were fried. Considering the overall condition of the truck and the additional cost just to get it running, I cut my losses and got rid of it. aua

Oh, and that eBay "Vehicle Purchase Protection" that they say the truck qualifies for...Don't believe it! Read the rules. The trucks are too old. I was just SOL!.:cry:

Good luck in your hunt for your M1009s. I just got mine on Friday. It is a lot of fun to drive.:driver: My 2 year old drags me out to it to give him a ride in it.

linx310

I got a M1009 for a little over $1500 and it runs great. Some one installed the glow plug controller card upside down. Flipped it around and it started right up.

There are some great looking M1009s on GL right now. And some have pictures of them running.

Brad M

Got my M1008 off of Craigslist, but learn to expand your searches to find the needles in the haystack. I searched every Craigslist site within 250 miles of where I was. I also expanded my search to odd key words that would apply. Mine was listed as “1984-Chevrolet Pickup” and I found it on the Boone NC site 117 miles from where I live with no mention of M1008 or CUCV. The owner new what it was but apparently failed to list it that way so after saving the money for a few months I scooped it up. Two minutes after we exchanged the money for title someone walked up and tried to buy it.

Sardot1

Got my M1008 off of Craigslist, but learn to expand your searches to find the needles in the haystack. I searched every Craigslist site within 250 miles of where I was. I also expanded my search to odd key words that would apply. Mine was listed as “1984-Chevrolet Pickup” .
For M1009s "Blazer Diesel" works well, you will get a few civilian ones come up, though. Not everyone uses "M1009" or "CUCV" in their ads but almost all will have the words "Blazer" and "diesel" in them.

Also, to expand your search on Craigslist checkout Crazedlist.org, you can search the whole country if you want.

I have not seen any running M1009s go for less than $2k in a while now, which does not mean you won't find one for that, but if you are serious about getting one and want the most value, I would bid the very most you can afford on day one of the auction, and then wait until it is over. The way I see it, and yes, I know I have a strange perception sometimes, but here goes: The last hour of the auction is where everyone is bidding in a frenzy to get the items they want. If you have already placed a bid that is pretty far up there, chances are that item will hit 1700 hrs, and no one will bid on it because it is hopefully sitting several hundred dollars higher than other items just like it, so they will bid on those and hope they get them for less. Meanwhile, your item clears with a respectable bid, but not one you were in a bidding war over, and you go home a happy man. I have been using this approach, and I believe this is completely fine to discuss here, so if not, I too will be happy to delete what is not, and found I usually pay real close to the minimum of what the others average out at after the auction is over. The last thing you want to get stuck in is bidding over the last couple of items that are still going at 1730 or 1745 hrs. Everytime that has happened to me, I usually find I have over bid by the time all is said and done.
Unfortunately, now that I have told you this, I have to kill you...:drool: (Just kidding)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks